✅ SOLVED Brass plated double spout? Can't figure this thing out!

pburger

Oct 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello! Found this today in an antiques shop. Owner didn't know what it is. Appears to be made of brass plated pot metal, zinc, or pewter. Has two tabs on the bottom which allow the pieces to separate. About 2.5 inches tall, 3.5 inches wide. Racking my brains, looked on google, and I can't figure out what this thing is. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Collage_Fotor2.jpg
    Collage_Fotor2.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 177
  • Collage_Fotor.jpg
    Collage_Fotor.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 145

50bmg

Aug 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
every time I look at this thread all I can think of is
its part of something to tap a tree for sap or syrup

Upvote 0

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe an open-boundary ridge horn antenna, or microwave K-coupler (antenna)?
Nah....

MB-7.jpg

Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What puzzles me is why was it made in 2 pieces ? It could easily have been made as one.

(milk bottle concept) ???

Small hole ... large insertion. / \

Not possible as a single piece.

IDK

Upvote 0

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a pair of shoe horns, one left and one right. Very rare to have them both together like that. :laughing7:

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
(milk bottle concept) ???

Small hole ... large insertion. / \

Not possible as a single piece.

IDK

I agree. That's the only reason I can think of why it is made in two pieces. One piece slips into a small opening, followed by the other. But opening in what? The shape leads me to think it was used in something pliable (fabric, rubber, flesh?)... Once in place whatever else needs to happen is done through the hole.

I've looked at everything from peach pitters to artificial insemination devices to surgical retractors to engine oilers. ???:dontknow:

Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's taking us on some interesting and perplexing search paths, that's for sure.
This one needs to be identified ... lol.

elephant_brass_lotus_lamp1A_580x@2x.jpg

images.jpg

Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also toyed with idea of picking things up, ... but it doesn't quite mesh with anything yet.

Imagine a warehouse full of something such as empty wine barrels, 55 gallon drums, or beer kegs.
Slip one spout in the small hole, then the second, and clamp ... now lift with a chain.
Can't think of a practical application on that concept ... but, lifting would be a remote possibility.

The "pliable" idea struck me too, DC.
Can anyone think of a sack idea, such as grain sacks or something, that would have a small cap rather than a wide opening ?

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Gotta love these what is its when the OP sticks with it to the end. :icon_thumright:

I think its functional but for what i have no idea and a quick search reveals some double spouted pitchers. But one end is attached to a handle. Dont know if this helps any. https://www.etsy.com/listing/278155744/vintage-solid-brass-pitcher-vase-claw

i notice a lot of my grandmothers old lamps had heavy brass plated pot metal bases but you dont see that much anymore.

Attachments

• pitcher.jpg
    pitcher.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 44
  • spout 4.jpg
    spout 4.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 49
  • pitcher 3.jpg
    pitcher 3.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 51
  • pitcher 2.jpg
    pitcher 2.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
My first reaction was something for milk, oil or gas but Im just throwing wild guesses out there. I keep thinking its use is for fluids. Maybe marine use. Could it be a radiator cap? Those tabs on the bottom may latch on to something when turned.

EDIT I just read back twist lock was already mentioned

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The pieces appear to be soldered, with the whole bottom of one piece completely coated. I believe they're solid brass since pot metal doesn't lend itself to soldering for some reason.

Yes I think only the base is pot metal, pewter, solder, tin or lead coated

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do the two "spoons" nest together if they are both placed to curve in the same direction?

Upvote 0

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been checking this thread for days. It keep reminding me of spouts on antique cream separators but they usually pointed about 60 to 90 degrees away from ea. other, not 180.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pburger

Oct 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to thank everyone for all of the time taken to research and respond!

I noticed something that may help, and hopefully not confuse. There seems to be wear underneath the spouts where it seems, to me, that brass has worn away to a gray metal beneath. Something has worn it away, and I wonder if it could be fingers. I'm wondering if the spouts were pulled on with one hand. If the device was pulled with both hands, if pulled at all, I would think there would be wear to the inside of the spouts as well (I acted out pulling with both hands, and my thumbs wanted to go inside of the spouts instinctively). Here's some photos...

004_Fotor.jpg 005_Fotor.jpg 007_Fotor.jpg 009_Fotor.jpg

Upvote 0

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I thought perchance it was a guide or something for making or splicing rope or yarn together. But I'm keeping up with this too...d2

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pburger

Oct 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Adding some images of the inside of the spouts. Maybe the wear marks can shed some light...

Inside the spout that fits into the one with the locking tabs...

016_Fotor.jpg 014_Fotor_Fotor.jpg

Inside the spout that is the "receiver" of the other spout...

020_Fotor.jpg 018.JPG

Upvote 0

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the further info and pics. As with others here, I too have spent some time searching for an answer to this mystery. Your info regarding the wear on what might have seemed the underneath of a 'spout', reinforces one of my thoughts - that it is more likely an insert or speculum type tool; as DCMatt indicated previously.

It's as if it was made to be inserted, one piece at a time, into a small opening in order to open up whatever it is inserted into. And equally, can be dismantled and removed, piece by piece, once it's served its purpose.
Just my thoughts - and thanks for presenting a cool mystery item :headbang:

Upvote 0

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was suggested by an old-timer that it may be the "central section" of an early fare box probably from a trolley or streetcar. By "central section," I assume he was referring to the center tube or trough in which coins and tokens were dropped?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread