Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's $200 less than the Teknetics Gamma 6000 and it's the same detector. I posted this on another site and it was taken down PDQ. Hopefully it will stay up here.

I called Bounty Hunter direct and the sales rep said it's the same exact detector except the display is moved back onto the handle instead of on the rod and it's missing the Teknetics logo's.

The price is good until the 15th. I got me one.

http://www.metaldetector.com/bounty-hunter-platinum-metal-detector

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was taught if you can't say something nice to someone don't say nothing at all. Well since I am not nice, I will continue.

First off and a tip off to anyone that has beach detected, the Ground Balance advertised on this machine will not allow this thing to be stable at a saltwater beach in the wet sand. But the ad implies it is good for beach hunting. Only a PI or a multi frequence detector is good for that. The Bounty Hunter line still has quality issues and a poor warranty record. We used to sell them and stopped because lots of hunters brought them back for a refund and bought something else. These First Texas detectors are good for newcomers to the hobby and don't know if they will like the hunt.

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to say this... I can't speak on other Bounty Hunter models, but I can comment on my BH LoneStar.

I LOVE my Bounty Hunter on the beach. I don't have any problems. If it's considered a bad machine I'd REALLY love to try a GOOD one.

I'd love to try the Platnum, but I can't afford a new detector yet.

I'd really like to pick up an AT Pro, but I won't be able to spend that kind of money for a long time.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
The Gamma and the Platinum are superficially similar, but many differences in details. Some of those differences are not described anywhere in sales literature because they involve trade secrets. Both machines offer good value in their price range.

--Dave J.

OP
OP
Coin Digger

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:
I was taught if you can't say something nice to someone don't say nothing at all. Well since I am not nice, I will continue.

First off and a tip off to anyone that has beach detected, the Ground Balance advertised on this machine will not allow this thing to be stable at a saltwater beach in the wet sand. But the ad implies it is good for beach hunting. Only a PI or a multi frequence detector is good for that. The Bounty Hunter line still has quality issues and a poor warranty record. We used to sell them and stopped because lots of hunters brought them back for a refund and bought something else. These First Texas detectors are good for newcomers to the hobby and don't know if they will like the hunt.

Wow whats your problem, ??? some one with a Bounty Hunter find something you couldn't. :icon_scratch:

If your reading this and considering the machine, I did talk to the customer sales rep at Bounty Hunter you know First Texas the same people that make Teknetics and Fisher. I was told it shared the same electronics as the Gama 6000.
I think I'll take their word over someone that can't say something nice.
Call them 1-800-413-4131

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Despite obvious similarities, they aren't the same. It's possible that something got miscommunicated or that the person with whom you talked wasn't aware of the differences since they are mostly things that don't show up on a "list of features" sales sheet.

Responding to Sandman: single-frequency metal detectors can be used on saltwater beaches, but under most conditions there will be a serious reduction in performance as you get into the wet stuff and some may not work literally in the water. However, there are substantial differences between models in how they deal with a wet salt environment. This is an area where the Gamma is superior to the Platinum.

As I said in a previous post, the Gamma and Platinum are sold in different price ranges and both offer good value in their respective price ranges.

--Dave Johnson
Chief Designer, FTP-Fisher

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sorry to come off as putting down any of First Texas products. First Texas is one of best makers of the major brands. I guess my problem is with false advertising that lead newcomers to believe the hype and misleading statements about detectors without explaining the differences or results of features. All the manufacturers make detectors with different price points. Features like options on cars cost more money. You get what you pay for most times. Spending more money does not mean more fun or more finds. Many wanting to get into the hobby are intimidated by the high prices and perceived higher quality of the big buck detectors. People just have to do thier homework to learn what they are shopping for. However buying by mail order in most cases is easy, it is not the way to get into the hobby as a local dealer can help newcomers with one on one treatment and teaching. Most manufacturers don't support local dealers and go for the large mail order houses with the result customers don't get the detector they need to enjoy the hobby as they should. But whose fault is that..... :coffee2:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't found a single frequency detector yet that works well in wet salt sand. Yes, they can function, but only to a depth of a few inches.

The best I have found so far has been the Depectorpro Wader at an ultralow 2.7 kHz. The depth isn't amazing, but it does beat out the other single frequency detectors I have tried to use.

For wet salt, you really need either a PI or dual/multi-frequency detector.

Too many of these ads promote the claim that the single frequency detector can function on the beach, but they don't make clear just how poorly they perform compared to the dry sand/land.

OP
OP
Coin Digger

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't own a Bounty Hunter and this will be my first, but like most people maybe the reason people look down on them is because of people trying to justify having paid big bucks for their detectors. I remember when the F2 first came out and I bought one. People dogged them and they didn't even own one because it was a cheap entry level detector. For the money the F2 is one of the best you can buy in the category and I'm not alone in thinking that, I'll put it up against a machine twice it's price.
As far as beech hunting I don't think I would take my non waterproof detector near water. If that was my thing I would buy one just for that, and I'm hundreds of miles away from the ocean.

Think about this.
A: The web site selling them bought the entire production run so their the only ones that have them.
B: That tells me First Texas took off the shelf components to make this model, because no manufacture is going to invest money just to make a limited production model. Theres no money in it.
C: I work in manufacturing and it's very common to make the same thing, change it a little, put a different stamp on it, and charge more or less.
D: I think Bounty Hunter (First Texas) is testing the waters to see if theres any interest among the metal detecting world for a higher end looking Bounty Hunter. Their line of detectors is due for a make over especially in the looks department.
E: Maybe there trying to increase the value of the brand and customer base.
F: If your a manufacture sales rep you should know the product your selling, so why would any manufacture sales rep lie to me about something like that? They have more to loose if caught lying in this economy.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
I haven't found a single frequency detector yet that works well in wet salt sand. Yes, they can function, but only to a depth of a few inches.

The best I have found so far has been the Depectorpro Wader at an ultralow 2.7 kHz. The depth isn't amazing, but it does beat out the other single frequency detectors I have tried to use.

Too many of these ads promote the claim that the single frequency detector can function on the beach, but they don't make clear just how poorly they perform compared to the dry sand/land.
On the West coast beaches of Florida the AT pro works well in the wet sand. I run 5 of 8 bars sens with no falsing and dig coins and rings at 8 to 10 inches. I dont know if thats good, but I think it is.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Smudge said:

That is the reason the Fisher 1280x is pretty good in salt water for a vlf....It's low frequency... 2.4 kHz................................

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lookindown said:
Smudge said:

On the West coast beaches of Florida the AT pro works well in the wet sand. I run 5 of 8 bars sens with no falsing and dig coins and rings at 8 to 10 inches. I dont know if thats good, but I think it is.
I wouldn't complain with that kind of depth at all.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy, I could only use the 1280 at some beaches along the coasts of Fl. and couldn't use it much at all in the wet sand or surf in VA. Just depends on amount of salt and black sand.

frank1fm

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For whatever this comment is worth.I just bought a discontinued Bounty Hunter Time Ranger metal detector.I bought it because I saw someone on Youtube with a much cheaper model BH on the beach getting solid hits in salt water with their detectors.I own an expensive piece of junk White's VX3 which is great at finding bottle caps,pull tabs and nails.Using White's on the beach in salt water is a waste of time.When I got the BH Time Ranger,the first thing I did was go to the beach and bury 3 silver coins.A 25 cent silver,a 50 cent silver and a Morgan silver dollar.I buried all three coins in about 5inches of sand at the water's edge so waves just covered the sand.I turned on the BH and bang,bang,bang I got hits on all 3 coins.I turned on the Junk VX3 and sure enough it went crazy as usual.The VX3 has a salt beach mode which works great.It works so good you can't get a hit on anything.GREAT!.I don't care what any one says about Bounty Hunter.All I know is I'm finding coins and jewelry on the the beach and in the salt water now with this Bounty Hunter.I've seen videos of Detector Pro PI and other PI's being used on the beach on Youtube and I'll tell you something,this BH I got outperforms them.If you want to believe what I say,fine,if you don't,that's also fine.The proof is in the pudding.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well there you go! I'm gunna trade off my Porsche and get a Pinto!

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fella said:
Well there you go! I'm gunna trade off my Porsche and get a Pinto!

Sounds like you want too upgrade. Lol

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For whatever this comment is worth.I just bought a discontinued Bounty Hunter Time Ranger metal detector.I bought it because I saw someone on Youtube with a much cheaper model BH on the beach getting solid hits in salt water with their detectors.I own an expensive piece of junk White's VX3 which is great at finding bottle caps,pull tabs and nails.Using White's on the beach in salt water is a waste of time.When I got the BH Time Ranger,the first thing I did was go to the beach and bury 3 silver coins.A 25 cent silver,a 50 cent silver and a Morgan silver dollar.I buried all three coins in about 5inches of sand at the water's edge so waves just covered the sand.I turned on the BH and bang,bang,bang I got hits on all 3 coins.I turned on the Junk VX3 and sure enough it went crazy as usual.The VX3 has a salt beach mode which works great.It works so good you can't get a hit on anything.GREAT!.I don't care what any one says about Bounty Hunter.All I know is I'm finding coins and jewelry on the the beach and in the salt water now with this Bounty Hunter.I've seen videos of Detector Pro PI and other PI's being used on the beach on Youtube and I'll tell you something,this BH I got outperforms them.If you want to believe what I say,fine,if you don't,that's also fine.The proof is in the pudding.

I would like to frame this post!

Everyone always seem to praise their expensive "top of the line" detectors and here you call it a piece of junk, stating the "lowly" B.H. is a better machine.

Love it!!!!:hello2:

Cheers,
Dave.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it just me?
I love reading contentious threads like this.

Joseph Gilbert

Dec 10, 2012
Sandman said:

I have a bounty hunter its like a mid range one and it may not have all the different discrimination features but I have found mercury dimes barber halves and tons of other coins and relics at beyond a foot deep at times and my thinking on this is buy a cheap one find what you can until you make enough to buy a top of the line one with your findings if you want to. Me personally I find so much stuff with my cheap Bounty Hunter that I just don't find it necessary to go buy an expensive replacement. Eventually I will get a very expensive one I can afford one I guess I'm just waiting to see someone walk behind me and find something that I actually missed.

bucketlist47

Apr 8, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone purchased a Bounty Hunter in 2017 or 2018, I’m a beginner and need help

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread