Biggest Crotal Bell EVER and My Oldest Marked Military Button!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had two hours this evening to hit a site I haven't detected in 2 years...I was not disappointed! The plough has moved a lot of targets around and I was surprised at the number since the last time I was here I got skunked!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431299500.273827.jpg

The Crotal bell is without a doubt the biggest I've ever found and it is completely intact!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431299707.627221.jpg

Also picked up the usual assortment of crusty coppers...a couple are identifiable...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431299647.942680.jpg

The last target of the night as I was heading to the car is what I am positive is an early British navy Tudor Rose! It's pewter and in great condition. Please chime in button experts...UPDATE...I've heard back from Tim Burt at Hamwic House who states that in his opinion it is a 1748 Royal Navy LT. button. This particular button was either silver or pewter.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431299664.893405.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431299689.024601.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 27
That's great getting the bell complete, lots of times the plough takes them out.

Is there any # or makers mark's mark on the bell at all?
This link shows the casting technique of making the bells, even though the site's examples of bells predate most of what's found over here, but it's nice when an early one shows up.
Crotal bells - ukdfd
Another interesting read on dating and metal content
http://www.americanbell.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4170

Last edited:
Awesome bell, that it the biggest one I have seen one here. I wish I could metal detect at a site like that. I'm guessing that the Tudor Rose very is rare too,

Funny, what are the chances, I bought the same Nova Scotia Provence 1843 Halfpenny Token on Saturday, 25 cents from my coin dealer's junk bin.
View attachment 1159547
Coin is on bottom right.

Your is most probably a 1832, or a little less likely an 1824, but not 1843. Good buy for a quarter regardless.

I'm still needing a bell of that size, have a couple next size down, and even those are most often broke.
I agree a lot to do with the finds was the plow. What detector could miss that monster.

I'm still needing a bell of that size, have a couple next size down, and even those are most often broke.
I agree a lot to do with the finds was the plow. What detector could miss that monster.

There is a lot of iron on this site and it appears to have been in constant occupation from the early 1700s to the late 1800s based on the targets I've recovered here. The bell was very deep...probably 14 inches so I'm not even sure if the plow gets that deep...

OK so the plow didn't bring the bell up, I guess that was an assumption on my part.
I dug a 2 inch diameter piece of iron with ATP with small coil that was 15-16 inches deep. I figured it was junk, but wanted to know how big / how deep. I think garrett is pretty good at getting slightly bigger targets at much more depth than a coin. Comparred to at least one other machine I have that seems to bottom out at about a foot, unless you're talking a huge target. That machine will get a dime at 11, but no more on a silver dollar ?

Looks like I "babbled" hope it makes some sense.

I'm pretty confident that it is what I think it is but I am waiting to hear back from the expert. My confidence comes primarily from context and location..,the site where this was found would be where one would expect to pick up an early Navy button...but I'll say nothing more on that topic....lol!

Good luck with your research, it's the best part about this hobby. Hopefully you can get a positive ID.

Last edited:
Fine digs buddy, congrats. That Button is awesome.
ZDD

Congratulations on the very productive hunt! That bell is huge!

Great button my friend. Hope the Id is what you're hoping for. If the site lends itself to that it probably is

Probably as good as I'm going to clean it. Just a wet tooth brush and a rinse. I don't want to risk using anything more abrasive.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431452118.104898.jpg

I've heard back from Tim Burt at Hamwic House who states that in his opinion it is a 1748 Royal Navy LT. button. This particular button was either silver or pewter.

Tim Burt has literally written the book (several actually) on Royal Navy and other military buttons and insignia.

That is fantastic buddy! Now offically your oldest authenicated marked military!! Congrats again...

I've heard back from Tim Burt at Hamwic House who states that in his opinion it is a 1748 Royal Navy LT. button. This particular button was either silver or pewter.

Tim Burt has literally written the book (several actually) on Royal Navy and other military buttons and insignia.

Cool .

That is fantastic buddy! Now offically your oldest authenicated marked military!! Congrats again...

I actually have an unmarked pewter that I found on Cannonball Beach a few years ago that I am confident is a Royal Navy button which would predate the Tudor Rose...or course it's unmarked so impossible to know for sure but the context and location has me nearly convinced that it is just that.

Yeah then there's the french marine buttons too!!!

Man, some sweet finds there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back