🥇 BANNER Bottle with a note inside 5 to 6 inches deep in the ground.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the old maps show a east - west railroad, and a north - south railroad running through this vicinty,
in 1910 along the north -south railroad it shows ownership of some land(a long narrow strip) with the name
Baihly, George Baihly was a well known butcher in Rochester but he died in 1895, but you find references to
Baihly's meat market in the newspapers all the way to 1925.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
going with the surrounding townships near state hosptial
and using the 1928 map link of olmstead county twp map
and the butcher paper, i searched newspapers for meat market
and found,a Baihly & Rommel meat market ad & Hagen Bros'
so went to the 1928 maps, didnt see Hagen close to state
hospital, did find a Baihly in cascade twp,and Baihly & Rommel
in haverhill, they look close to where pk prop is today

this pg also has a Baihly & Rommel meat market ad too
314-316 south broadway
Hagen Bros'
14 third street sw
http://www.mnhs.org/newspapers/lccn/sn90060315/1922-09-29/ed-1/seq-8

=====================================
maps
Olmsted County 1928 Minnesota Historical Atlas

Baihly cascade twp
Screenshot 2017-09-18 at 9.16.52 PM.png

Baihly & Rommel haverhill twp
Screenshot 2017-09-18 at 10.06.20 PM.png

blue box where i think pk would be today, prob off a bit
Screenshot 2017-09-18 at 9.33.08 PM.png

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
I've been continuing to explore the possibly Iowa connection -- my candidate right now for "Arty Kendy" is Arthur Kenley of Cedar Rapids. Just guessing right now & attached is some of the documentation.

He was arrested for bootlegging in 1918 and had a "colorful" life - note the mysterious stabbing in Omaha, Nebraska in 1925. He did survive and appears on the 1930 census there.

He also was briefly in the general area of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin (Menominee) at the same time that Frank Hubacheck was there (circa 1907).

The evidence of that is that his son was born and lived there with his grandparents (per 1910 census) & his listing of his son as his nearest relative on his WWI Draft registration. I think the wife/mother had died and Arthur Kenley left his young son with his maternal grandparents in Wisconsin and he returned to Linn Co., Iowa.

The son, George Kenley, had a short life with notable criminal incidences.

I also found that "Frank Roland" had a butcher shop in Fairfax, Linn Co, Iowa in 1914. But I haven't been able to track down any more info about this.

Attachments

• tnetbottleNews.jpg
    tnetbottleNews.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 235

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been continuing to explore the possibly Iowa connection -- my candidate right now for "Arty Kendy" is Arthur Kenley of Cedar Rapids. Just guessing right now & attached is some of the documentation.

He was arrested for bootlegging in 1918 and had a "colorful" life - note the mysterious stabbing in Omaha, Nebraska in 1925. He did survive and appears on the 1930 census there.

He also was briefly in the general area of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin (Menominee) at the same time that Frank Hubacheck was there (circa 1907).

The evidence of that is that his son was born and lived there with his grandparents (per 1910 census) & his listing of his son as his nearest relative on his WWI Draft registration. I think the wife/mother had died and Arthur Kenley left his young son with his maternal grandparents in Wisconsin and he returned to Linn Co., Iowa.

The son, George Kenley, had a short life with notable criminal incidences.

I also found that "Frank Roland" had a butcher shop in Fairfax, Linn Co, Iowa in 1914. But I haven't been able to track down any more info about this.

Now that is some spectacular sleuthing, Bramblefind....excellent work! :icon_thumright:

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
trying one more, this FR is told old for reform school

http://cedarrapids.advantage-preser...=Cedar Rapids&pn=Cedar Rapids Evening Gazette
Iowa Cedar Rapids Cedar Rapids Evening Gazette Friday, April 5th, 1889

I've been using that newspaper search at the Cedar Rapids Library - it's a great resource!

I think I have traced that Frank Roland (Rowland?)- the reform school reference - and I think he may be the one who died in his 20s in the 1890s. He actually did go to reform school years earlier and shows up on an earlier census. I thought he would be a good fit before I found out he had died.

There are a couple others in the area from that same family - I think that Frank Roland had a son Frank (his only child) and also his brother named a son Frank.

I discounted these as being too young but I may need to take another look. There is also a Frank Rollins who was older but was big into organized labor in the city (he was a plasterer) the organized labor reference with interesting but I didn't think he would be a good fit with the farmers.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What? two weeks and no more info? I just finished reading 75% and decided to skip to the end. I bet there is a dead body buried somewhere or at least a cache.

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went back a couple of times and i dug this WM Rogers X 19 Table spoon. I also dug a top off a blob top bottle .
Just below were i think the cabin was there is a big area that was bulldozed at one time and about 3 feet of earth has been removed.
Maybe a big dump outside the cabin .
I would think i could find an old bottle around there .A lot of large tin cans mostly crushed on top of the ground . I'M no good at research so don't expect much from me.
spoon 001.JPG

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
rogerdodger, could you pin point on a map for us
maybe we could fig what was there or who owned that spot

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rogerdodger, could you pin point on a map for us
maybe we could fig what was there or who owned that spot
Here is the map.
The X with arrow pointing is close to were the cabin and bottle were found.
Just left and north of the X in the green area is a small quarry and the big quarry would be south east near the lake . Map 001.jpg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Another mystery, to me, at least, is the apparent dates scattered here and there. 1936, 1900-1910, 1895-1899, and 1896

Milkwagon has a four digit number.1896 ( if recalled right). An asylum i.d.?
Could the four digit numbers on the list of names be numbers assigned to people as i.d.'s in other works of the era around the found bottle site?

Not sure of time frame of bottle ms.. But parts of Minnesota were affected more than others earlier by the dustbowl/ dirty thirties that made people half mad ,or worse .
Kept many folks on the move and desperate for work.

The amount of product on the order/ receipts could suggest institutional volumes of food.
Bones for soup. Tallow for crusts....maybe.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The forms with the butcher shop letterhead , nag....
Where were they in process? Ordering,delivery,payment?
Perhaps the writer hoped their not being accounted for would arouse suspicion enough to cause investigation. Or were they simply discarded but valuable as paper?

If delivery person( s) were actually robbed of a payment ,those robbed would want to prove they did not simply run off with it and disappeared.
People did disappear as they do today from work. Though then for more reasons than simply not liking their employment.

Wondering about the female mentioned as robbing me while I looked at her...Not so much as a physical act as much as the look in her eyes telling him she knew what was going on with the bad stuff and was involved with the others named somehow. Like ,she'd just as soon shoot me as look at me.

Were the notes an affidavit for the law in a worse case , or a written paranoia, or both?

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh no. Here it is, the 17th and not another word. This is like watching a series and having to wait for the 'cliff-hanger'. I think relevantchair has something- with regards to people and families going to and fro. It was during the dust bowl. Combine that with the government's advice to farm- almost exclusively wheat in that area- a major reason why so much land was decimated. So ya, people/families moved a lot. That combined with the tale-end of the Depression.

I keep feeling the note was written to a friend. Someone who knew what was going on- and who the author was- as well as the circumstances.
I also feel like the markings on the pages were written at different times. Some of the words- the writing- is more controlled than others. The pencil tip a little sharper here, duller and wider in other places. What does this have to do with anything? I don't know. But it may indicate that the person had time. That would lead me to think he was well hidden and felt safe to pull out his documents and continue writing.
I also agree that there shouldn't be a color associated with this fellow. The author's choice of words is in line with the times.
I would try focusing on unions and union wars. There may be articles in local papers...Something going on between the camps and the unions/farmers?
It could be that this was just one of many incidents that happened, coming so quickly on the heals of prohibition, Capone-style gang warfare, general strife- that it didn't make the papers?
I also think that if the author or this message had signed his name anywhere- it would have been somehow different than the rest of his writing. Stronger and more confident. The fellow could write well, so although the lingo might be weird to us, I think this person was not ignorant.
But he may have been crazy. Smart but crazy. But I think desperate suits him better.
Has anyone checked this out?
<titleproper>MINNESOTA WORKS PROGRESS ADMINISTRATION:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread