Big cats in East TN

GAOldsman

Mar 10, 2011
Perry, GA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Florida Panther or Southeastern Cougar is mistakenly listed as only dwelling in Florida. Mainly southern Florida to be exact, but I know for a fact they are here in middle Georgia and as far north as North Carolina. Chances are they are even as far north as the Catskills. But I have personally seen black ones too and it wasn't a Bobcat. My Grandmother used to call them "Wompas cats" because of the cry they made that sounded like a woman screaming.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
................I will state fact again......and ask why then has there never been a documented Black,Cougar,Mt. Lion,Panther,etc,ever killed in the US???I am about facts folks......

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'am still looking for Big foot and will get him one day. lol Them cats are here Black nop, but the big cats are here. We all see what our minds let us see to some they may think it's black, the time of day, light so much can help the mind out. Good thread TM.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'am still looking for Big foot and will get him one day. lol Them cats are here Black nop, but the big cats are here. We all see what our minds let us see to some they may think it's black, the time of day, light so much can help the mind out. Good thread TM.
I agree,there is nothing to keep a Nomadic Predator within state lines!!!To say they are not some place is really going out on a limb....especially with urban sprawl,and states banning the hunting of lions,they have to roam further to establish a safe territory

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I saw a Panther last may. On "alligator alley ", about an hour east of Marco Island/Naples. It was a dark cat, but not black. We've been through this area multiple times and this is the first actual sighting we had. Maybe, this is the reason people think that the panthers are black ? th.jpg

longsocks

Oct 17, 2005
Wisconsin -south of milwaukee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 --- FISHER F - 70 Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Wisconsin, We are getting more of them showing up..The DNR has gone silent on them, evidence has shown they are coming from the Dakota's .. People jest and joke that nah everyone is seeing things... few years ago we had one pass thru Milwaukee thru western racine, and into Illinois where a cop sitting doing paper work in a lot saw it but couldn't get off a shot at it before it went into the woods... that mountain lion went on its way and down into Chicago 2 blocks from Wrigley stadium, where it was finally shot .. some have had radio collars on and have made it from the Dakota's and have bi passed below Lake Michigan and have wound up in New England states... Also Illinois has had a large influx of Bob cats also.. Something is causing these animals to migrate away from where they belong...

beginner

Greenie
Dec 14, 2012
knoxville tn
Detector(s) used
x-terra 30
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well at least its a real animal, i wouldnt laugh at ya for that... lol bigfoot would give me a reason to laugh, mountain lion,,, nahh!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Wisconsin, We are getting more of them showing up..The DNR has gone silent on them, evidence has shown they are coming from the Dakota's .. People jest and joke that nah everyone is seeing things... few years ago we had one pass thru Milwaukee thru western racine, and into Illinois where a cop sitting doing paper work in a lot saw it but couldn't get off a shot at it before it went into the woods... that mountain lion went on its way and down into Chicago 2 blocks from Wrigley stadium, where it was finally shot .. some have had radio collars on and have made it from the Dakota's and have bi passed below Lake Michigan and have wound up in New England states... Also Illinois has had a large influx of Bob cats also.. Something is causing these animals to migrate away from where they belong...

With more and more states putting strong restrictions/banning trapping,and the weak fur markets you will see more and more over populations,which lead to migrations into areas certain animals aren't native too.We the human race has completely changed the natural flow and ebb of all things wild,and are responsible for the management of the populations.....until bleeding hearts realize that,we are going to start seeing some tragic cruel "population control"....mother natures way

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember when my sister who lived in Memphis said she had a coyote in her yard. I sad no way. There had never been coyotes in Tn. Not even in the fossil record. We were trying to restore the red wolf here. Now we are covered up with coyotes and I saw several dead armadillos on the hwy. Never had these animals before. Good news is that Tennessee's Elk population is growing.
I am sure in time the large predators will spread out and survive. I hope the big cats make a come back to Tennessee.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
My Father-in-law told me back in 73 he saw one in Sullivan Maine deer hunting,said it ran across a logging trail with a BIG tail. Old George was one cool fella!! GodBless Chris

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
We buried a cougar 5 years ago on Signal Mountain(TN) that was shot that morning by a neighbor farmer who had been loosing animals at his place. It was the same as the western cougar in every way. No reports were made.

I've seen two(maybe same one?) here on and next to my property over the last year, both black. Several sightings by friends in this area has told me about the ones they've seen also. I live next to the Nation Forest 40 miles northeast of Chattanooga.

Sorry... you "experts" are wrong! If a large cat is killed in the East it's always listed as a "pet".. oh well.

Black cats have been killed in the USA several times... somebody is turning out a lot of pets!

Cat killed in Missouri was a leopard - US news - Weird news - Animal weirdness | NBC News

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Seeing twin black panther cubs.. rare!?

Thought you may like a look...

Twin panther cubs are instant hit with the public at their zoo debut | Mail Online

"The term 'black panther' can be confusing, with scientists agreeing it does not refer to a specific sub-species of big cat.

Most generally, the term refers to any type of big cat with a black coat - though the only scientifically recognised definitions are a black leopard and a black jaguar."

Some cougars have been know to be melanistic... but it's not fact until documented by experts.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry dear sir,I dont consider myself an expert and will be the first to tell you that those that claim they are experts are often wrong.....but I am not ....wrong.A jaguar,a leopard(There is no species as the black panther. Black leopards would be as all leopards Panthera Pardus, Black jaguars would be as all jaguars, Panthera Onca.),and a Mt. Lion (Felis Concolor)are all different animals!!
Jaguars are not native to the upper US.....only the Mt. lion are....any other is a transplant/escape.
I stated above all about melanistic animals....including lions,and the chance of twin melanistic animals are 1 in a billion.....black jaguars are much more common(like was posted in your link)

Last edited:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of years ago there was a story in the news paper about cameras on the mexican border to catch illegals, they also caught jaguars crossing back and forth. I know this isn't what they're seeing but thought it was cool they are coming back into texas.

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
One thing I've read is...

"Melanism is the opposite of albinism and occurs with about the same frequency. The genetic basis is not clearly understood, but inbreeding is considered partially responsible."

Also several zoos has inbred cats to get the malanism... China... Germany.

This seems to be more common in the wild were animals are at very low numbers or inbreeding is more likely to occur.

I'm not sure where the black cats are coming from? I do know they are here in the southern Appalachians and Cumberland Mountains.
We still have the Florida Panthers that have been noted in South Georgia, Louisiana, and Alabama. The Mountain Lion is native to the Appalachians and have been reported to have been shot out years ago. Several eastern states have now officially admitted that the cougar is here after a long time saying they wasn't. With low numbers, could inbreeding produce the black cats that we are seeing?
Black cougars are known, but not "officially known", or said to exist by the biologist.

Having seen both the cougar and the so-called black panther, I know they do exist. What I don't know is where did they come from and their true breed.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant say I dis agree with anything you said there,and I cant answer your question.I can say I have seen two albino lions (one was later killed and I have a picture somewhere)but have never seen a wild black lion....Boy would I like to!!Like Bigfoot,until someone kills a Black Mt Lion(Couger,puma,catamount,panther)its hard to beleive....that being said,in no way am I saying you did not see what you say...you are a very fortunate fellow!!!The first albino black bear I seen,nobody beleived me either,until unfortunatly it was killed too

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Kuger...

It's like saying the sky is falling!:laughing7:

I was called a liar on another board for saying I saw the black cat. I've seen it twice this year, one time near my house at night with the lights of my Jeep in the road... and the other time I saw it one morning about 8:30 in the field across the road, about 75 yards away.
I just find it hard to believe they can all be pets. When I talk to the local people about the panther, it's no big deal. Most will tell you they've seen them over the years.
Maybe in time we'll find some answers to the questions?

Best at ya!
Wayne

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Kuger...

It's like saying the sky is falling!:laughing7:

I was called a liar on another board for saying I saw the black cat. I've seen it twice this year, one time near my house at night with the lights of my Jeep in the road... and the other time I saw it one morning about 8:30 in the field across the road, about 75 yards away.
I just find it hard to believe they can all be pets. When I talk to the local people about the panther, it's no big deal. Most will tell you they've seen them over the years.
Maybe in time we'll find some answers to the questions?

Best at ya!
Wayne
You hit the nail on the head . When there are enough sightings/pictures/bodies are put in evidence then 'Powers That Be' will be forced to come out of the state of denial .
Like Kuger , I have never seen these black cats . The fact that I have seen the normal colored ones in a state that denied that they existed until recent years is enough to give me reason to believe in the others .
It is now law in my state that you can't harm these cats that the DNR says do not exist .

OP
OP
TNGUNS

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have been doing my part to keep the whitetail population in check. Total now one 12 pointer, one 8 pointer and 2 does. No more POSSIBLE big cat sightings since I started this thread. I am about to wind down the deer hunting now and kind of looking forward to getting back out and swinging the coil a little. Killed a descent 8 pointer late last Sunday and had Coyotes follow me out dragging him through a really marshy area along a creek just after dark. Hardest drag I ever remember (sure it has nothing to do with turning 50 recently ). Guess they smelled the entrails and played follow the yellow brick road. I actually got permission to hunt this farm after a local veterinarian referred them to me with coyote issues several years ago. Still think Coyotes are some creepy sounding critters when they start the hunting whines and yeps. They always stay back far enough as not to come down with lead poisoning and sure raise the hair on the back of my neck knowing they want what I have ( the deer ). I can honestly say I thought about the Mountain Lion sighting and would hate to be between one of them and a fresh kill. A little unsettling knowing how useless my beloved deer rifle would be in the dark against a lightning bolt with teeth and claws. I guess for an outdoorsman it would be an honorable way to check-out but prefer to wait about 30 or 40 more years before leaving in such a proverbial blaze of glory.:cat::whip2:

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok.. There are black panthers. Forrest even saw them. th.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread