Blind cache hunting

OP
OP
H

horsepower

Greenie
Dec 17, 2009
Sorry I disappeared off the face of the earth. Many thanks to all who offered advice. Regrettably, the area has never been properly searched. Shortly after starting this quest, I found myself in the midst of an unexpected divorce. Long story short, when the dust settled, I retained ownership of the farm but when I got back to it, my accumulated research materials are gone. I work a different job now and travel fulltime but if and when I am home, I will continue poking around. I am convinced there has to be caches there at the least. For the foreseeable future, it is on hold. If it becomes obvious I will not have an opportunity to properly search it myself in the coming years, I will at least attempt to pass it on to someone who can. Thanks again for all the helpful guidance.

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
Just an off hand note, (sorry about your troubles) If you find yourself in a dry spell (drought) it may be a good time to wander around the farm. I found a foundation line of stones just under the surface of the ground on my place in the Catskills of NY that way. The vegetation in the shallow soil over the top of the foundation stones dried out before the surounding vegetation, leaving a subtle, but recognizable rectangle. Further investigation suggests that it may have been a chicken coop, since there is a lot of bone and shell present in the soil within the rectangle (bone and shell being a source of calcium for good egg shell production). At least that is my take on it. Some square nails and bits of wire have turned up in a metal dectection of the area, but unfortunatly no Caches. I had high hopes, since I have heard that some people used to use the chickens as a sort of burgler alarm, and would bury their cache out of sight from inside the chicken coop. But maybe if you have a dry year, you may stumble on signs of civilization and lead you to more of a golden sunset. :wink:

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
Hi there! If it sounds like I'm just jumping in here, it's because I am. I didn't read all the prior posts, just the first one. You have unwittingly given me a chance to spout my philosophy (lol). Blind cache hunting is the last viable process for locating a cache, where no documentary, physical evidence or first hand accounts exist. In order to sound smart, you might call it a field survey. When there are leads TH'ing is a science. When there are no leads it is an art, where the ends justify the means and you create your own process. I have a thread here on a well known cache site I located. In that case, I got the lay of the land, then identified a likely area based on my criteria. Bingo! During the initial walk-through I spotted the tree carving that identified the site. Carried my detector all that way for nothing. People had been looking for that one for 90 years. I only conclude that to many were content to keep waiting for that golden clue to fall in their lap before getting out and looking. If nothing else, by searching you have excluded that much ground. Who knows what you might find by accident. I noticed some rely on that "R" word (research) almost as a crutch that does two things; suggests that if you look hard enough that there will always be that golden clue, and, thus, explains why they aren't out there MD'ing. Most of the time, if a scientific hunt was possible, it was gone before you got to it. The point is that your intuition is as good a reason as any to check an area. We want these treasure to remain undiscovered, because there are no clues, until we come along and blunder into it. And remember, it's a field survey.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread