black stone cylinder

lovinlife

Oct 2, 2014
Beautiful Montana
Detector(s) used
whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm strolling along this stream and look down to find this stone cylinder looking thing? Not sure if it's a core sample, although I'm out in the middle of nowhere just fields and woods. it's smooth with some slight indentions maybe from the stream maybe from being held idk. What do you pro's think? It's 18 inches long and weighs like 7lbs. Both ends are somewhat rounded off and oval in shape, 1"1/4 and the other is 1"1/2 not sharp at all? Let me know what you think? Could it be a Native American tool?

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 384
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    661.3 KB · Views: 411
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    755.3 KB · Views: 371
Upvote 3

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, ProPointer, Ace 250, GTA 1250, Radio Shack Bounty Hunter, Eye Balls, Intuition, Instinct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a battery core.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could also be a core from a drill rig.

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree with the opinions above...at least on first glance. Certainly looks like a Native American pestle to me. Can I see some pics of the ends?

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's probably a 70+ year old carbon rod from a dry cell battery. They were popular in the early 1900's and came in many different sizes. Some were massive.
energy-27.jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it doesn't look uniform, &
I never saw a Drill Core with the end tapered so I would rule out Drill core.
of course I haven't been around core drilling though, but I have seen
and handled pieces of cores

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We get a lot of this type stone here in NePa. In the second pic it appears to have a very slight curvature. I don't think a core would have this. I wonder if it might be a pestle too. Natural water erosion or man made is hard to say.

Last edited:

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All the battery cores I have dug up and seen were a lot shorter than that...d2

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Due to the nature of my work, I've been around hundreds of core samples.
Depths to over 100 feet and I've never seen a core sample like that.

I'm leaning towards the Pestle also.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a carbon rod to me.

The ends were chipped up long ago (and have since worn smooth). The apparent curvature in the photograph is a result of the parallax of the digital camera. The fact that it is on a towel, and the towel is bunched up at the bottom, contributes to the illusion of non-uniformity. The fact that it is 18 inches long is also significant.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a stone rolling pin for dough. I've seen similar in wood and marble. Just a thought.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe it's a Pestle.Could be Native American or Colonial..

~Blaze

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If this item is 18" long and weighs 7 pounds then it would be very dense material. Carbon dry cell cores were very light ( 2 oz. per running inch X 1 1/4" diameter) and came with a brass wire terminal on the end. Carbon Treasure.jpg It's my opinion that the battery core theory is off the table for your consideration!
I have been in the drilling business for 50 years and after looking at your photos I would rule out a drilling core sample also . My reasoning is , cores samples are taken to the laboratory for evaluation, then they are cataloged usually kept for future reference. Another reason would be that , i have never pulled a core sample that didn't have a uniform bit mark pattern on the cortex.So in my opinion that theory is off the table also.
Now with that in mind I'm going to stick my chin out there and agree with others that this could either be natural stone ( the current and abrasives in a stream or river can do some fantastic art work naturally) or it could be an Indian artifact, such as a pestle or a percussion hammer for knapping of stone tools. This one is big enough to make large blanks for spears ,scrappers,and arrowheads. If it is of hard enough material it looks like it would be ideal for either ! The sure thing, is I have certainly been wrong before but this might narrow your search for the real solution! Happy hunting and you have a grand 2014! The Kid:icon_thumright:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never seen a battery rod that large, but I wouldn't rule it out without further testing of the material.

Just a thought; it could be a graphite rod from an old-school Carbon-Arc light. Picture is related:

NLC20.jpg

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I know what it's not and that is a carbon rod. as mentioned by others carbon rods are very light weight at 7 lbs, this is not light, my guess is it's a Native Indian pestel. If it is you have a great find there.
ZDD

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on the rough measurements provided, I get a density of about 6.1 grams per cubic centimeter, which is about 3 times as dense as graphite, but still twice as dense as Basalt, the stone visually most similar in appearance to the piece, not to mention its common use by natives. It is, however, 75% the density of Iron (7.9g per cc), so it could be an oddly rust-free window weight which has been measured a bit inaccurately? A magnet test would put that idea to rest quite quickly.

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm strolling along this stream and look down to find this stone cylinder looking thing? Not sure if it's a core sample, although I'm out in the middle of nowhere just fields and woods. it's smooth with some slight indentions maybe from the stream maybe from being held idk. What do you pro's think? It's 18 inches long and weighs like 7lbs. Both ends are somewhat rounded off and oval in shape, 1"1/4 and the other is 1"1/2 not sharp at all? Let me know what you think? Could it be a Native American tool?
The ends appear to be sheared to cleanly, even with the natural wear. .I highly doubt that it's Native American and all the battery cores that I've found were no longer than 2 inches. .I am at a loss

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread