Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Saturday and Sunday were both all-day-detectin days for me. The first day I went with Rodeo Recon, Foxhound, and shrc_chick86 to a colonial site that has produced over a hundred flat buttons, a Georgie Copper, and Silver Reales in the past. While we weren't lucky enough to nab a coin, I found some buttons and musketballs, a toe tap, and a brass thimble. We probably walked 12 miles that day. Here's a shot of Foxhound (left), shrc_chick86 (center) and yours truly (right) at the colonial site. Blaze orange kept us visible ::)

Saturday.jpg

When I finally got done and managed to get my finds cleaned Saturday evening, I hit the sack for a few hours sleep and then an early departure with Kindafoundabuckle and Rodeo for a little old-style house site huntin'. This was an important hunt, since it was the first time my two best buddies and I were able to hunt together with our busy schedules. (Guys, you should just retire so you have time to detect! ;D) We headed out to a house site in the corner of a field owned by a wonderful 90-year-old lady. Folks, this woman is a ray of sunshine every time I talk with her. Her father bought the farm 75 years ago, and when they bought it, the existing house on the property was already 150 years old. So...that gives you an idea of the age of the place. 225 years old. We figured that the second house (which was only a foundation in the 30's but since vanished) would be at least 170 years old.

road.jpg

We wandered into the field, and it was a breeze to find the site. There were faint depressions in the soybean field where the well and foundation used to be...and there was iron....LOTS OF IT. So we three started our usual process of diggin out the big iron so that we could listen "deeper" and "smaller" for targets. After we had pounded the site a bit--and removed many, many pounds of iron--we started getting good targets.

I dug a few interesting pieces of iron--a piano pedal, an iron buckle, and an axe head.

axehead.jpg

Rodeo found a large brass brooch or ladies' buckle that was very intricate. It appears to have had vines and flowers on the face of it before getting hit by the plow.

buckle.jpg

I got a piece of carved lead and a fired Enfield bullet. Then Rodes shouted "COIN" and our ears pricked up. The coin turned out to be an 1895 Indian Head--Rodeo's first IH and oldest coin so far. Congrats buddy! For a guy who is finding lots of great 140-year old lead and buttons, I'm sure that won't be your oldest coin for long.

IH.jpg

We got more miscellaneous brass relics, including spigots, little brass rivets, small buckles, and almost a whole pocket watch piece by piece.

pocket watch pieces.jpg

I was occasionally stopping to pick up a nice bit of pottery or china. Rodeo dug an intact bottle out of that field as well. Kindafoundabuckle went on an exploratory jaunt across the field to see what he could nab after we found the house site (it is a Civil War area), but he unfortunately came back with little to show for it.

Here is a photo of me--bundled up (it rained on us part of the time that day as well). Got four layers on--I'm good to go ;D

Buckles.jpg

And KFB and I in the field:

KFB and Buckles.jpg

Rodeo dug one of the most interesting finds of the day--a small gold item about two and a half inches long. It had a hole in one end--possibly for suspending from a chain. If there are any ideas on this item, I'd love to hear them. I have a few other whatzits I'll post in the "What is it" board later on...

gold.jpg

gold1.jpg

Here are the keepers from Sunday's hunt:

good bits.jpg

And all of the finds, including a TON of junk iron:

iron patch.jpg

Special thanks to Rodeo Recon for the impressive photos of these hunts. I don't know how you manage to take photos as well as find all the goodies. :D Thanks a bunch to all of the relic crew from this weekend--I had a blast! I'm sure we'll all be hunting again soon.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fellow Tnet members that was a blast of a hunt even though I didnt find much. Im trading my XLT to an Ace 250. Rodeo rocks with that machine! He has a big future in detecting and many more great finds ahead of him! Lets do it again soon guys! YEAH!

KFB

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
Will,

Here is a picture of what your axeblade will look like once cleaned. This is the one that I dug in the side of that Confederate Earthwork last spring. Here also, below it, is the one that I dug Saturday.

Josh,
Those ax heads are awesome!!! I love that top one. Great job on the clean-up process. Those will be great display pieces now.
-Doug-

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Buckleboy...I love the photos...just like going on a quick hunt via the internet !
That axehead is SAAWEET! and I'm dyin to know what the gold piece is from !

Great Post !!

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
White's: XLT, MXT, Tesoro: Sand Shark, Tiger Shark. Fisher: 1266X. Minelab: Musketeer.
Great post and photos BB. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. It is always a pleasure to read your post. You are living the dream. HH.. Highwater

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imafishingnutt, Nana, Merf, Sentinel, and many others--thank you all for your kind comments.

I forgot to post Kindafoundabuckle's coin find from the day. He unearthed a large disc not too far from the house site and called to us that he'd found a coin. When I saw the size of it, I was thinkin HALF CENT! Then I looked a little closer and it turned out to be a new clad quarter :P

Next time, KFB. There's Large Copper out there waitin for ya.

-Buckleboy

Rebel Man

Jan 26, 2007
Fredericksburg Va
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a Quicksilver & Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buckleboy,
The gold object is a cap that belongs as a cover for a pocket knife/watch fob. The hole is where the ring went through that was attached to the chain.
Rebel Man
Oh I had a pocket knife similar to the design you found.

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Imafishingnutt, Nana, Merf, Sentinel, and many others--thank you all for your kind comments.

I forgot to post Kindafoundabuckle's coin find from the day. He unearthed a large disc not too far from the house site and called to us that he'd found a coin. When I saw the size of it, I was thinkin HALF CENT! Then I looked a little closer and it turned out to be a new clad quarter :P

-Buckleboy

Hey seeing thay coin come out of the ground got my heart pumping! I was thinking it must be something old on a site like this. Well maybe next time and I hope that time is soon!

For all you members who read and enjoy Buckles post you should hunt with him! Such a pleasure and always an adventure if we are in the field or getting kicked out of Lees Chicken on the way home. We never hunt and not make at least one good memory. Heres to many more to come. YEAH!

KFB

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kindafoundabuckle said:
BuckleBoy said:

-Buckleboy

Hey seeing thay coin come out of the ground got my heart pumping! I was thinking it must be something old on a site like this. Well maybe next time and I hope that time is soon!

For all you members who read and enjoy Buckles post you should hunt with him! Such a pleasure and always an adventure if we are in the field or getting kicked out of Lees Chicken on the way home. We never hunt and not make at least one good memory. Heres to many more to come. YEAH!

KFB

YEAH! I was pretty scared in that Lee's Chicken that day. The food sucked, and I was feelin kinda sick...and that manager came at me tryin to chase me down--I thought he was gonna maul me with his big fat bear-paw-like greasy hands!!! Thank God we hightailed it out of there and made it to the safe haven of the car wash next door where we could watch bikini clad bleach blonde trailer trash hotties people wash their cars! ;)

-Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread