black stone cylinder

lovinlife

Oct 2, 2014
Beautiful Montana
Detector(s) used
whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm strolling along this stream and look down to find this stone cylinder looking thing? Not sure if it's a core sample, although I'm out in the middle of nowhere just fields and woods. it's smooth with some slight indentions maybe from the stream maybe from being held idk. What do you pro's think? It's 18 inches long and weighs like 7lbs. Both ends are somewhat rounded off and oval in shape, 1"1/4 and the other is 1"1/2 not sharp at all? Let me know what you think? Could it be a Native American tool?

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 384
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    661.3 KB · Views: 411
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    755.3 KB · Views: 371
Upvote 3
OP
OP
L

lovinlife

Oct 2, 2014
Beautiful Montana
Detector(s) used
whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of your suggestions still leave me excited. The ends are definitely chipped, ovalish and worn, it definitely weighs 7lbs+ it looks and feels to be a solid dark stone. (Without getting gross) as you feel for any indentions on the length of it, there are definite slight curves in the stone, possibly from holding or water, just can't be sure.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's probably a 70+ year old carbon rod from a dry cell battery. They were popular in the early 1900's and came in many different sizes. Some were massive.
View attachment 1061624

I might also add that the rods from these bateries do ring up on a detector in many cases. So if the thing you found beeps, it's not Native American.

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, carbon conducts electricity, carbon rods are used for gouging metal in welding. I don't know if stone conducts electricity.

jwarner51

Aug 11, 2014
United states of America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The carbon rods aren't perfectly smooth like your "pestal" looks to be. They are slightly porous almost. Also the carbon rods will make a black powder if you scratch them with a penny. If yours doesn't do that I don't think it came from a battery.

OP
OP
L

lovinlife

Oct 2, 2014
Beautiful Montana
Detector(s) used
whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
update on the black stone cylinder

I emailed a pic to the UofM professor and he said it looks to be a native American pestal, possibly 500 yrs old and a great find! Yay!

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Due to the nature of my work, I've been around hundreds of core samples.
Depths to over 100 feet and I've never seen a core sample like that.

I'm leaning towards the Pestle also.
I will concur with both you and Jeff of PA, I also have been around hundreds of core samples, and have a small collection from specific mines in my area. That is not a core sample.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO it looks like it is made of basalt. I have many basalt artifacts, and have "worked" basalt myself. I am leaning toward an artifact. of course I would have to see it in person to be sure. Great find if it is!!! If it IS basalt, I bet I know exactly where they got the material to make it! I would go back to that area and search carefully, and I bet you will find more stuff! And lastly, Welcome to TNET fellow Montanan!

Last edited:

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is very cool. This made hundreds and hundreds of meals for early americans.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread