Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

BuckleDad was in town this weekend, so I took advantage of being able to dig with him. :headbang: Here's the video:

We decided to meet up with Shangalang and hit a spot that we had found two years ago when scouting in South Louisiana. We had dug a couple of flat buttons, some musket balls, scrap iron, and very little else. We had hunted the site several times (Shang and I), as well as a four-person hunt with Quindy and Dman before the rows were plowed up. I had always said "I bet there's a coin or a good button to be dug there." I'm sure Shangalangalang probably got upset with me saying that so much, but today was the day that it finally proved true! :hello2:

So BuckleDad and I and Shang got out there at dawn to do some digging. We were hitting the lead, little brass bits, and one or two flat buttons. Really sparse finds. But we stuck with it, and I kept on with the grid. Then I got a clay pipe stem. Then another. Then I got a nice consistent signal and out flopped a silver coin!

HPIM4869.JPG

I was convinced it was early, judging from the era of the site (1790-1840). Knowing that Spanish Silver circulated in South Louisiana until the opening of the Orleans mint, and knowing that very little of the earlier Capped coins made their way down from Philadelphia here until well after the Civil War, I strongly felt that this coin had to be an early Seated Dime. It was actually an 1838-O "No Stars" Dime, which would've been in AU condition if not for the nail hole. :unhappysmiley:

HPIM4874.JPG HPIM4875.JPG

I kept on, and when I got to the turn row, a scalloped edge token appeared in the dirt. I knew it had to be a plantation token. :) This one is actually unlisted 8-) I'm only going to show the reverse side of the token to protect the name of the site. But I have wanted a token like this for some time, and wondered if they actually existed or not. Turns out, they do. :)

HPIM4889.JPG

I was hoping BuckleDad or Shang could pick up something special at this point. Dad did get a couple handmade brass nails which are a neat find, and old (ship building, etc.). I did get a flat button that I thought was a small cent at first. Sticking out of the dirt.

183_0897.JPG

Then right as we broke for lunch, I was finishing up a row, and close to just walking to the end without being thorough, I was so hungry... I got a nice signal and saw what looked like a button in the dirt. Bending over, it was a half real!!! Carolus IIII :headbang: Tnet boys and girls, I was so excited that I forgot get a photo of the coin in the dirt! :D

Then we took a break, and back to work at a newer site that we are overdue for a great find from (1830-1860). This site is polluted with can slaw, wheat pennies, and other newer items. Although Shangalang was stoked to find an aluminum play coin from 1949, which was a neat find. BuckleDad and I got back in the field and started digging signals. A little later, Dad came over to me with a nice, large, complete thimble that he had dug. Then a little later he found a large civilian button with a shank and no plow damage. He was beaming, and I was happy for him. Buttons like that in nice condition are hard to find down here!

HPIM4880.JPG

Here's a shot of Shangalang digging, and the backswamp in the distance.

HPIM4877.JPG

On the next day I went to antique and junk stores with Dad. I saw a thin, really tarnished pocket knife for 10 bucks. When I looked closer, I saw the mark of JA Henckels and in spite of the tarnish, I knew it had to be silver. I talked 'em down to $9. ;)

When I got home, I cleaned the tarnish off the pocketknife and it was indeed a sterling silver casing. Score. :headbang: Dad didn't see me purchase it, so I gave it to him as a Christmas gift. He as happy--but even more happy when I told him that I paid $9 for it. :laughing7:

HPIM4896.JPG HPIM4897.JPG

Anyhow, here are BuckleDad and my finds. The two piece civilian "flower" button is backmarked "SCOVILLS & Co SUPERFINE" which is 1840s or so, with the rmdc. The half real is dateless, but I think I can see the top of the last digit as a "2" or perhaps an "8" 1798? 1802? I'd love to know what others see. This is Spanish/Mexican/Peruvian silver #9 for the year for us. Having a slower year in 2014, compared to 19 Spanish dug in 2012 and 27 Spanish dug in 2013, but we've dug some nice finds in 2014 so I'm very pleased so far.

HPIM4881.JPG HPIM4884.JPG HPIM4885.JPG

Shame the Seated Dime was holed. Would've been a really nice one for detail. I have dug a couple of these 1838 no stars ones, and I have always thought that they were beautiful and iconic coins. My cleaning method removed most of the fire burned black on the face of the coin seen in the photos from the field.

HPIM4887.JPG HPIM4886.JPG HPIM4895.JPG

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting from BuckleDad and the CaneField Bandits. :)

Cane Bandits.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 19

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
:notworthy: What a fine hunt and super silver you guys dug! :notworthy: And love the ornate silver pocketknife! :notworthy: Congrats! Andi

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great that you were able to get out with your dad, the memories are far greater than the finds, and your finds were fantastic!, some of my most memorable hunts were when my 14 yr old has been out w me

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hunting with family is some of the best time spent together. Congrats on the Spanish and the Seated silver that have added to yearly totals as well as the other finds.
What's the main reason you figure for the lower silver count this season, time detecting, sites, or just luck?

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Reallly nice finds Will and that plantation token makes a Great find of the Day, but the time spent with your Dad makes it a find you will never forget. Thanks for sharing

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt, great finds. Ha my favorite had to be the purchase of that pocket knife. You should be ashamed of yourself, you stole it, lol!

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Buck
"your a chip off the old block"
Happy you and your dad had such a good time.
There is nothing like Blood on Blood (Family)
icon_thumleft.gif

Gary

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buck thanks for sharing the hunt and the time with you Pops. Bummer about the big nasty hole in your dime but the Spanish makes up for it. That plantation token is an awesome find and I'm guessing fairly scarce. Hope to see more of your hunts while I'm hibernating up here in the Frozen NE

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're very blessed that you still have your daddy and that he's able to get out and hunt with you. Also, some great finds there to boot!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It doesn't get much better than that BB!!! Buckledad looks happy. you guys had a good hunt after all. Too bad Molly couldn't go & show all 3 of you up with her new new detector. Great post & video. If anyone hasn't walked those cane rows, they don't know how fatiguing it is. WTG, Q.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds BB,
I got to say you are so lucky to be able to hunt with your dad (tear) I've never been so lucky as that. Seems all I ever got to do was go to the woods for wood or haul hay, seems there was never enough time for "that other stuff"

The finds are imaterial, the memories are ever lasting.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Extremely nice finds, and spending time with dad makes it all the better. GL&HH.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WTG Buckleboy and BuckleDad! Love that plantation token.:thumbsup:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Another fine day in the field for you guys. I know you're happy with the spanish silver, but you don't see those early seateds very often, especially without the stars. Nice going!

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Buck!! CONGRATS on your Finds!! Nice Job!! Enjoy the moments with your Dad, wish mine was still around!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, great digs gentlemen! How special to hunt with your dad. :icon_thumleft: Love the old silver, plantation token, and buttons. Nice save on the pocket knife. Congrats!

HH

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those canefields are always good for a couple silvers, this was no exception. Is BuckleDad considered a member of the CaneField Bandits?

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt BB! In every post you show finest field hunting, like your writeup a lot! :occasion14:

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly a productive day out there…It's crazy how many silver you guys pulled out in 2012 and 2013…I would consider 9 in one year a great year…hope it picks up for you..feel for you…lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread