Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

BuckleDad was in town this weekend, so I took advantage of being able to dig with him. :headbang: Here's the video:

We decided to meet up with Shangalang and hit a spot that we had found two years ago when scouting in South Louisiana. We had dug a couple of flat buttons, some musket balls, scrap iron, and very little else. We had hunted the site several times (Shang and I), as well as a four-person hunt with Quindy and Dman before the rows were plowed up. I had always said "I bet there's a coin or a good button to be dug there." I'm sure Shangalangalang probably got upset with me saying that so much, but today was the day that it finally proved true! :hello2:

So BuckleDad and I and Shang got out there at dawn to do some digging. We were hitting the lead, little brass bits, and one or two flat buttons. Really sparse finds. But we stuck with it, and I kept on with the grid. Then I got a clay pipe stem. Then another. Then I got a nice consistent signal and out flopped a silver coin!

HPIM4869.JPG

I was convinced it was early, judging from the era of the site (1790-1840). Knowing that Spanish Silver circulated in South Louisiana until the opening of the Orleans mint, and knowing that very little of the earlier Capped coins made their way down from Philadelphia here until well after the Civil War, I strongly felt that this coin had to be an early Seated Dime. It was actually an 1838-O "No Stars" Dime, which would've been in AU condition if not for the nail hole. :unhappysmiley:

HPIM4874.JPG HPIM4875.JPG

I kept on, and when I got to the turn row, a scalloped edge token appeared in the dirt. I knew it had to be a plantation token. :) This one is actually unlisted 8-) I'm only going to show the reverse side of the token to protect the name of the site. But I have wanted a token like this for some time, and wondered if they actually existed or not. Turns out, they do. :)

HPIM4889.JPG

I was hoping BuckleDad or Shang could pick up something special at this point. Dad did get a couple handmade brass nails which are a neat find, and old (ship building, etc.). I did get a flat button that I thought was a small cent at first. Sticking out of the dirt.

183_0897.JPG

Then right as we broke for lunch, I was finishing up a row, and close to just walking to the end without being thorough, I was so hungry... I got a nice signal and saw what looked like a button in the dirt. Bending over, it was a half real!!! Carolus IIII :headbang: Tnet boys and girls, I was so excited that I forgot get a photo of the coin in the dirt! :D

Then we took a break, and back to work at a newer site that we are overdue for a great find from (1830-1860). This site is polluted with can slaw, wheat pennies, and other newer items. Although Shangalang was stoked to find an aluminum play coin from 1949, which was a neat find. BuckleDad and I got back in the field and started digging signals. A little later, Dad came over to me with a nice, large, complete thimble that he had dug. Then a little later he found a large civilian button with a shank and no plow damage. He was beaming, and I was happy for him. Buttons like that in nice condition are hard to find down here!

HPIM4880.JPG

Here's a shot of Shangalang digging, and the backswamp in the distance.

HPIM4877.JPG

On the next day I went to antique and junk stores with Dad. I saw a thin, really tarnished pocket knife for 10 bucks. When I looked closer, I saw the mark of JA Henckels and in spite of the tarnish, I knew it had to be silver. I talked 'em down to $9. ;)

When I got home, I cleaned the tarnish off the pocketknife and it was indeed a sterling silver casing. Score. :headbang: Dad didn't see me purchase it, so I gave it to him as a Christmas gift. He as happy--but even more happy when I told him that I paid $9 for it. :laughing7:

HPIM4896.JPG HPIM4897.JPG

Anyhow, here are BuckleDad and my finds. The two piece civilian "flower" button is backmarked "SCOVILLS & Co SUPERFINE" which is 1840s or so, with the rmdc. The half real is dateless, but I think I can see the top of the last digit as a "2" or perhaps an "8" 1798? 1802? I'd love to know what others see. This is Spanish/Mexican/Peruvian silver #9 for the year for us. Having a slower year in 2014, compared to 19 Spanish dug in 2012 and 27 Spanish dug in 2013, but we've dug some nice finds in 2014 so I'm very pleased so far.

HPIM4881.JPG HPIM4884.JPG HPIM4885.JPG

Shame the Seated Dime was holed. Would've been a really nice one for detail. I have dug a couple of these 1838 no stars ones, and I have always thought that they were beautiful and iconic coins. My cleaning method removed most of the fire burned black on the face of the coin seen in the photos from the field.

HPIM4887.JPG HPIM4886.JPG HPIM4895.JPG

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting from BuckleDad and the CaneField Bandits. :)

Cane Bandits.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 19
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds man. The seated does have some great detail. The other finds are top notch as well, especially the Spanish silver. What method did you use to remove the black?

Here is the method. I will NEVER know why folks polish their coins with an abrasive like moist baking soda or silver polish. :(

This method works very well without pitting the coins or giving them an unnaturally shiny finish. The reason it works is that it doesn't remove silver from the coins like polishing or abrasion does. It actually turns the tarnish BACK INTO SILVER! This method works for all blackened silver, including saltwater tarnished silver:

Get a small glass bowl and line it with aluminum foil (shiny side turned up).
Boil or microwave some water till boiling
Put a couple tablespoons of baking soda in the bottom and drop the coin(s) onto the pile of baking soda
Add the boiling water
After 4-5 mins, remove the silver coin (it is hot, be careful!)
Rinse under running water and gently rub the coin between your fingers under the running water (this is no different than normal circulation wear)

Here is the science behind it:

Remove Tarnish from Silver

Last edited:
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt ! Getting out with your Father is excellent ! The 1838-0 is a nice date/mint in XF/AU , but I think the hole is
a bit charming too - you get the sense of a live human from back then really handling that piece with intention .

I like it. Someone 170 years ago took that coin and very carefully punched the hole. It's certainly growing on me. :)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like making great memories & finds with those you love! Congrats on some more very impressive finds!!

IM

Thanks friend, great to hear from you, and very well said. Happy Hunting,

Buck

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The finds are great- but your chance to hunt with your Dad is outstanding. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great story and glad to hear you got to spend some quality time hunting with your dad. The finds are fantastic and thanks for the in situ photos, those are always a plus. Wishing you continued success for next year.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I dont post much anymore but then again I dont dig anything worth posting much anymore lol It was great to see your dad again and a fun time was had digging and watching you dig silver coins. Here are the best of my junk. A musket ball, brass nail, a brass ring that may have been a wedding band, a sword hanger?? and a 1949 Uncle Sam Play Money aluminum coin that fooled me because it was half real size. Cheers!

Attachments

• metal1.jpg
    metal1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 64

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, I like the knife.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for your kind replies. I just made a post in the Cleaning and Preservation section of the forum about my cleaning method for blackened silver coins. Here's the link:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...clean-blackened-silver-coins.html#post4290640

P.S.--I also straighten plow-bent silver coins with leather (to protect from scratching) and a $5 C-clamp from Harbor Freight. Works like a charm. No annealing/heat blow torches necessary.

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks to all for your kind replies. I just made a post in the Cleaning and Preservation section of the forum about my cleaning method for blackened silver coins. Here's the link:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...clean-blackened-silver-coins.html#post4290640

P.S.--I also straighten plow-bent silver coins with leather (to protect from scratching) and a $5 C-clamp from Harbor Freight. Works like a charm. No annealing/heat blow torches necessary.

I use a vise and a hammer...occasionally use an anvil with a sledge hammer.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a vise and a hammer...occasionally use an anvil with a sledge hammer.

Haha, Do you also use .50 cal incendiary rounds to deer hunt?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread