Bounty Hunter Quick Silver in salt water

xenaskm

Oct 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Silver, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Hi,

I'm pretty new to md'ing and I have a BH Quick Silver. I have found exactly $1.03 and I have looked in NY, MA and on the Outer Banks, NC. I think my MD is having a problem with salt water. The second the coil touches salt water it registers coin, if the coil touches the sand, same thing and if it passes over seaweed it registers aluminum. Is this normal? I'm seriously thinking about giving up on the BH and getting a higher quality md. At this rate my MD might pay for itself in about 20 years! Any suggestions?

BigRon

May 22, 2007
Richmond Texas
Detector(s) used
, BH Lone Star, BH Pinpointer, Homebuilt BFO, Index finger
I had similar experience with my Pioneer EX (Wal-Mart version of Quick Silver). I bought a Lone Star, which has the ability to adjust sensitivity and Discrimination as well as a headphone jack but yet to try it on a beach.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
adjust the power /sen to low and up the disc --its picking up the minerals in the saltwater --ie its too sensitive --

OP
OP
X

xenaskm

Oct 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
This particular Bounty Hunter doesn't have a sensitivity button or a dial for the power. It's just on or off. When you say up the disc, do you mean get a bigger coil? I'm new to all this jargon :).

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ah ,my quick draw 2 does have two knobs -- one is sensitivity / (power) --the other discrimanation ---

OP
OP
X

xenaskm

Oct 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
I used the MD in regular dirt for the first time today and found 3 dimes, 3 nickels, 1 penny, a metal fishing lure, some kind of metal ammo casing and something I can't identify because of all the gunk on it, I think it's a coin. All that in addition to numerous pull tabs and bottle tops. That was in a little over an hour. I think I can safely say the quick silver stinks in salt water. I'm lucky I live in NYC and can find more than enough dirt to work in, but if I want to work in the sand and on the beaches it looks like I'll have to get another MD. Anyone know if any of the BH MD's work well in salt water?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions