Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I would post up some more info on the house / property where I found that piece of Spanish silver 8 reale about a week ago. As I mentioned, this 1830 house (known as the Page House) is right in the mix of where the Morrisville, NC battle took place on April 13th, 1865.
Lt. Williamson Malcus Page
(1836 Ð May 7, 1910, Page Family Cemetery, Morrisville, NC)
Malcus was 25 years old when he enlisted and accepted his commission in the Confederate Army as lieutenant on May 16, 1861. It was at his house in Morrisville where the grand send off gala was held on June 1, 1861. Once in service, he gained the appointment of Assistant Quartermaster, which held the rank of Captain, on October 7, 1862. Paige for reasons unknown resigned from this post on April 29, 1863. He returned to Morrisville and ran the Confederate commissary, where local citizens were required to pay their 10% crop taxes to the government.
After the war and Reconstruction was over, Page became the Register of Deeds for Wake County in 1883. He was quite popular in office and elected on the Democratic ticket, Sheriff for the county in 1890 and again in 1902. (Image courtesy of Mary Page Ferrel, Morrisville. She still lives in the original Page house where the company was organized in 1861.)

Every time I've been there to hunt so far, I've been able to come home with coins and/or relics still even after all the years this place has been detected.
To show my appreciation to the wonderful owners, and to give MDer's a good name, I decided to make them a shadowbox containing old relics mainly from their property, plus a few more thrown in for good measure.
There is a 1890 IH, 1800's buttons, fired CW bullet, silver spoon piece (dated 1908), etc.
Enjoy,
MM

Attachments

• 1830 house.jpg
    1830 house.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 736
  • Malcus Page.gif
    Malcus Page.gif
    60.2 KB · Views: 730
  • 1830 house.jpg
    1830 house.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 726
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 735
Upvote 0

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MM,
That is quite a generous and a very thoughtfull idea. I did somewhat the same thing in the past when landowners would let me deer hunt on their property. Even if I did not get a deer I would always take them something for allowing me the privelidge to be on their property.

Best wishes from the Michiana area.

ivy_walls

Sep 1, 2006
Mishawaka Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE & Garrett Ace 250
Thats really cool idea to do something like that ..... i bet you will be able to hunt there for many years to come too !!!!

You should get honorable mention for that one !!!!!!!!

WTG !!!!!!

Mark

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very commendable gesture MM. I noticed that the conterfeit 8 reale wasn't in there. ;D ;D :D Keep giving the hobby a good name buddy.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great gesture from you, and a positive thing for our hobby. I also agree that presentations like these should go in "Honorable Mention" along with the returning of lost items to their owners--perhaps even more so. While the returning of an item to the person that lost it is the right thing to do, a gesture like this is above and beyond the call of duty. I believe it deserves recognition.

Well done.

-Buckleboy

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. My 3 years of art class in high school finally paid off. I was going to paint them a naked picture of myself holding a fruit basket, but I figured the relics may be better. :o ;D

Evolution said:
Very commendable gesture MM. I noticed that the conterfeit 8 reale wasn't in there. ;D ;D :D Keep giving the hobby a good name buddy.

Ev,
It was a toss up. Should I keep the piece of 8 reale or the 1890 IH? I decided to keep the silver. ;)
Hey, I had to keep something for myself.
Actually, I think the owner is going to love the old skeleton key. I showed it to her when I found it, and she was just amazed over it.
Hopefully I can find a Barber before years end. :'(
-MM-

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Doug, you are a class act, buddy. You portrayed the hobby in a positive light. Nice work, bud!

If you had given up that Spanish wilver, I would have kicked you in the butt. :D

BDD...Kirk

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Great gesture from you, and a positive thing for our hobby. I also agree that presentations like these should go in "Honorable Mention" along with the returning of lost items to their owners--perhaps even more so. While the returning of an item to the person that lost it is the right thing to do, a gesture like this is above and beyond the call of duty. I believe it deserves recognition.

Well done.

-Buckleboy

Thanks BB.

KirkPA said:
Doug, you are a class act, buddy. You portrayed the hobby in a positive light. Nice work, bud!

If you had given up that Spanish wilver, I would have kicked you in the butt. :D

BDD...Kirk

Thanks Big Guy. If I gave up my oldest coin and best find EVER (the Spanish), I'd kick my own butt! ;)
I'm hoping to pass that piece down to my kids some day. Just not today. ;)
HH,
Doug

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're a good man MM,very cool display also.I'm sure the owner's were thrilled....You start putting in the good stuff they might revoke your permission ;) Excellent work and keep on diggin'....HH!!

tac512ltd

Aug 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark; Aquavision 2007
A real positive thing to do. It speaks volumes of your character.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks All.
This relic display was actually fun to make, and it only cost me $7.50 to make. Plus relics of course.
I figure it will be very much appreciated by the elderly couple that owns the house, and they can pass it down through the generations.
-MM-

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That display was a great idea. Thanks for making us all look good. Congrats on the finds.
Burdie

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doug,

It wasnt too many months ago that you started out an old Greenie. Well, you have progressed my friend into a relichunter! You showed a virtuous character by making this shadow box for the Page family. I agree with others and affirm that we are glad that you kept the silver...besides...as CivilMan pointed out...You start putting stuff like that in there and they may have revoked your right to hunt the property. In the end it was a noble and honorable gesture just like Captain Page who served the Confederate Army and Government with pride and good devotion! ;) ;)

Great job Bud,

Josh

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
great idea -- smooth move and class act all rolled into one --- you'll go far --- Ivan

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A true gentleman indeed and I am proud to know ya! :) I'm sure that display will be cherished for a VERY long time.

Very nice research and pictures too!

Nana

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread