✅ SOLVED Brass plated double spout? Can't figure this thing out!

pburger

Oct 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello! Found this today in an antiques shop. Owner didn't know what it is. Appears to be made of brass plated pot metal, zinc, or pewter. Has two tabs on the bottom which allow the pieces to separate. About 2.5 inches tall, 3.5 inches wide. Racking my brains, looked on google, and I can't figure out what this thing is. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Collage_Fotor2.jpg
    Collage_Fotor2.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 177
  • Collage_Fotor.jpg
    Collage_Fotor.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 145

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it only fit in one way or will they both face the same direction? It could be a receiver of some sort?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pburger

Oct 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the curves aren't flat enough to hold a cigarette.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pburger

Oct 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it only fit in one way or will they both face the same direction? It could be a receiver of some sort?

They only fit one way. I was thinking a receiver of some sort as well.

Upvote 0

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some thoughts...

1) Why is this constructed in two parts, instead of one?
2) Are parts missing?
3) Are different types of "inserts" available, perhaps different sizes or for different purposes?
4) Is it assembled as intended in the photos? Can it be assembled differently? (back-to-back, like a "U")?
5) Where might we expect to see wear marks (assuming this is a tool, or guide)?
6) Why is it finished in brass? Corrosion resistance? Marine environment?
7) Why is the mechanical connection a simple twist-lock mechanism (as opposed to a threaded attachment, for example)?
8) It appears that the outer piece has a square(ish) base. Does this fit into something else (not shown)?
9) Assuming material is moved through the piece, what is the direction of travel? Does the material push-in, or pull-out.

The answers to the above might help solve the mystery. (?)
Having thought about them myself, I still have no idea what this thing is! :dontknow:

Upvote 0

vhs07

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
Victoria, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Cortez
Brass plated Die Cast is usually for decoration and not utilitarian, but.....like Tony in SC said, it looks like a guide of sorts

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pburger

Oct 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses I've received so far. I think they're all good ideas. The two pieces fit together as shown; I've tried, and they only fit so they are pointing in opposite directions. I wonder if it was made to separate because its application required it to be taken apart. Or, maybe, the application allowed it to be used as one "spout" or two as needed. My first thought was that it was used as a spout for liquid, but I'm starting to believe, as some have mentioned, that it's a guide of some sort. Because the hole is rectangular, I was wondering if it might be a guide for a large wick. If so, it would have to be a very large oil lamp. Thanks again for all the ideas!!! Perhaps we'll never know...

Upvote 0

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of large. No-one has asked what size it is? That is usually first off and we all have spaced that question :) Never mind it is first off. I am the space cadet. Too big for a wick or thread for sure. I AM STUMPED

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pburger

Oct 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of large. No-one has asked what size it is? That is usually first off and we all have spaced that question :) Never mind it is first off. I am the space cadet. Too big for a wick or thread for sure. I AM STUMPED

Size of hole is 9/16" wide, 1-3/16" long

Upvote 0

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the responses I've received so far. I think they're all good ideas. The two pieces fit together as shown; I've tried, and they only fit so they are pointing in opposite directions. I wonder if it was made to separate because its application required it to be taken apart. Or, maybe, the application allowed it to be used as one "spout" or two as needed. My first thought was that it was used as a spout for liquid, but I'm starting to believe, as some have mentioned, that it's a guide of some sort. Because the hole is rectangular, I was wondering if it might be a guide for a large wick. If so, it would have to be a very large oil lamp. Thanks again for all the ideas!!! Perhaps we'll never know...

It might separate into two parts to facilitate cleaning, or remove (the equivalent of) "paper jams".
Or, it may need to be in two parts in order to place it into service at all. It would depend on how the rest of the apparatus/setup is configured.

Another thought I had (which I'm sure is wrong), but I'll just throw it out there is that this contraption is some sort of banana peeler.
By that, I don't actually mean bananas. I mean, it's some sort of device meant to extract some food commodity from its vine, branch, whatever.

Clearly by now, you have realized I am NOT a farmer! :laughing7:

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like solid brass to me. I don't see any pot metal corrosion leaking through. I assume the two lugs on the bottom pivot to lock the second piece to the first? Will the two pieces nest together also? Like spoons in a drawer?

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Close... but no cigar :P

Would be caught anyway.

Actually... I take this back.
I think Tony is on it.

I was thinking "IN" from opening... but going the "other way" like from squared opening "out"... would work fine and no pinch.

Looked wit different eyes today I guess. heh

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread