Blind cache hunting

OP
OP
H

horsepower

Greenie
Dec 17, 2009
Wishing everything wasn't frozen and under snow here. Oh well, later on it will thaw. Been researching my battle site and there is some inconsistency in the historical records. Couple of different locations given, about 12 miles apart. The consensus seems to be that the actual site is not on the land I have access to but rather on the other side of town. Only problem with that is I can't find evidence of anyone actually finding the site over there and the topography just fits to well with my area. I think the confusion arises because there are a couple of very similar names tagged to the landowners of record at the time with of course, one on each side of town. But if I am right, I have seen a copy of the plat with the name I am looking for on my side of town. And if the battle was on the other side of town, the reported retreat path would have went right through the middle of a fairly sizeable town back then that was a Union stronghold--not exactly the route I would have chosen had I been Quantrill. Who knows.

Things still on hold with the well site. Not doing much outdoors right now but keeping up with the firewood!!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
http://www.historiclonejack.org/jackman.html

Dont know if you have seen this,but it states that Col.Hunter went into camp four miles west of Lone Jack...would that put the camp on the property you are searching?

BEHIND EMENY LINES
by Sidney Drake Jackman

The next morning [August 15, 1862] Col. Hunter proceeded to Lone Jack, a distance of
about 15 mile and finding supplies scarce, moved west four miles and went into camp. Col. Coffee and Tracy, not recognizing Hunter’s authority, encamped in Lone Jack.
The Battle at Independence, have occurred a few days before, had now filled the
country with Federals determined on capturing or driving from the country, the
Confederates engaged in that battle.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Danny, try the Connecticut Forum on the scroll bottom where the various states
are located. Good luck.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you lastleg. People may have stories that was never publish, about Connecticut and that the kind I am look for.

OP
OP
H

horsepower

Greenie
Dec 17, 2009
I'm straight south of Lone Jack so that particular camp wouldn't be on the properties I'm looking at but I may just have to wander over that direction and see if I know anyone there. Thanks.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Read there Gypsy!
There just are not enough first hand detailed accounts of what happened.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today, it snow in Connecticut. The best stories are told by your family members and people who live in the same town or city for many years, including seniors, which were never publish. Good Luck to all of you.

Robin

Apr 21, 2008
One more thing "Horsepower", to locate where old cabins or house's might have been,
is look for a group of trees, and then look for a place where a cabin or house,
might have been at one time.
In my area N.E. Calif. I've found lots of old homested areas that have long sense
been gone , with no cabin remaining, some have a little foundation others have none.
good luck !

:thumbsup: :coffee2: Robin

rovnrbl

May 26, 2003
Try your local county historical society - they may have some interesting files. Try your local library. See if you can get a copy of or look at Official Military Atlas of the Civil War. This is a treasure trove of maps from the Civil War. Some of the county maps will show house sites, mills, etc. Not sure if Cass County is on there. If you're near a college or university, try their library. You can also request books via interlibrary loan. The Atlas was brought out (reprinted) by Barnes and Noble several years ago for about $20 per copy. Not sure what the price is now - check Amazon or Abebooks or Alibris. Good luck!!

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with #34. All great comments. Best of luck to all of you including Horsepower. I live in Bridgeport Connecticut.

ZINCLID

Apr 2, 2010
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Mostly Tesoro units-I've owned five of them--but I've used Whites,Fishers,Garretts,Nautilus, Minelab, and Detex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright:Sounded like you meant hunting caches with a blindfold on...hehehe!!! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: Really sounds like you've got a really good place to search...HERE'S WISHING YOU PLENTY OF LUCK! :hello2: :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread