OP
K

Kendel

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the valuable suggestions,
CORRECTION : the floor was only cimented and tiled in the 50s ; no concrete, no reinforcement was carried out and i assume that since the place was an old construction, rocks & stones may have been used mostly. what detector would you recommend in this case as we only need to check if somethng is there before embarking on anything
thanks

TimeWaster

Oct 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is just a room where you think this is, why don't you try drilling some 3/4" diameter holes with a hammer drill, and probe the hole with a T handled rebar, probing, er uh, thingamajiggy. LOL the thing that building inspectors use to probe footings to see if they are firm enough. (Geez I'm a Civil Engineer, but I never heard a name for that thing.) Take a good look at the room, and think where they would have dug a hole, I'm thinking had to be a corner or against a wall, and go to drilling and probing. If the concrete has rebar, don't do this. It is even feasible that they placed a stray mark on a wall to help locate it. Even a stray nail in the ceiling could mark it. Don't leave us hangin', tell us what you find!

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
+1 on probe that shiznit!!!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious why do think there was no concrete prior to the 1950s? Concrete has been around for thousands of years. If this was any type of factory it would have most likely been made with a concrete floor. Assuming your information is correct and it was poured in the 1950s, then it almost certainly has rebar or wire as these have been industry standard for a long time. You won't ever know until you get a detector in your hands and scan the floor.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Would somebody please tell Kendel what detector to use. That's all he's asking and i've already offered my picks.

OP
OP
K

Kendel

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes please, what detector to use.,
and many thanks for all the information provided which will be taken into account,

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If you know where it is just dig it up. Its probably only 3-5 ft deep. Detection equipment that tells depth etc is pretty pricey. There is no substitute for just digging.

Hoppus

Aug 20, 2012
Reno, NV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure by the sounds of things Kendall is trying to be discreet...he/she doesn't want to tear up the whole floor to find nothing...just go get yourself a garrett ace 250 or something of the like...not a terrible price tag and you'll get the results you're looking for and you can keep using it afterwards to get yourself in to detecting...

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buried in the floor of an old METAL factory...it sure would be curious if there weren't bits and pieces of METAL lying about to further confound whatever machine you settle on. DixieGal said it best...There is no substitute for just digging.

I don't think there is a cheap solution. I wouldn't bank a dime on my 250 (or any entry level detector) being much use in the conditions stated. Sure it will find metal under that floor, probably lots of it. Be prepared to dig...

And I thought searching gravel parking lots was tough. Sure better have your research down before you muck with clandestine operations involving floor tear-out!

enjoy the hunt,
cc

Grizzly13

Sep 22, 2012
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac/Sunray Probe. Garrett 2500/garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You said concrete and tile ? What was the base before the tile was added ? If it's just tile there will not be rebar. Or was the tile layed over a concrete floor? Is it coinage or paper money? Do you know if it was a metal box or wooden? There is still alot we need to know. I'm particulary curious if your father owns it why the hush hush ?

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Here's what I think Kendel means, he can correct me if I'm wrong. The base is rock and stone. This was covered with
cement (for the cracks) and tiled. What he hasn't said is if anyone in his group owns a detector. If not then he wants to
know what specific one to get. Kendel, there are good dealers on TN who can answer all your questions and recommend
one for you.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I would guess that you are dealing with 3" of concrete/tile & about 6" of dirt. Just about any modern detector would pick up a cache at this dept. That is unless it is paper money in a wooden box. Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-6.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-6.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 272

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If it was me and I didn't plan to TH past this one cache I would call a metal detector dealer in the area and see if they have a unit you can demo or rent. Sometimes the local tool rental places have a metal detector for rent. You could sweep the room and see if you get a hit. You might want to try that first.

If you get a gazillion hits and there is a lot of metal under that floor you will probably have to pay out $700 or so for a detector that discriminates between ferrous and non ferrous. We are partial to Whites but Minelabs and Garretts are also good. The best thing to do is just call Kellyco and talk to the techs. Tell them exactly what you are doing and they will recommend the best detector.

K

Kentucky Kache

See the rebar in the remains of this old dam (same one in my avatar). It was built about 1909 or 1910.

100_0135.JPG 100_0133.JPG 100_0137.JPG 100_0134.JPG

I can't imagine anyone building a concrete floor that they're gonna tile, and not reinforce it with rebar.

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Take a ladder, stand high up on it, take a picture of the floor and post it on the dowsing forum. I am sure a lot of TN members will laugh at this. It will cost almost nothing and you might be suprised at the results. What have you got to lose?

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got to agree with KK. A factory floor is not a small area. Nobody pours concrete without re-bar. Anybody who does will be faced with chunks and cracks in short order, inside or out.

I'd love for the OP to find the cache, but realistically it is not a simple pluck job. There is no way the floor underneath the tile, concrete or whatever is totally barren of all kind of contradictory signals within a metal factory. There will be no simple X marks the spot, drill a tiny hole, wiggle a finger and out pours the riches. The OP is talking about digging up a concrete and tile floor. Hah! As I said...best to make sure your research is sound...even gps coords won't drop you right on top! I'm pulling for you, I just think it's gonna require some serious thought and work, if the cache is there.

enjoy the hunt,
cc

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If all else fails and you cant rent a metal detector,You can rent a bulldozer.Good luck on your search but i have to agree with the previous emphasis on re-bar,Line wire,etc being present,The reason i say this is because any amount of concrete(especially for flooring) would be reinforced,Whether by cable,rebar,wire or other means,The presence of foreign metals in/beneath that floor is almost a sure thing. But on the upside of things....If the floor is reinforced with steel or some other form of metal,A metal detector may be the perfect weapon to find the exact spot you need to remove in the flooring.If the cache was of a large size or inside a large container/vessel,They would have removed the steel reinforcement in an area of the concrete in order to access enough dirt to dig/bury the cache.Just swing your detector until you find the spot without the reinforcement.SHould put you close to where you need to be.Best of luck on this endeavor.

HH John

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the second mention of renting a metal detector and the best suggestion yet I think...little cost and will satisfy Kendal's curiosity without much trouble.

:icon_thumright::icon_thumleft:

peace,
cc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions