Brass tumbler for rock polishing

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
I've been thinking of getting into rock tumbling. I have read bad reviews for those toy store rock tumblers. I could get a decent sized high quality brass tumbler for half the price of a rock tumbler. Would a brass tumbler work to tumble rocks? What would I need for tumbling material? I know those toy store rock tumblers use some sort of powder mixed in water. I don't think a brass tumbler is gonna work very well if its full of water. Is there a dry material that will work? Any hints or tips would be great because this is virgin territory for me. Thanks.

If you are just getting started, and don't know if you'd like it, you could use a 40% off coupon at Michaels for a beginning tumbler, it comes with grit. Just a thought.
Tigger

Upvote 0
Harbor Freight has a knock off of Lortone's tumbler. I think they have both a 1 tub and a 2 tub model. The biggest fault that I know of is that the belt is short lived. You can replace it with a Lortone or one from a vaccum repair store. The motor should last a year at least and then the tubs would be usable on a Lortone if you decide to upgrade. Yes they take a silicon carbide slurry to polish and you will need to change it in about 1 week. Start with 60 grit moving up to 220, prepolish, then polish. I usually toss in a 500 grit as well. Takes about a month to month and a half per batch.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back