Attachments

• DSCI0409-1.JPG
    DSCI0409-1.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 269
Upvote 0

Cachefind09

Oct 31, 2010
Clark County Ohio
Usually scrapers have a smooth side and a side that has parallel flaking. If you don't see any flaking on the other side I would question whether it is anything. From what I see in the picture, I would have just left it if the other side shows no sign of being worked.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cachefind09 said:
Usually scrapers have a smooth side and a side that has parallel flaking. If you don't see any flaking on the other side I would question whether it is anything. From what I see in the picture, I would have just left it if the other side shows no sign of being worked.

While I agree with that most Scrapers will have a smooth side a and flaked side making them a Uniface Tool, not all of them do and I have a few hundred or more that prove that fact. We find these type on Ft Ancient sites around here and call them Turtle Back Scrapers and the are flaked on both faces.

The first two pictures show an entire shelf full of these types and a tray of some of the better ones and the third pictures show the bottom, or the usually flat/smooth side, of these types and you can see that they are flaked.

Kieth's piece looks to have some flaking done to it and may very well be a Scraper of some type.

Attachments

• Pottery8.jpg
    Pottery8.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 200
  • Pottery9.jpg
    Pottery9.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 208
  • Pottery10.jpg
    Pottery10.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 210
  • Pottery8.jpg
    Pottery8.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 207
  • Pottery9.jpg
    Pottery9.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 209
  • Pottery10.jpg
    Pottery10.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 197
OP
OP
catherine1

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The top part of the rock is worked, and the other side is flat like SRV noted without seeing it. As usual its hard to determine unless in hand . Thanks guys!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread