Brinks Home Security lock box (with pics!)

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody, I havent posted anything on here in a long time, but now I have somethin to be happy about. This happened the other day and it wasnt with my metal detector. The story goes as this...
The neighbors of these people i know own storage garages and when the customers dont pay their bills, the owners have to clear out the storage garage and pretty much throw the peoples stuff out unless they can come get it. Well this stuff was sitting out there for quite some time, so just the other day the owners told my friends that we could take whatever we want from the pile. It wasnt like a run right over there type thing, I did feel sorry for the people who owned the stuff, but it was about to be trash. I had no clue what to expect to find, and thinkin there would be coins was far from my mind. So I went over and started to look at some stuff. Well there was this Brinks Home security lock box in a pile of stuff, so i took it ,because of course, lock boxes have important stuff in them. Well i got excited and just ripped open the lock box with my hands! What i found inside was like heaven to me. First, there was a bag of foreign coins and paper money, then under that i saw another bag with coin cases in them, so I knew there was something good. What I ended up finding were 53 wheat pennies, 3 buffalo nickels dated 1935, 1936, and unknown, 3 older jefferson nickels, one being a war nickel...a 1944 mercury dime, a 1943 steel penny, and two Indian head pennies dated 1881 and 1891. Plus just a couple other coins. I was so umped and still am, lol. But I have come to the conclusion that if those people do ask about the coins, I will gladly give therm back. Sorry I dont have pictures, I will ASAP

Attachments

• 6 coins.jpg
    6 coins.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,825
  • nickspenns.jpg
    nickspenns.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 1,779
  • two indians.jpg
    two indians.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,777
  • foreign.jpg
    foreign.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 1,843
Upvote 0

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Brinks Home Security lock box

cool find

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Hey.....better than divorce papers and death certificates any day! ;D

HH,
Moon

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wow great score whenever u get old coins for free!

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yea, it was very surprising...I really do gotta get out with the detector though

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

Good to see you on the boards again, Bobby! :thumbsup: :coffee2:

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks PBK, its nice to post again

S

stefen

There are numerous scenarios to this, each of which may have a right or wrong conclusion...

Lets call it a draw and move on :icon_scratch:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rotfl :D ;D

Leave him alone, he found a box of coins. :dontknow: People had every chance to get or claim the items I'm sure. You snooze you lose, its life win some lose some, find some. Fair is fair if people try and claim it he said he will give it back. :headbang: If they care about the collection they will claim them if they don't then they abandoned them. :icon_scratch:

Sounds like a great collection congratulations. :notworthy: :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH!! ;D :D

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Point well taken. And no, I dont think all contrary views are rude, its just the way some people use those views and then say they dont mean to do it because obviously they do. Im not saying thats what you did, but its what I got out of it and if you took offence, im sorry.....Your story is compelling and it is nice to see someone doing what you do. I have total respect for it.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Digginman, thanks! Nice hearin from you, its been to long

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does anyone know what years are silver for foreign coins?....the ones in the pics range from the 1940's to 60's

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Sounds like someone didn't know what they had in storage. You made a great gesture to hand it back over, which is very noble. However, if they don't claim it, it's your's and through nobody's fault. I once loaned a bed (my childhood twin bed) to a co-worker to put in a rental house for seasonal workers of our company. After the season workers went home, the furnishings were returned to a storage unit. Found out a year later we hadn't paid the rent on the storage unit because they sent the rental bill to a BAD address, but in the end, it was all gone, sold to the highest bidder. I have no hard feelings, still have my job, am friends with the (stupid) co-worker who didn't update the address, but that's that. Some things are out of our control. You did your best. You stand tall in my book!

I have some coins and odd-ball stuff, but if I die and one of my children decides to put it in storage and then let it go free, I have no problem with that. If they thought "that much" of it, it should have been home with them. I'd have no problem with a stranger who loves coins to gain it.

Noodle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread