Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
KKC got out to a new site today. Kyle did the research and Zeus secured the permission from the nice lady. The day started off nicely with the group finding 2 Colonial buttons in just a few minutes. After that, it seemed like a big tease. We had visions of Colonial coppers popping out, but it wasn't meant to happen.

I can't complain though. I found this nice Braided Hair large cent. :hello2: It gave off a bad overload signal. Even though it read up at "Dollar," I wasn't too excited about it. I sure am glad that I dug it out. In the same hole, I pulled a square nail out. I wish I would have gotten that on film as well. :dontknow: The copper isn't Colonial, but this is my first Braided Hair in 4 years. My last one was in 2006. I am happy with it. :headbang: We dig more Colonial coppers here in PA than we do Braided Hair cents. :dontknow:

The pioneer settler must have had deep pockets or he was dirt poor. :dontknow: :icon_scratch: Our usual button to copper ratio is 2:1. I think this site was around 15:1. :icon_scratch: Next week we will try to gain permission for another field. :icon_thumleft:

Keep the passion high! :headbang:

Kirk :hello:

Attachments

• DSCF3093.JPG
    DSCF3093.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 785
  • DSCF3091.JPG
    DSCF3091.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 758
  • DSCF3092.JPG
    DSCF3092.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 779
  • DSCF3096.JPG
    DSCF3096.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 769
  • DSCF3099.JPG
    DSCF3099.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 768
Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Kirk, you at least got a copper and those later year Large Cent usually are in pretty good condition, like yours appears to be. Nice button to boot, so you had a decent hunt!

Don

OP
OP
Kirk PA

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Congrats Kirk, you at least got a copper and those later year Large Cent usually are in pretty good condition, like yours appears to be. Nice button to boot, so you had a decent hunt!

Don

It is a welcome addition to my collection. We usually never dig these large cents, so I was happy to see what it was. I think I can see the date of 1856, but I am not 100% sure. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Kirk

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Kirk,
Copper is copper. Can't complain when one of those pops out. I know what you mean about the Braided Hairs, though. I think I've found three or four in the last three years among 80 or so other coppers.
I got a Braided Hair this week that might as well be a washer. Keep the passion high. You will, you must...

Dwayne

OP
OP
Kirk PA

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dwayne sueno said:
Kirk,
Copper is copper. Can't complain when one of those pops out. I know what you mean about the Braided Hairs, though. I think I've found three or four in the last three years among 80 or so other coppers.
I got a Braided Hair this week that might as well be a washer. Keep the passion high. You will, you must...

Dwayne

Thanks, Big D, I appreciate it. We have dug close to 200 coppers in the past 3 years and only about 3 were Braided Hairs. :headbang:

Kirk

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the braided Kirk! That coin has a beautiful patina on it. You gotta love that green color coming out of the ground!

LittleJohn

Apr 7, 2010
South Central, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Etrac,Fisher F75,Tesoro Golden UMax, Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kirk,

I am from South Central PA as well, maybe we can hook up sometime and go hunting. Let me know.

LittleJohn

Shadowmanflash

Jul 4, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150 & 250
I could only dream of finding some of the things you guys on the East side find, my days coming, awesome finds you got there, happy hunting, Ken.

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
I had a great time detecting even if it wasn't the greatest day ever. The copper is in great shape. Except the date that is :icon_scratch: I love that button. We must hit a new site next week. :thumbsup:
Chris

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I just love finding coppers, if I had to go home with just one I would like one as nice as yours!

hold on to the passion til your next hunt, you guys are due to bust out in a big way!

not too big I hope :D we must keep our reputation intact too you know :thumbsup:

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Nice Braided Hair Cent it looks in good shape. Digging any Large Cent is a good day. :icon_thumleft:

Bubba65

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread