Biggest Crotal Bell EVER and My Oldest Marked Military Button!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had two hours this evening to hit a site I haven't detected in 2 years...I was not disappointed! The plough has moved a lot of targets around and I was surprised at the number since the last time I was here I got skunked!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431299500.273827.jpg

The Crotal bell is without a doubt the biggest I've ever found and it is completely intact!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431299707.627221.jpg

Also picked up the usual assortment of crusty coppers...a couple are identifiable...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431299647.942680.jpg

The last target of the night as I was heading to the car is what I am positive is an early British navy Tudor Rose! It's pewter and in great condition. Please chime in button experts...UPDATE...I've heard back from Tim Burt at Hamwic House who states that in his opinion it is a 1748 Royal Navy LT. button. This particular button was either silver or pewter.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431299664.893405.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431299689.024601.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 27

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome hunt…that bell is huge! plus a dirty ole pewter lol love those military buttons….gotta love this hobby…congrats

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There should be a number cast into the top half of that bell--probably a 5 or 6. I found part of a #3 recently. Post a pic when it's cleaned up.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice crotal!!, that's one of the bigger ones ive seen posted!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI; The Crotal Bell is a Cows Bell 1820's = 1840's. The Button is a Tudor Rose Button dating to the mid 1600's. Great Find. I need to see the back ok. PEACE:RONB

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
The bell is a class act!
The coins are the meat of the potato, and the navy is gravy!
Nice hunt, I'm sure that site will go into regular rotation now that the AT is doing you proud

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SAY WHAT ?? I TELL U WHAT !!THATS A BIG BIG BELL AND THE ROSE TUDOR AINT SO SMALL EITHER,NICE,VANZUTPHEN

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome bell, that it the biggest one I have seen one here. I wish I could metal detect at a site like that. I'm guessing that the Tudor Rose very is rare too,

Funny, what are the chances, I bought the same Nova Scotia Provence 1843 Halfpenny Token on Saturday, 25 cents from my coin dealer's junk bin.
IMG_20150509_110640.jpg
Coin is on bottom right.

Last edited:

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tudor rose buttons have been BLOWN way out of proportion for British naval use. 90% of the ones I see posted are nothing more than a common design of the time present on a button. That being said, yours looks like one of the more common ones I see found in camps and also listed as actual naval buttons (1750s-1780s) if I were to guess by the button construction. This is not one i would 100% say was developed for a uniform, but better than 90% sure...(there are really only two styles that I have seen consistently enough dug and on period uniforms and they are gilted 23mm ones)

Love the bell!

HH

Dan

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bell is a class act!
The coins are the meat of the potato, and the navy is gravy!
Nice hunt, I'm sure that site will go into regular rotation now that the AT is doing you proud

I know it must be more than the detector but I'm sure I would have missed some of these targets with my Fishers. That's not a slight on Fisher but I'm definitely more comfortable behind the AT Pro. I know the plough had a lot to do with the new abundance of targets.

Last edited:

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job bud. Monster of a bell!! The Rose Tudor button, in my opinion, is the find of the day. Killer site!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be my largest intact one as well - congrats on that one! But believe it or not I've seen much larger ones for sale! (they sell well as well, £100+)

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome bell, that it the biggest one I have seen one here. I wish I could metal detect at a site like that. I'm guessing that the Tudor Rose very is rare too,

Funny, what are the chances, I bought the same Nova Scotia Provence 1843 Halfpenny Token on Saturday, 25 cents from my coin dealer's junk bin.
View attachment 1159547
Coin is on bottom left.

Yours is in slightly better condition...lol!

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs, I am skeptical regarding the naval button as the Tudor rose is 8 petals and yours appears to have 10. Still a stellar early pewter find regardless.

I'm pretty confident that it is what I think it is but I am waiting to hear back from the expert. My confidence comes primarily from context and location..,the site where this was found would be where one would expect to pick up an early Navy button...but I'll say nothing more on that topic....lol!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty confident that it is what I think it is but I am waiting to hear back from the expert. My confidence comes primarily from context and location..,the site where this was found would be where one would expect to pick up an early Navy button...but I'll say nothing more on that topic....lol!

The Bond makers mark would have given you a definitive yes, and without, I'm guessing a most likely. For the ones that are a no-go there's usually something that stands out, either design or the construction, but yours looks pretty consistent in what to expect. The only one I know of that was dug here was found on a little Loyalist site that gave up... RPs, 3rds, 42nds, & 80ths.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet!!

Big coppers, pewter and an Awesome Crotal bell, great hunt!! Wish I could find a Crotal bell that size, Crotal bells are my top favorite finds.

Congrats on a Sweet hunt!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread