Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Saturday and Sunday were both all-day-detectin days for me. The first day I went with Rodeo Recon, Foxhound, and shrc_chick86 to a colonial site that has produced over a hundred flat buttons, a Georgie Copper, and Silver Reales in the past. While we weren't lucky enough to nab a coin, I found some buttons and musketballs, a toe tap, and a brass thimble. We probably walked 12 miles that day. Here's a shot of Foxhound (left), shrc_chick86 (center) and yours truly (right) at the colonial site. Blaze orange kept us visible ::)

Saturday.jpg

When I finally got done and managed to get my finds cleaned Saturday evening, I hit the sack for a few hours sleep and then an early departure with Kindafoundabuckle and Rodeo for a little old-style house site huntin'. This was an important hunt, since it was the first time my two best buddies and I were able to hunt together with our busy schedules. (Guys, you should just retire so you have time to detect! ;D) We headed out to a house site in the corner of a field owned by a wonderful 90-year-old lady. Folks, this woman is a ray of sunshine every time I talk with her. Her father bought the farm 75 years ago, and when they bought it, the existing house on the property was already 150 years old. So...that gives you an idea of the age of the place. 225 years old. We figured that the second house (which was only a foundation in the 30's but since vanished) would be at least 170 years old.

road.jpg

We wandered into the field, and it was a breeze to find the site. There were faint depressions in the soybean field where the well and foundation used to be...and there was iron....LOTS OF IT. So we three started our usual process of diggin out the big iron so that we could listen "deeper" and "smaller" for targets. After we had pounded the site a bit--and removed many, many pounds of iron--we started getting good targets.

I dug a few interesting pieces of iron--a piano pedal, an iron buckle, and an axe head.

axehead.jpg

Rodeo found a large brass brooch or ladies' buckle that was very intricate. It appears to have had vines and flowers on the face of it before getting hit by the plow.

buckle.jpg

I got a piece of carved lead and a fired Enfield bullet. Then Rodes shouted "COIN" and our ears pricked up. The coin turned out to be an 1895 Indian Head--Rodeo's first IH and oldest coin so far. Congrats buddy! For a guy who is finding lots of great 140-year old lead and buttons, I'm sure that won't be your oldest coin for long.

IH.jpg

We got more miscellaneous brass relics, including spigots, little brass rivets, small buckles, and almost a whole pocket watch piece by piece.

pocket watch pieces.jpg

I was occasionally stopping to pick up a nice bit of pottery or china. Rodeo dug an intact bottle out of that field as well. Kindafoundabuckle went on an exploratory jaunt across the field to see what he could nab after we found the house site (it is a Civil War area), but he unfortunately came back with little to show for it.

Here is a photo of me--bundled up (it rained on us part of the time that day as well). Got four layers on--I'm good to go ;D

Buckles.jpg

And KFB and I in the field:

KFB and Buckles.jpg

Rodeo dug one of the most interesting finds of the day--a small gold item about two and a half inches long. It had a hole in one end--possibly for suspending from a chain. If there are any ideas on this item, I'd love to hear them. I have a few other whatzits I'll post in the "What is it" board later on...

gold.jpg

gold1.jpg

Here are the keepers from Sunday's hunt:

good bits.jpg

And all of the finds, including a TON of junk iron:

iron patch.jpg

Special thanks to Rodeo Recon for the impressive photos of these hunts. I don't know how you manage to take photos as well as find all the goodies. :D Thanks a bunch to all of the relic crew from this weekend--I had a blast! I'm sure we'll all be hunting again soon.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those site pictures are great BB. It always makes me feel like I was there participating when someone posts some good site pics. I'm sure those sites are hiding a few more goodies. Good luck next time out.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great photos buckleboy. I sure miss Kentucky looking at those. The six-sided brass thing to the right of the buckle looks like the handle to an old "Gem junior" razor. Here's one I have-

gem razor.jpg

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Two all-dayer's BB....doesn't get much better than that.Do you have any old CW era map's of this place?Cool story and pic's....Congrat's on all the find's!!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggummup--thank you for the ID on the razor handle. I have another one in a junk box and had no idea what they were until this hunt.

Civilman--the earliest map that shows house sites in this area is from the late 1800's. I wish I had an earlier one, but it doesn't exist. Even those Victorian house site maps are pretty impressive. Someone rode on horseback from house to house down every road in an area and talked with the owners and put their name on the map. So what this means is that it's always a mixed bag with house sites there. Sometimes we get one that was built in the 1880's and occupied until the 1940's...sometimes we get one that was built in the 1820's. The only constant is that they were all in existence during the year the map was drawn up.

There is no way to tell how old each house site will be until we find the site and start digging holes in the ground--which is actually a little exciting. Sometimes we only find cheaply made china or earthenware pottery and lots of iron...so we conclude that the inhabitants were on the poor side. We always get at least one old coin from each site though...sometimes more. In this case, we knew the folks that lived in this house were well off--nice china and pottery, musical instrument pieces (a piano pedal and harmonica reeds), a gold item, jewelry items, and silver plated dinnerware fragments. I wouldn't mind hitting this site again--there should be another coin out there somewhere.

Regards,

Buckleboy

DiggerBug

Oct 28, 2006
Bama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice array of finds there! WTG

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Will,

I have the SAME EXACT axe head that I found last year IN the WALL of a Confederate EARTHWORK!! That is a great find!! They really make beautiful displays.. I will post a pic of mine that is cleaned. In addition, I went back to that line this past Saturday and found another early axe head. Check it out. ;) ;)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
Hey Will,

I have the SAME EXACT axe head that I found last year IN the WALL of a Confederate EARTHWORK!! That is a great find!! They really make beautiful displays.. I will post a pic of mine that is cleaned. In addition, I went back to that line this past Saturday and found another early axe head. Check it out. ;) ;)

Please feel free to post that axe head on this thread. I'd love to see it.

-Buckleboy

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
Great Hunt BB!!! ;D Isn't it amazing how much iron is in the fields...makes my jaw drop sometimes... ;)

Thanks for the ID on the razor handle...got one that can come out of the 'what's it' collection! :)

HH, Hank 8)

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB,
Great post! Thanks for sharing all those pictures. Felt like we were there with you guys. Looks like a blast.
Congrats on all the digs, and CONGRATS to Rodeo on the IH.
I did want to ask you though about this piece you posted. Are you sure this isn't something that Nick P's wife deep fried, with cheese on top? ;D
Great job,
MM

Attachments

• Deep fried with cheese.jpg
    Deep fried with cheese.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 485

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man there isn't anything better than hunting an open field. I love relic hunting. Digging every signal and always being surprised at what you find.

Great, Great pictures and Post Thanks for all of it.

HH, Ringfinder

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ringfinder said:
Man there isn't anything better than hunting an open field. I love relic hunting. Digging every signal and always being surprised at what you find.

Great, Great pictures and Post Thanks for all of it.

HH, Ringfinder
Nice...
That gold thing is kinda cool.
Nice finds.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:D @ MM!

Beautiful site pics,BB! Thanks for posting them. Great finds too, ya'll!

Nana :)

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds and excellent post Buckleboy

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Beautiful pictures and post Bucky! Its like being right out there with you guys. Love the gold...I wonder if it isnt a type of Key fob.....

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BB,
It was a pleasure to hunt with you and Rodeo Recon on Saturday. We may not have found the BIG treasure site that I know is out there, but we still had a lot of fun. Thanks again for a great hunt and maybe next time we can go to the 1850s mansion or one of these other sites. Those are some great finds BTW. Congrats on Rodeo for the gold and IH. Take care and HH!

Fox

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will,

Here is a picture of what your axeblade will look like once cleaned. This is the one that I dug in the side of that Confederate Earthwork last spring. Here also, below it, is the one that I dug Saturday.

Attachments

• 101_1251.JPG
    101_1251.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 393

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread