Boxes of Cents?

bdrilling5

Jan 4, 2013
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Other
I wanted to get some opinions, since I'm new to the hobby, on how to best utilize my time. Since I'm coming up on a long weekend, I thought it might be a good time to try sifting through a box or two of something. I was thinking about 2 boxes of Cents, but I wanted to ask: Would my time be better spent searching through a different denomination of coin?

A quick background (if it helps): I began the hobby with an interest in cents and, more recently, have gotten silver fever (a big surprise, I'm sure). I'm not sure though, on a tight budget (about $100), that I could get anything other than a few boxes of cents. I know a box of pennies is $25 and a box of halves runs $500 but I'm fuzzy on the rest. (I just can't seem to memorize the beginners guide)

I guess the ultimate question is: Are boxes of cents a good option, or would I be better off searching through a different denomination (if I can afford it), or should I just forget about boxes on a small ($100) budget and try to stock up on CWRs for the weekend?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bdrilling5

Jan 4, 2013
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a poor student and only can afford a $25 box of cents for the long weekend. So that's what I'm going to do until I have more funding at my fingertips...

Jamin_03

I know the feeling. If this were year ago, I wouldn't even have to ask if I should up the denomination, I'd be in the exact same shoes. Thankfully, now I'm a broke grad student (Grad Assistant actually) with a working wife. There's a little bit of money to play with now (mostly Christmas money she can't get mad at me for using :laughing7: ).

OP
OP
B

bdrilling5

Jan 4, 2013
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Other
I wound up getting 2 boxes of pennies/cents, 4 rolls of dimes, 25 Eisenhower dollars and 5 dollars in halves. So far I've checked the dimes, the half dollars, and the dollars. Nothing silver and nothing really exciting, just some good condition coins I'm gonna keep. I still have to look up the dollar coins to find out if any of them are worth anything and I still have to check the pennies/cents. I'll keep you posted.

P.S. All I'm planning on keeping so far are 23 dimes in good condition. I may not even keep all of those once I start filling out the Whitman folders for dimes.

- bdrilling5

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I wound up getting 2 boxes of pennies/cents, 4 rolls of dimes, 25 Eisenhower dollars and 5 dollars in halves. So far I've checked the dimes, the half dollars, and the dollars. Nothing silver and nothing really exciting, just some good condition coins I'm gonna keep. I still have to look up the dollar coins to find out if any of them are worth anything and I still have to check the pennies/cents. I'll keep you posted.

P.S. All I'm planning on keeping so far are 23 dimes in good condition. I may not even keep all of those once I start filling out the Whitman folders for dimes.

- bdrilling5

Check for the FEVs and 1972 Type IIs.

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I searched cents for a while, and I am going to get back into it. I searched somewhere close to probably $1,400 by hand and found 2 brockage errors, a MS-63 2000 WAM, 3 indians, and many other WAMS. The brockages are my favorite. And I would always sell the copper cents because I figured, "Why not?" I made probably $65-$80, which covered my gas costs, just by listing the copper cents and then taking them to the post office. Silver dimes are good. If you get 2 boxes of cents a week, I would just pick up 10 customer rolls of dimes while you're there, once again "Why not?" Always ask for halves as well. If you do that every week, you'll probably be getting close to 80 wheats+ per month, probably more, and 2 silver dimes a month. Plus I'm sure you'd find some WAMS if you searched for them. They are worth a few bucks on feebay. I found about 10 I think, but never the ultra rare 1999 WAM :( I wanted. Anyways, that's my advice, good luck to you!

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
dude cents are awesome if your new to CRH. Keep all the wheaties and copper. it would be cool if you ran into IH's and older

OP
OP
B

bdrilling5

Jan 4, 2013
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Other
So these probably newbie questions but I firmly fall under that category so here goes...

Are these for the dimes or pennies/cents and what do I look for to identify them?

I searched cents for a while, and I am going to get back into it. I searched somewhere close to probably $1,400 by hand and found 2 brockage errors, a MS-63 2000 WAM, 3 indians, and many other WAMS. The brockages are my favorite. And I would always sell the copper cents because I figured, "Why not?" I made probably $65-$80, which covered my gas costs, just by listing the copper cents and then taking them to the post office. Silver dimes are good. If you get 2 boxes of cents a week, I would just pick up 10 customer rolls of dimes while you're there, once again "Why not?" Always ask for halves as well. If you do that every week, you'll probably be getting close to 80 wheats+ per month, probably more, and 2 silver dimes a month. Plus I'm sure you'd find some WAMS if you searched for them. They are worth a few bucks on feebay. I found about 10 I think, but never the ultra rare 1999 WAM :( I wanted. Anyways, that's my advice, good luck to you!

And, I was going to ask what a WAM was until I realized it's something I've already been keeping an eye out for, the Wide AM (1993 through 2008, right?).

Anyway, I'm going pretty slowly since I have a few graduate courses that I'm doing homework for as well, and a wife that's upset with my new hobby. But, I'm about 25 rolls in and here's what I've found:

An extremely worn 1915 (could barely make out the "15")
1942d
1946 x 2
1957d
1958d

And more than 6 rolls that I've filled with copper.

Almost forgot - 33 of the 2009 pennies/cents (I'll probably only keep the good clean ones)

and 2 Canadian cents, one from 1945 and one from 1962.

Last edited:

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
bdrilling5 said:
sagittarius98 said:
Are these for the dimes or pennies/cents and what do I look for to identify them?

These are for the Eisenhower dollars.

FEV = Friendly Eagle Variety: THE 1971-D FRIENDLY EAGLE VARIETY (FEV)

1972 Type II: eBay Guides - 1972 Type 1, 2, 3 Eisenhower Dollars

Also, keep any from 1973 (those were not intended for circulation, NIFC), any 'S' mint coins (some of the S mint coins are 40% silver: the only ones that could be silver are 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, and 1976). Also any that are in really nice uncirculated condition.

OP
OP
B

bdrilling5

Jan 4, 2013
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Other
These are for the Eisenhower dollars.

FEV = Friendly Eagle Variety: THE 1971-D FRIENDLY EAGLE VARIETY (FEV)

1972 Type II: eBay Guides - 1972 Type 1, 2, 3 Eisenhower Dollars

Also, keep any from 1973 (those were not intended for circulation, NIFC), any 'S' mint coins (some of the S mint coins are 40% silver: the only ones that could be silver are 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, and 1976). Also any that are in really nice uncirculated condition.

Gotcha. None were 'S' mint. I went back and double checked them, and none were the FEV or 1972 Type II. None from 1973 either.

Thanks for the links, they've been saved, and thanks, sagittarius98, for the heads up!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Gotcha. None were 'S' mint. I went back and double checked them, and none were the FEV or 1972 Type II. None from 1973 either.

Thanks for the links, they've been saved, and thanks, sagittarius98, for the heads up!

Save this link too:

http://ikegroup.org/SHADOW11308.htm

Sorry for not being specific about what they referred to.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bdrilling5

Jan 4, 2013
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, so I finally finished the first box... First things first

12 Wheat Cents
3 Canadian Cents
11 Full Rolls Copper
47 Additional Copper Cents
40 2009 Cents
AND... this

1994 D - DDO - Date.JPG 1994 D - DDO - Liberty.JPG 1994 D - DDO - Whole.JPG

It looks, to me, like there is some doubling. Its especially evident around "LIBERTY", "1994 D", and "IN GOD..." on the obverse.

1994 D - DDO - Memorial.JPG 1994 D - DDO - One Cent.JPG 1994 D - DDO - Whole Reverse.JPG

Here, on the reverse, it looks most clear around the columns on the memorial. It can also be seen around the "FG", "ONE CENT", and slightly around "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA".

I was hoping for some confirmation & any info anyone may have on value.

Almost forgot, I found this too.

2004 Bubble on Liberty.JPG 2004 Bubble on Liberty2.JPG

It looks like there's a bubble coming out of the "T" in "LIBERTY". After seeing some similar ones here, and in person, I think it may just be the outer layer peeling up? I'm not too sure. Let me know what you think on this one too.

Thanks!

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you have appears to be either die fatigue doubling or plating issues. Not true doubling, no added value.
HH
enamel7

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Though not a true error, I usually save up coins like this and sell them by the roll as error/ oddity coins. You can get $5-$10 a roll for them on eBay.
BTW- Have you guys seen how much some of the penny boxes are selling for? roll pennies box | eBay check it out.

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Though not a true error, I usually save up coins like this and sell them by the roll as error/ oddity coins. You can get $5-$10 a roll for them on eBay.
BTW- Have you guys seen how much some of the penny boxes are selling for? roll pennies box | eBay check it out.

Wow people paying about $40 a pop for regular boxes of pennies. If the bank gives me a box of brand new pennies I usually say I dont want it or trade it with another bank.

OP
OP
B

bdrilling5

Jan 4, 2013
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Other

Define "oddity"... I found probably a rolls worth that were... well... for lack of better wording, extremely worn and unusually smooth. They looked almost like someone dipped them in a mild acid. They varied from older to brand new and I figured they were worthless (but definitely odd). If I come across another, I'll post it.

You all think though, the 1994-d is nothing too special? I was really hoping I'd found something good. :sadsmiley:

x512x

Nov 30, 2012
Ben goin threw cent for a couple of weeks only on weekends and I already have over 50 wheats its fun oldest I found so far is 1914 and 1917

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Define "oddity"... I found probably a rolls worth that were... well... for lack of better wording, extremely worn and unusually smooth. They looked almost like someone dipped them in a mild acid. They varied from older to brand new and I figured they were worthless (but definitely odd). If I come across another, I'll post it.

You all think though, the 1994-d is nothing too special? I was really hoping I'd found something good. :sadsmiley:
Anything from a filled letter, to very slight off centering, to dipped (zinc plate removed) coins, once I had a roll of
'74 bu's, and all 50 had no letter U in the word "Trust" on the obverse.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread