Bounty Hunter Platinum Users Thread

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used
USING-Tesoro DeLeon, Vaquero, Compadre

OWNED-Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites Classic II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here ya go. Pumping the coil works. Don't question old timers till you get more experience. Ground Grab is Ground Grab on all FTP products.

Again you do not own this detector (I do) and your are an expert. Its is videos like this that was confusing to me. This is NOT how the manual says to do it. It IS how it tells you to do it with the GAMMA(two same looking machines but different). But being the pro you are you know that already.

Just because the guy in the video did it that way doesn't mean he did it right.

The manual says to lower to with in one 1" and 2 target id will drop to a steady number THEN after 3 seconds BEEP. NOW IT IS CORRECTLY GROUND GRABBED!

i never heard an indication beep on THAT video when he did it his way.

I have also read different threads where people where having trouble ground grabbing until they followed the directions in the manual which is different then others.

Another note:I'll be willing to bet the way he did it, the ground balance didn't lock in. so after he went back to disc the machine went right back to factory setting for GB. Because the number was not locked into the detector with a confirming beep.

The gamma has a lot of features the bounty hunter doesn't. Which makes it different. But not enough price wise for me.

A quote from Bevo1986 in a different thread here on treasurenet.

Bevo1986 "says",
I just started using the Platinum and had been using a 3300 previously. The ground balance with the 3300 was adjusted by putting the machine in pinpoint mode with the coil lifted,in the all metal mode, ground balance knob in preset and depressing the pinpoint button. Lower the coil and listen. If you hear a sound lift the coil and adjust the ground balance knob clock wise and repeat. When you drop the coil and do not hear anything the machine is balanced. The Platinum is the same except that when you drop the coil the ground balance is adjusted for you. You do not have to repeat lifting the coil up and down, just hold it steady 2 inches above the ground. When the number indicated on the screen settles you will hear a high beeping tone and ground balance is complete. If you hear a low tone and dashes across the screen the machine did not balance and there may be some metal under the coil. Look for clear ground and repeat. I have not had any problems with the ground hear in Kentucky and the balance usually settles between 45 and 55. The process is quick and easy. I did find that it may need to be repeated about every thirty minutes or so in trashy areas. I am by no means an expert and correct me if I am wrong. Hope this helps. HH

So please don't assume every machine is the same, even if you are an old pro. :censored:

Last edited:

Fixitdave

May 11, 2012
I have platinum and pumping dont work so good.Following directions works alot better.happy hunting

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have hunted with some that use the Platinum. and I always saw them pump. I tried to help by what I saw worked for others. My BH LRP has Ground Grab and "pump coil" appears on the screen at the appropriate time. But do what works for you.

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I will. I want to do what is suppose to be done. And I would like to learn and show what I have learned with people that already have the platinum or are looking to get one.
I read so many different threads where someone is looking for a certain item and are asking info from people that have it. Then you always get the guy that says I don't have one but my buddy does. So then he proceeds to put his take on it. Which ends up trying to steer someone away from what they were asking. Or giving misleading info.
I know you were trying to help and I thank you. But not every detector is the same.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I gave you your first "like" in friendship to show we are usually willing help. Hope you get many more.:occasion14:

mole 248

Feb 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I will. I want to do what is suppose to be done. And I would like to learn and show what I have learned with people that already have the platinum or are looking to get one.
I read so many different threads where someone is looking for a certain item and are asking info from people that have it. Then you always get the guy that says I don't have one but my buddy does. So then he proceeds to put his take on it. Which ends up trying to steer someone away from what they were asking. Or giving misleading info.
I know you were trying to help and I thank you. But not every detector is the same.
I have a platinum that I have been using over 2 years. When I got mine I saw video saying to use pump up &down to ground balance didn't work so well for me so I actually read directions( hate directions)& wow,it worked & still does does.Only issue I've had is sometimes it just stops working.Got into habit of from time to time swing past my boot that has metal eyelets.sorry posts so long but hope it helps ya!!happy hunting.

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a platinum that I have been using over 2 years. When I got mine I saw video saying to use pump up &down to ground balance didn't work so well for me so I actually read directions( hate directions)& wow,it worked & still does does.Only issue I've had is sometimes it just stops working.Got into habit of from time to time swing past my boot that has metal eyelets.sorry posts so long but hope it helps ya!!happy hunting.

Can you tell me how you like it! Any great finds?

mole248

Feb 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you tell me how you like it! Any great finds?

You can trust it, if it says there's something there, there is. I found a 1941 wheat penny a at a little over 9 inches which is pretty good. Stumbled on a sight,the relics date from early 17th to around 1800. So far found cufflinks, a lot of buttons, a large copper coin (king George half shilling ) a stirrup and a lot of square nails. Other places I've found clad, pop tabs, cow bell and a pewter bell and a lot of unidentifiable stuff. Btw, I only have the 8 inch round coil. Thinking about getting the 11 inch coil but need to find more info if anyone out there has it..Good luck hunting

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good! Im excited to go play outside with it but we are buried in snow and the ground is frozen solid! I have read the 8" concentric coil is a good one for this unit. I have seen the 11dd on sale for $135 for this detector. I was thinking it can't hurt! You should be able to cover more ground with it. I may have to get one too. But I think I need to run the 8" coil for awhile. I wish there was a good comparison on line of the two coils on this unit. From just playing around in the house with mine. I really do like how it locks on good to a target. Nickel hits solid every time at 57 and a pull tab is 58. So I cant wait to see if I get the same reading from a nickel thats in the ground. That way I can skip the 58 id number. I'll have to dig a few to make sure. I know gold could be 58. My wedding ring come up as a 63 and my wife's ring comes up in the lowers 50's. But if I pull up tons of pull tabs at 58, I just wont dig that ID#(even if I miss gold). Im's sure the gold to pull tab ration will be 99% higher in that id number for pull tabs. So even if i was to miss a ring there, the time saved not digging junk will make up for it self later on. But I wont really know this for sure until I get out and actually dig.

Fixitdave

May 11, 2012
Has anyone found any platinum items.With the bounty hunter platinum.If so what number did it show.thank you happy hunting

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Woodnack, good to see another BHP user out there...despite having to wait out the winter. Living in Wisconsin myself, I feel your pain. I've been posting here for nearly a year now, and my profile page has a gallery if you're interested in seeing some of the things I've unearthed.
Specifically, about ground balancing, there's a reason why the instruction book explains the GB technique the way it does -- it's how the unit was built. :evil5: Read it -- plan and simple. However, on more than one occasion, I have had trouble with the unit locking into a number, even though I know there isn't any metal in the ground from previously scanning the ground in the all metal mode to make sure it was clear. I suspect it has something to do with the amount of water content in the ground; GB seems more temperamental with high moisture content. Not always, just sometimes. Ah well.
Overall, I'm pleased with this unit, as it definitely is an upgrade from my Pioneer 202. I run an 11" coil with my platinum which, like you said, covers more ground. I really appreciate the pin pointing aspect when I need to zero in on the object. Battery life is really nice; just one 9V (footnote: re-chargeable battery's don't last as long). It's a great coin finder, but like you suspected expect to dig a lot of flip tabs. At times I'll completely discriminate that range out of the unit and shoot for only copper and higher. It makes for a nicer dig knowing every object will have some value to it. When I'm in areas of lesser debris, I'll run nearly the full range of detection.
So, anyways, hope to hear from you soon. I'm counting the days with you when we see that first patch of thawed ground. I'm already getting anxious for spring!

Last edited:

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Woodnack, good to see another BHP user out there...despite having to wait out the winter. Living in Wisconsin myself, I feel your pain. I've been posting here for nearly a year now, and my profile page has a gallery if you're interested in seeing some of the things I've unearthed.
Specifically, about ground balancing, there's a reason why the instruction book explains the GB technique the way it does -- it's how the unit was built. :evil5: Read it -- plan and simple. However, on more than one occasion, I have had trouble with the unit locking into a number, even though I know there isn't any metal in the ground from previously scanning the ground in the all metal mode to make sure it was clear. I suspect it has something to do with the amount of water content in the ground; GB seems more temperamental with high moisture content. Not always, just sometimes. Ah well.
Overall, I'm pleased with this unit, as it definitely is an upgrade from my Pioneer 202. I run an 11" coil with my platinum which, like you said, covers more ground. I really appreciate the pin pointing aspect when I need to zero in on the object. Battery life is really nice; just one 9V (footnote: re-chargeable battery's don't last as long). It's a great coin finder, but like you suspected expect to dig a lot of flip tabs. At times I'll completely discriminate that range out of the unit and shoot for only copper and higher. It makes for a nicer dig knowing every object will have some value to it. When I'm in areas of lesser debris, I'll run nearly the full range of detection.
So, anyways, hope to hear from you soon. I'm counting the days with you when we see that first patch of thawed ground. I'm already getting anxious for spring!

I checked out your album! Very nice finds!!

Thanks for the info. I've been playing in the house with the coil. seeing how good it masks, etc. getting use to the tones and what # of tones I think is good for me.
Im thinking about getting the Bounty Hunter 4" Magnum Power Search Coil for trashy places or tot lots or small areas I want to take my time and cover. Its $60. Im wondering how it will pinpoint with this coil. My bet is, it will pin point like a bolt of lightning.:laughing7:
Or the depth on it.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 4" coil is made for the 6.6 khz machines. The 5" Greek series coil with a plug in connector (tekB) is the optimal small coil made for the 7.8 khz machines. I heard using the 4" on a 7.8 khz machine doesn't register much depth.

BOUNTY HUNTER COIL TABLE

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to know! I didn't look to deep into the 4" coil. The thought hit me when I saw it on the web. But your right. Looks like the 5" is the smallest coil for the platinum. Which is hard to find. I did see one for $120. I'll have to keep looking around.

MD'erStEvO

Feb 16, 2015
Vicenza (Military)
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 11" Coil, Bounty Hunter Platinum Edition, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stone,

My son and I both found rings about 3 days ago.... I'm about to hand my younger son my BountyHunterPlatinum so he can have a better detector..... It's great, but when batteries run down, the all metal mode kinda stops working, and the discrimination does as well. I found out that in cold cold weather conditions that the batteries act up (mine were brand new) and the machines keeps going off constantly over nothing. .... After I took it home and let it warm up, it worked fine. I bought duracell batteries now and will try them too. All in all, it's a great machine, but I'm moving up the to Deus.... GL & HH

MD'erStEvO

MD'erStEvO

Feb 16, 2015
Vicenza (Military)
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 11" Coil, Bounty Hunter Platinum Edition, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woodnack,
Good afternoon my time! I will say that I have a slight issue with my pin pointer.... It seems to get me close, but I don't currently have a pin pointer yet, and I'm usually off by a few inches which in the long run can seem like miles off when digging blindly!!! I grab my sons 75 dollar 10 year old basic detector to get over the top and find it. I am happy with my BHP, but just haven't truly found its potential overt the targets. Have you experienced this when PP'ing????

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woodnack,
Good afternoon my time! I will say that I have a slight issue with my pin pointer.... It seems to get me close, but I don't currently have a pin pointer yet, and I'm usually off by a few inches which in the long run can seem like miles off when digging blindly!!! I grab my sons 75 dollar 10 year old basic detector to get over the top and find it. I am happy with my BHP, but just haven't truly found its potential overt the targets. Have you experienced this when PP'ing????

I have not had a chance to get out and use mine yet. We keep getting snow here and the ground is frozen solid! Though i do have a few spots on my lawn that i want to dig. Ive got a few nice high signals there but my lawn is frozen solid. I also picked up a Tesoro Compadre. can't wait to try out both.

But just playing around in the house i think i can x the target good enough with out pinpointing it. But the real truth will be when I get out there and really get to use it.

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woodnack,

I have a Garrett Pinpointer. I find it's greatest use when popping the plug and honing in on the target in the hole. Before that, however, I use the pin-point setting on my BHP to detect where to dig. Do you crisscross your target? Once I get a signal, I'll sweep to see where it is on one axis, then turn 90 degrees and sweep perpendicular to the signal. That way I make an imaginary cross hair in the grass. The BHP is usually accurate within an inch if the target is facing flat to the surface. Keep in mind, targets that are edge-on to the surface can yield an angled signal, meaning it may tell you the target is at point A, when in fact it's slightly to one side at point B.

Hope this helps. At least you get the chance to dig! Like Woodknack, the Wisconsin soil here is a good month away from digging. And I used to love winters....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread