Buffalo, 2-Cent piece, 3- Wheats and a button

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I actually found these on Monday but have not had much of a chance to post.
The buffalo (no date) is my second and the 2 Cent piece is a first for me. The three Wheats are 1940, 1040, 1942. One clad dime and one Memorial Cent.
These came from my first hunt at a new spot that I will be going back to. 300+ acre farm that is VERY OLD. Not really sure when the home was built. The barn collapsed this winter. Now there is the house another barn and a sugar shack left standing. Long ago abandond apple orchard also.
I think you will be seeing more posts from me and this prime unhunted spot. 2 hours invested and goodies already.

Thanx for looking, VPR

P.S. Any advise on cleaning up the 2 cent a little better. The before and after is with about 2 hours in peroxide. Keep soaking??

Attachments

• IMG_6217_1_1_1.JPG
    IMG_6217_1_1_1.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_6219_1_1.JPG
    IMG_6219_1_1.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_6290_1_1.JPG
    IMG_6290_1_1.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_6292_1_1.JPG
    IMG_6292_1_1.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 409
Upvote 0

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
happy dance still looking for my first buffalo.NICEJOB :thumbsup:

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice finds :thumbsup:

You said you tried peroxide but did you try nukeing the peroxide in the microwave for 2 minutes that seemsto work extremely well and if that still doesnt get it clean make you an electrolosis. hope you get the 2 cents clean nice coin by the way

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be nice to see if they would clean up but that is some harsh soil there!

Nice finds :)

HH, Mark

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Congrats on your finds. Hot peroxide works pretty well. When you are completely finished with peroxide you could rub some Vaseline on it nice and thick. Leave it for a day or two and rub it with your fingers. I find that it will help to remove some of the tarnish and bring up some of the details without harming the coin.

Ed-

OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I have been using the hot peroxide with results. The results are slow because like the two Large Cents that I have found so far in different spots the soil sticks to them like concrete. I guess that I just have to be a little more patient. Old copper takes it pretty hard arround here.
The 2 cent looks like it was droped long ago in very nice condition. Still not sure of the date.
One more thing that I cant figure out.... I have only been MDing since last August and have found 2 Large Cents, 2 Buffalo nickles and 1 Two Cent piece. Ironicaly only 1 piece of silver, 1935-D Mercury Dime. Dont get me wrong I REALLY like finding the old copper but where is all the silver. Reading all of the posts is seems that most every one finds more silver than old copper.
Thanx for the replys, VPR

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice batch of finds.

To bad the patina was eaten up on that 2 center. I've found them like that also in the past.

HH Jer

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! :o Super finds! Sounds like a GREAT site that will keep you busy all summer!!

Congrats! Nan :)

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice two center. Sometimes the peroxide will kind of toast a coin if it has corrosion on it. I still like to use it though because if the coin isn't corroded it usually turns out great. Soak it for a while in distilled water after the peroxide is done and like someone said above rub some vaseline on it. Bees wax will work better (learned that one from Don in SJ). Heat the bees wax with the coin on it under a hot desk lamp. The coin will sink into the wax. When it's fully coated with liquid wax pull it out and rub off the excess wax. Then buff the coin to a shine with a clean toothbrush. I will say this though. Never clean a coin if you think it might be really valuable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread