Brass tumbler for rock polishing

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
I've been thinking of getting into rock tumbling. I have read bad reviews for those toy store rock tumblers. I could get a decent sized high quality brass tumbler for half the price of a rock tumbler. Would a brass tumbler work to tumble rocks? What would I need for tumbling material? I know those toy store rock tumblers use some sort of powder mixed in water. I don't think a brass tumbler is gonna work very well if its full of water. Is there a dry material that will work? Any hints or tips would be great because this is virgin territory for me. Thanks.

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are just getting started, and don't know if you'd like it, you could use a 40% off coupon at Michaels for a beginning tumbler, it comes with grit. Just a thought.
Tigger

Upvote 0

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Harbor Freight has a knock off of Lortone's tumbler. I think they have both a 1 tub and a 2 tub model. The biggest fault that I know of is that the belt is short lived. You can replace it with a Lortone or one from a vaccum repair store. The motor should last a year at least and then the tubs would be usable on a Lortone if you decide to upgrade. Yes they take a silicon carbide slurry to polish and you will need to change it in about 1 week. Start with 60 grit moving up to 220, prepolish, then polish. I usually toss in a 500 grit as well. Takes about a month to month and a half per batch.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread