Bleeding horse forced to buck (Reno Nevada, USA)

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
I know what happens, and I will tell you that I have no problem when a rider gets killed during their ride... The reason being, that they know the dangers, and they know what they are doing. They KNOW that there are dangers with hurting a bulls nuts to the point of being upset... If you ride on top of an animal that you are purposely hurting, then you should also understand that it could lead to death.
I have no problem with their deaths... in fact, I am on the animal's side when this occurs.

If you were to grab me by the jewels, expect a major backlash.... pray that you will only end up with bruises.

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Great. Another "animal cruelty" thread. I'm sure this one will quickly disappear just like the last one.

So the horse busted its lip. Big deal.

And Mike, with you being from Texas, you should know they don't strap up the bulls nuts to make it buck. They put a leather strap on their haunches, but they don't crush their testicles. It's a common misconception.

I don't believe in mistreating animals, but unless you are a vegetarian you really have no right to complain about being mean to critters when you consume their flesh for sustenance.

As someone who has owned several horses, I can tell you first hand that in spite of their noble appearance, those animals are dumber than a box of rocks. They have a brain the size of a walnut. They aren't called "Beasts of Burden" for nothing.

And if it makes you feel any better, horses occasionally extract a decent amount of revenge on their "tormentors". I know one guy here in town that was a very skilled horse trainer. One kick to the head was all it took to turn him into a weirdo that wanders around town talking to himself and picking up cigarette butts out of convenience store parking lots for no reason. A friend of mines father was killed by a horse about 4 months ago when a mare stuck her hoof into his chest and collapsed both his lungs. Slammed the poor guy into the outside of the horse trailer. He died in his sons arms because of that horse. I would have bludgeoned that thing to death with a pipe wrench, but the son knew how much his dad loved horses so they sold it.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
Great. Another "animal cruelty" thread. I'm sure this one will quickly disappear just like the last one.
So the horse busted its lip. Big deal.
And Mike, with you being from Texas, you should know they don't strap up the bulls nuts to make it buck. They put a leather strap on their haunches, but they don't crush their testicles. It's a common misconception.
I don't believe in mistreating animals, but unless you are a vegetarian you really have no right to complain about being mean to critters when you consume their flesh for sustenance.
As someone who has owned several horses, I can tell you first hand that in spite of their noble appearance, those animals are dumber than a box of rocks. They have a brain the size of a walnut. They aren't called "Beasts of Burden" for nothing.
And if it makes you feel any better, horses occasionally extract a decent amount of revenge on their "tormentors". I know one guy here in town that was a very skilled horse trainer. One kick to the head was all it took to turn him into a weirdo that wanders around town talking to himself and picking up cigarette butts out of convenience store parking lots for no reason. A friend of mines father was killed by a horse about 4 months ago when a mare stuck her hoof into his chest and collapsed both his lungs. Slammed the poor guy into the outside of the horse trailer. He died in his sons arms because of that horse. I would have bludgeoned that thing to death with a pipe wrench, but the son knew how much his dad loved horses so they sold it.

I'll tell you what... If you do ANYTHING to make me buck... Be forwarded... I might be plenty upset, and a life might just be taken.

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
mikeofaustin said:
I'll tell you what... If you do ANYTHING to make me buck... Be forwarded... I might be plenty upset, and a life might just be taken.

Do you eat meat?

If so, it doesn't make a lot of sense to approve of eating an animal and disapprove of riding the same animal for sport.

It's why I've never understood the outrage over cockfighting. It's OK to decapitate, pluck, and BBQ a chicken, but you can't fight them to the death for sport? A rooster has a brain the size of a BB and will kill any other rooster in the barnyard if left to their own devices. Cockfighting is just watching for sport what the animal is already programmed to naturally do - with the exception of the steel spurs.

I stated this in the other "cruelty" thread that got locked down, but I think that Disney cartoons featuring anthropomorphic talking mice and bears have really warped how we view animals. I know in cartoons the Care Bears like to shoot rainbows out of their cute little tummies, but here in the real world, bears will kill and eat you. Mice don't pilot steamboats and have girlfriends named Minnie. Here in reality they destroy crops and spread disease.

Again, I don't approve of starving or neglecting your pet dog or cat, but pitching a fit over a horse with a busted lip is just a little over the top IMO. The majority of animal cruelty IMO is the fur trade, veal, and sorry people who refuse to give their pet dogs and cats proper food or veterinary care. Those people you see on the animal hoarder shows are the worst violators.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this has everything to do with image.

you either endorse humane treatment and stand by it or YOU SAY you want humane treatment and DO NOTHING

it was probably a small injury like bit tongue while thrashing in the chute. BUT blood means injury and the horse should have been pulled.

you do --- your you don't

pathetic display of abuse on my thoughts ONLY BECAUSE they endorse humane treatment and did not provide it at all.

shut the hell up or get off the pot if you can't abide by your own 'darn' rules.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
mikeofaustin said:

Do you eat meat?

If so, it doesn't make a lot of sense to approve of eating an animal and disapprove of riding the same animal for sport.

It's why I've never understood the outrage over cockfighting. It's OK to decapitate, pluck, and BBQ a chicken, but you can't fight them to the death for sport? A rooster has a brain the size of a BB and will kill any other rooster in the barnyard if left to their own devices. Cockfighting is just watching for sport what the animal is already programmed to naturally do - with the exception of the steel spurs.

I stated this in the other "cruelty" thread that got locked down, but I think that Disney cartoons featuring anthropomorphic talking mice and bears have really warped how we view animals. I know in cartoons the Care Bears like to shoot rainbows out of their cute little tummies, but here in the real world, bears will kill and eat you. Mice don't pilot steamboats and have girlfriends named Minnie. Here in reality they destroy crops and spread disease.

Again, I don't approve of starving or neglecting your pet dog or cat, but pitching a fit over a horse with a busted lip is just a little over the top IMO. The majority of animal cruelty IMO is the fur trade, veal, and sorry people who refuse to give their pet dogs and cats proper food or veterinary care. Those people you see on the animal hoarder shows are the worst violators.
I'm with you Hombre . The hand wringers have never dealt with large animals . We had a 400# steer get my brotherinlaw down in a sorting pen last weekend . Totally berserk and would not stop attacking him . Broke his arm , some ribs , and his nose before we killed the sob to get it off him. No remorse on our part except for b-i-l getting hurt .

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I farm. I owned over 125 giant sausage hogs at any given time on the farm....over 120 Boer goats and about 25 Black Angus and a monster bull. Absolutely livestock can be dangerous.

but if you 'use animals' and 'provide humane treatment and plug that as your image' then you best do what you say. That animal should have been pulled and checked.

We have run from our bull a few times lol

Many hand wringers do not know livestock. Many do. Because people choose to work with livestock and get hurt, it does not mean an animal can be abused for the heck of it. If you work with big livestock you know the risk. Not one bull is your friend or one wild horse your friend. They are 'not out to get you' cause they don't like the look of ya...they do what comes natural.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
professional human "sports jocks" play hurt all the time * these animals are mean and nasty types --picked out for that reason -- being "unsuitible" for normal riding use and such --if not used in a rodeo they would most likely be put down or turned into dog chow -- they work a few seconds per rodeo and are fed and taken care of --they are some of the stars of the show the "rank" bulls and buckers .

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Again, ...if I'm minding my own business, and someone comes up to me and pinches me in the wrong place, understand that something might come toward your direction in the understanding that I didn't like it. If people die? We'll, that's what should be through about before they get on an animal... hence, I wouldn't care.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
of rodeo's

mean by nature animals (rodeo animals are often selected and / or breed to be mean and nasty) so as far as normal purposes go .they are other wize basically useless * are rode by hard headed thrill & glory seekers who hope not to get gored , crushed or otherwise maimed in the process (RODEO RIDERS)-- the public pays to see them get beat up and maimed -- much like nascar --its all about the "wrecks" otherwize it is fairly boring to watch for the most part.

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
mikeofaustin said:
Again, ...if I'm minding my own business, and someone comes up to me and pinches me in the wrong place, understand that something might come toward your direction in the understanding that I didn't like it. If people die? We'll, that's what should be through about before they get on an animal... hence, I wouldn't care.

These rodeo guys know the risk. They don't "pinch" these beasts expecting no reaction.

But since you eat meat, if someone herds you and your family into a trailer then offloads you into a chute and forces you to march until you are hit in the forehead with a pneumatic bolt gun, hung up, skinned, bled out, de-boned, and your flesh is ground to bits and packaged in Styrofoam, then you are OK with that.

Riding animals - bad.

Consuming dead animals flesh - OK.

Hard to argue with that logic.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this thread is all about the 'call they made on the animal'

if they are there, see bit tonuge etc. and decide to go ahead, just a 'short' blurb to the announcer saying, X horse is OK, he bit his tongue and can still buck strong....then 'their image' of being humane is in tact.

but without verification you don't know what the animal is suffering from at this point.

It is a fault on the announcers/animal handlers. they make this 'seem' like abuse....if it isn't say so ya know...simple as that.

walking across the street in NYC you take your life into your own hands.
riding or dealing with big animals is always risky...thrill seekers know this and if they get hurt, then so be it. No one wishes hurt on someone, but it is sure going to happen.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I used to ride bulls in rodeos. what you don't see, is that these animals are bred and selected to be the best at their job. if they don't buck hard enough or put on a good show for the fans, most of the time they're put down and turned into dog food. these animals CAN"T be used for pets. they are considered an athlete just like the guy trying to ride and are trained to buck. once they are out of the chute with no rider, and the haunch rope is removed, most of the time they'll stand at the out gate, waiting to go back to the pens. I don't know that particular horse, but just from watching the video, the horse is probably considered a Rank horse, which most riders would want to ride to get a higher score. as far as the care given to these animals, these rodeo athletes have a better care system than what you get from your doctor. these animals are checked over by a vet before every rodeo and if they find any problems, the animal is pulled. the drugs that are used on these animals, ie. antibiotics and the like, are higher quality and more regulated than the ones the doctor prescribes to you. these animals are extremely expensive to own and care for, and no owner would risk losing thousands of dollars, do to an injury. if you look close in the video, there is no bridle being used, just a halter, with a halter rope. the horse probably smacked his lip against the side of the chute, which is no different than somebody getting punched in the mouth, yeah, it hurts, it bleeds, but is it going to slow you down? highly unlikely. I've seen this happen before, it'll happen again.
abusing animals is wrong, but, I don't see any abuse in that video, nobody struck the horse, no prods were being used.
typically, they let the horse relax for a minute and the rider attempts to mount, if it still doesn't work, they'll go onto another rider in another chute and let him ride. if the first horse hasn't calmed down, they pull the haunch rope, open the chute, let the horse buck a little bit to calm them down, and then run them through into a different chute and try again. some horses have bad days just like people.
no matter what it looks like in the video, these animals are never abused.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Thank ya , Sniffer
You very succintly posted info that everyone that is concerned with animal abuse should have . Rodeo and farming are businesses . Abuse and neglect equal loss of profit . We care for our animals .

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
To reiterate hippie logic:

Riding a horse with a busted lip = NOT COOL

Using glue made from horses to repair your Birkenstock sandals or feeding your pet food made from horses = TOTALLY COOL

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
mikeofaustin said:

These rodeo guys know the risk. They don't "pinch" these beasts expecting no reaction.

But since you eat meat, if someone herds you and your family into a trailer then offloads you into a chute and forces you to march until you are hit in the forehead with a pneumatic bolt gun, hung up, skinned, bled out, de-boned, and your flesh is ground to bits and packaged in Styrofoam, then you are OK with that.

Riding animals - bad.

Consuming dead animals flesh - OK.

Hard to argue with that logic.

NOpe, I'm not o.k. with that either... but it's a necessity (versus just sport).

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
SWR said:
Gee... a horse has to work for eight seconds, and then two or three weeks of being pampered with absolutely nothing to do.

Long live the Rodeo. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yep. Long live the rodeo. No problem with fun. But, again... if someone were to be killed from a bull... it's their own fault. Not that of the bull and I wouldn't feel any remorse for them. They knew what they were getting into.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
the riders do have to sign waivers before they ride, so if they get injured they can't sue anybody

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Sniffer said:
the riders do have to sign waivers before they ride, so if they get injured they can't sue anybody

I guess in this stance, the animals have the upper hand.... because in the real world... if someone were to piss me off, I couldn't stomp on their neck without receiving seven years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread