buried cache

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Here is a perfect example of what can happen to a poster asking advise. Happens all the time. Nitpicking over every word,
not reading the post, jumping in with negativity when their advise is not taken. he clearly said there was no concrete yet
concrete advise poured in. He amended the "factory" to a workroom for a goldsmith. He's American not Bahamian. He's only
asking one question, what detector to use.

Sorry Kendel for the negativity. Your last clue leads me to believe you may have something of value worth searching for.

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeepers...

Kendel, I've read and re-read this thread and besides a bit of bickering as to methods there were no insults intended. Text is tricky to deal with and there were un-clear details that muddled the issue further. Everybody was just trying to help in their own way.

One final tip: To determine if the grout (what you might be calling ciment) has adhered to a tile (e.g.. has the tile been loosened previously) use a screwdriver and tap lightly on the tile with the handle. A tile with inadequate grout will have a hollow sound and a solidly attached tile will not. This will help to determine if tiles have been messed with before.

Good luck and hope you find that treasure!

peace all,
cc

edited to add:

Lastleg...Kendel's own clarification contributed to the confusion...Have a review:

...clip...Am making myself understood here ; the room has a concrete floor which it didn't have in 1800s...clip...the whole room which is quite big...clip...not alerting the curious...clip..."CORRECTION : the floor was only cimented and tiled in the 50s ; no concrete, no reinforcement was carried out and i assume that since the place was an old construction, rocks & stones may have been used mostly...clip...Re-details of soil, I hve provided what i hve gathered from an elderly dad whose memoire is fading. It was a dirt soil, then cimented and ceramic tiled, i have no idea if it the job was done by amateur or professionel. "

Note the use of the word ciment, if he means cement then well, guess what? Cement is an ingredient of concrete...Note also the use of the word ASSUME and MAY HAVE BEEN. It is obvious that he doesn't know much about the construction of what he is attempting to tear up.

Your post is a perfect example of what can happen when a person doesn't read carefully, just as you accused others of doing. Oh well, shrug...I just saw people trying to help, guess some perspectives vary considerably.

Last edited:

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to drag this out, but how do you "ciment and tile a floor", if there is no concrete under it?

I dont think there was any nitpicking, its just that the op didnt explain very well, what the building was made of, so kinda hard for anyone to give answers without more information. Guessing that if it was paper money, it could also be detected, was a bit of a long shot, it could be French Franks or Russian Rubles, since the op was quiet about that. And you dont tunnel under a floor, if you dont even know how its constructed.

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the expected value of this cache?

Is it worth the expense and effort?

If you want to know if there is rebar in the concrete use a strong magnet.

You need to give more details before a detector could be suggested.

How deep is the cache? ect. The more info the better!

Ignore the okie he just doesn't get it.

Last edited:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
No matter how you slice and dice, no poured concrete floor, alright. He said it enough. Sounds to me like the bldg was built
of "stone/rocks, it had a room with a dirt floor, then pa put a light coat of "ciment" down and then tile. That old tile was thicker
than that used nowdays. Maybe it was rock tile or sandstone "tiles". Anyway it doesn't matter now.

The young man had no background in construction and was trying to describe it the best way he could. The interesting part is
the term "goldsmith". Those guys ordered precious metals to make jewelry. Hmmm.

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Under those conditions if buried shallow any metal detector would work.

K

Kentucky Kache

He did say he didn't know if the job had been done by a professional or an amateur. The fact is, a lot of people don't know the difference in cement and concrete, and therefore will use the two words interchangeably. If tile was put down on actual cement, with only a foundation of piled rock, I'd say it was not done by a professional. Then again, building methods have certainly changed.

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kendel, glad you're still around and thanks for all the clarification. Sounds like you have a good little weekend project. Get a detector, find that metal and dig it up. Report back what you find, I'm curious how this all plays out...

Is a pic of the floor a possiblility?

peace,
cc

Doh! *I'm* the perfect example of what happens when the possibility of a nasty turn is detected and a graceful exit is made and then...Pffft! I still jumped in, Fool speed ahead!

Really, though I just like the hypothetical challenge and there is a bunch of really good info dispersed throughout the thread to provide use for other treasure-seekers in similar situations.

For example, say you had a modern factory floor, replete with all the things you'd expect to find both on top of the floor and underneath. It still would not be too difficult to detect and retrieve a good-sized cache.

With the detector you could map out where the re-bar, water-main, sewage, etc. was. You would also mark all the little places you figured where nails, scrap and such. Now you would look for a high concentration of metal that didn't fit the scenario.

Honestly, Kendel, good luck!

enjoy the hunt,
cc

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Maybe it isn't if you're not the one called one. Let's all get over it. I thought it was worth pinning down as a good lead.

TimeWaster

Oct 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, here's an idea... Check to see if the slab is reinforced. If not, find an optimum time and carefully bust it up with a sledge hammer. Check for/find treasure. Put all the pieces back as best you can. Now, when the owner finds the busted slab, be the "expert" on un-reinforced slabs and explain that is what happens when you don't reinforce concrete. A good poker face will do wonders. If you found lots of treasure, tell him you have a friend in the business, and you'll get it repaired because the friend owes you a favor. You are rich, he has a new reinforced slab, everyone goes home happy. Just know that getting caught could get you deported. Just sayin'... AND just kidding...

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Native, foreigner, that's not the point. What you need are a few illegals who will work on the cheap. Instruct where you want a few tunnels dug. Give them a hot meal, a few bucks and a thank you.

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
It might be interesting to run any good detector over it. I don't know how close rebar is but (even if you have to raise the detector higher) you might be able to determine a shape of somekind when you're measuring depth. It doesn't sound like this was a big place. Check all around the foundation on the outside too. But what of the building layout. Does your dad remember? Was it all open or was there anything separate, like a foreman's office, etc.? Heck, what about the walls, the ceiling between floors and the plumbing? Any good detector is a good way to start. Heck, the place has a history so I'd detect everything, yard and all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread