🥇 BANNER Bottle with a note inside 5 to 6 inches deep in the ground.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just discovered the marriage records on familysearch.org. That helps, since I now have the wife's maiden name.
https://www.familysearch.org/search...anton~ +surname:holets~&collection_id=1805551

Caution! Note the slightly different spelling of Anna's maiden name in the first record, as well as a different child's name, even though the years are identical!!
Anton Holets
Father of bride
Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934
spouse: Anna Zalvadnik
child:Marie A. Holets

Anton Holets
Father of bride
Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934
spouse: Anna Zahradnik
child: Agnes Holets

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, I've just spent a couple of hours on Iowa Census sites trying to wrap my head around this, and instead, I feel like it has wrapped my head around a telephone pole!

For what year's census did you find that information, Bramblefind. I've been using the Linn County 1925 census and I'm not seeing what you are seeing. (its tough, because this site doesn't show a wife's maiden or father's name)

Anna Holets: https://www.familysearch.org/search...:anna~ +surname:holets~&collection_id=2224537
Anna Zahradnik: https://www.familysearch.org/search...na~ +surname:ZAHRADNIK~&collection_id=2224537

You show Anna Zahradnik, born 1879 as spouse to Anton Holets, who was born 1872

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1488208&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1503957208

I tried to follow up on that using familysearch.org:

I find an Anna Zahradnik, born 1858, wife of Frank Holets, who was born 1863
I find Anton Holets, born 1873, wife Anna, who was born 1880 (don't know her maiden name)
I find an Anna Zahradnik, born in 1880, wife of Joseph Zahradnik, who was born in 1858

View attachment 1490324

OK, using the marriage records, I have been able to confirm Bramblefind's discovery of Anton Holet's marriage to Anna Zahradnik.

https://www.familysearch.org/search...na~ +surname:Zahradnik~&collection_id=1805551

Anna Zahradnik
Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934 birth: 1880 utnam Twp.
marriage: 26 October 1897 Ely, Linn, Iowa, United States
father: Joseph Zahradnik
mother: Anna Koutny
spouse: Anthony Holets

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rodger you said just north of 4th st.SE is that correct, or did you mean 4th st NE, any way hospital records say there was a cemetery
before the one that is there now, they called it rosemont and all signs of it are gone today, they said it was north of the hospital, at
the property boundry near the railroad tracks, i dont see any railroad tracks from google maps.

another thing i have stated that it almost looks like writer of the notes was walking through a cemetery writing down stuff off of
headstones, have you thought about soldiers field veterans memorial?

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe im reading it wrong any way, i traced Anton and Anna and all 11 of their children from birth to death
and im not seeing anything that leads me closer to knowing who wrote the note and what happened to them
anyway im moving on to other things.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe im reading it wrong any way, i traced Anton and Anna and all 11 of their children from birth to death
and im not seeing anything that leads me closer to knowing who wrote the note and what happened to them
anyway im moving on to other things.

I am still trying to confirm/verify some of the things that we have speculated on or that I did not understand. Speculation and imagining things without evidence are not a bad thing here, but it only goes so far. I think it sounds like we are approaching this from different directions, and that's OK, but let me do it my way, please.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
trying to post a link to those books here, cant figure it out, but i would be willing to bet that you guys in minnesota
could go to most any library and they would have them, worldcat says my library has one of them but they have been wrong before.
also for you guys that live in minnesota, that historian that somebody e-mailed lives in st paul.

in reading the discription of that book it says that it has the names of 19,800 enrollee's, also while reading the description it gave me another
idea, if we had not only the rolls but the payroll records, because remember $25 of the $30 dollars you made was maileed home, sounds like my ex-wife
all of these records exist, i just have to get my hands on them.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
trying to post a link to those books here, cant figure it out, but i would be willing to bet that you guys in minnesota
could go to most any library and they would have them, worldcat says my library has one of them but they have been wrong before.
also for you guys that live in minnesota, that historian that somebody e-mailed lives in st paul.

in reading the discription of that book it says that it has the names of 19,800 enrollee's, also while reading the description it gave me another
idea, if we had not only the rolls but the payroll records, because remember $25 of the $30 dollars you made was maileed home, sounds like my ex-wife
all of these records exist, i just have to get my hands on them.

Book? Which book are you referring to, Scott? You can most likely get them via an inter-library exchange request. Most libraries offer that these days. I have been very impressed at the speed they get to me, as well.

Yes, Barb Sommer lives just a short drive from me.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
''Minnesota and Iowa enrolee's of the ccc'' By Robert W.Audretsch
One of Barb Sommers books is called ''Hard work and a new deal'' I beleive it deals with mostly the Rochester camp.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
''Minnesota and Iowa enrolee's of the ccc'' By Robert W.Audretsch
One of Barb Sommers books is called ''Hard work and a new deal'' I beleive it deals with mostly the Rochester camp.

OK, thanks. Got a lot of posts here... its hard to keep up.

I can get Audretsch's "Grand Canyon's Phantom Ranch" through the library, but not his CCC book
I think I will let Barb Sommers do the hard work on this deal, though. Sounds like she took a since interest.

Sommers' "Cover image for Hard work and a good deal : the Civilian Conservation Corps in Minnesota" is available via interlibrary loan, but it is currently being transferred for somebody else.

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, building on what others have suggested, heres a possible interpretation -

If the pages weren't in the correct order it could make some sense.

Page 2
ARTY KENDY
FRANK ROLLAND
BOSS 36
FRANK HUBECHEK
CHIPOWA FALLS
WISCONSIN SALONIST.
----- (divider line drawn on page)
FRANK ROLLAND
FRANK HUBECHECK
ANTON HOLETS
FARM
----- (divider line drawn on page)
ITS THE ONES HERE
JUST THE SAME TALK SAME
GIRL ROBBED ME AS I LOOKED AT HER

(I think the note at the bottom of this page could have been done in hind-sight as opposed to the start of his narrative.
I think the narrative could have started with the continued list of people involved)

Page 4
ROLLAND GIRL, ZAHRADNIK WIFE, JOE HOLETS WIFE, HOUSE TOO
ALL WERE READY TO DRIVE ME IN THERE OR
SMASH MY HEAD WITH A ROCK
IF ROLLAND NOT GET BE BOSS

(here he lists the female counterparts to the males he works with who is in conflict with over the boss position.
The females are driving him into the (yet unmentioned cabin) under threat of smashing his head in to facilitate Rolland becoming boss
presumably while the men folk are gone to work during the day)

DRUNK ROLLAND CAME TO LOG CABIN
CRYING ME GREEN HORN WANTED TO STEAL (stash?) HIS COTTAGE AND EVERY THING

(Rolland shows up to the cabin drunk and calls the note-writer a greenhorn and berates him for usurping the boss position Rolland believes should go to himself. the "cottage" being a benefit of the position)

Page 3
WAS GOING TO SHOOT ME WITH A 38 REVOLVER

(Rolland drunk at the cabin was going to)

SO THEY MAKE ME STAND A LOG CABIN ALL DAY AND
IF I DID NOT SO THEY COULD SHOOT ME AT ONCE

(now that Rolland has shown up drunk with the gun the note-writer is being held
under threat of being shot, not just smashed in the head with rocks by the women folk)

ROLLAND IN.
ZAHRADNIK IN

MILK WAGON 1896
YELLING IN ROAD
HE SEE ABOUT IT

(These two threatened him not to leave the cabin or he will be shot... maybe?)

I HAD TO GO IN THERE THE NEXT DAY ALL DAY SO

Page 5
HE GET TO FIX IT SO HE BE BOSS HERE

(they kept him in the cabin the whole next day so Rolland could take the boss position)

THE NEXT DAY HE TOLD THEM, ZAHRADNIK HE SEE ABOUT IT

(Rolland told someone (the females?) Zahradnik would take care of the note-writer for good)

KINDLY (kinda) FUNNEY ANY WAY

(here he expresses the irony of his escape)

THAT MEANS HE KILLED ME IF THEY COULD NOT DROVE ME IN THERE

(that means Zahradnik was going to kill him if they could (but note-writer escaped), not keep him hidden any longer)

THE NIGHT BEFORE ME HID BY HOUSE SO THEY DIDNT CATCH ME AND KILL ME

(So somehow he escapes the night before the were going to kill him, hides and gets away (maybe someone sympathetic to his situation,
it could also explain how he knew they had decided to kill him)

Just a theory :)

"DRUNK ROLLAND CAME TO LOG CABIN
CRYING ME GREEN HORN WANTED TO STEAL (stash?) HIS COTTAGE AND EVERY THING"

Maybe the log cabin was where Rolland lived, and the author of the note hid in Rolland's house. Then Rolland came home and discovered the author in his house and thought the author was trying to steal from him. :dontknow: I don't know but it just seemed weird that Rolland came to the log cabin and then accused the author of trying to steal his house and/or possessions.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
one way it could read is that DRUNK ROLLAND CAME TO ME CRYING THAT A GREENHORN WANTED TO STEAL HIS COTTAGE.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As I stated in an earlier post, and posted a layout of the state hospital, they had a main building then all of the out buildings
to house patients were known as ''cottages'' 1 Through 12 but they looks like each one was meant to house at least 30 people
maybe more.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ve just spent an hour reading this thread from start to finish and think this is one of the most interesting things I’ve read on Treasurenet. Congratulations to the OP for such a unique find, and Kudos to the OP and others for the fantastic research.

If I may, I would like to ask the OP a couple of question regarding the initial find and the recovery of the note.

- Was the bottle found metal detecting? If so, I assume it was the aluminum cap that gave you the signal.

- Did research bring you to the site, and, if so, what was the research telling you at the time?

- Was the damp paper you refer to in the neck part of the rolled up note (as it looks to be in the pic), or was it separate paper serving as a plug? The bottle must have been sealed quite well for the paper to remain intact underground for so long.

- Did you ultimately have to break the bottle to remove the note?

I am very much looking forward to seeing where the research on the contents ultimately leads us.

Regards,

TCK

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If i am understanding it correctly, many people that wrote books on the ccc got most of their information
from records compiled by that guy Alleger, and that is why you see his name as co-auther, but he did write a
few books on his own, but they are very rare if you find a copy at a local library it will be in the records section and not for checkout.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I read some reviews of Barb sommers book and people were dissapointed that she didnt include the
names of the people that she interviewed, other than that the book has really good reviews, and i beleive
alot of the pictures are from the rochester camp, I am assuming this because there is a pdf on the net
friends of indian hill Barb sommer presentation on ccc, reading through this pdf it lists lots of ''slides''
from the rochester camp.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What a great link, im sure I will find something there, i have only began searching, I havent been able to find much on the
Bayport camp, of what their project there was until now thanks. I had assumed that 1774-v disbanded sometime in 1940
this proves me wrong.

I dont know if we will find any of the names we are looking for in those newsletter because i cant find them in the census
for washington county 1940.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread