Buried Pirate Treasure in Panama

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
td, several difficulties

Kanacki could tell you if there is credible evidence that Drake careened his ship at Cano Island or ashore.

Cano Island has no protected beach, none.
Bahia Drake is a wide expanse in the lee of the prevailing swells (flatter than a platter . . .); with wide beaches covered at high tide - and assorted rocks.
The Rio Agujitas discharges into the south side of Bahia Drake and is quite hidden with an entrance but no beach of any length.

The beach in Bahia Drake is called Playa Colorado (colored beach, i.e. not white) and has a typical 9' tide which is doable. The sand moves in, and then out; it moves to the North, and then to the South. People here for the last 30 years have been trashing the beach zone, several times a year truckloads of trash are removed.

Even were I convinced that Drake careened his ship in Bahia Drake, I would have no idea where to look.

Most of the historical written accounts that we have talk about special events. Careening is seldom mentioned because it a dirty laborious chore that should be done twice per year. It is not always easy to find a place to do it, so it was sometimes not done as often as it should. Many times with disastrous consequences.
Drake was a very experienced navigator. He knew that he absolutely must careen his ship before undertaking the crossing of the Pacific Ocean. His whole attention must have been concentrated on finding a safe spot to careen his ship. Probably every stop while sailing north, was intended for replenishing the water and food supply and finding a place to careen.
Without looking at charts, my guess would be the river mouth, if it is deep enough. It does not necessarily need a beach to careen, just a place without rocks.

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
a link to a listing of a 5 volume history of Panama ?
were you pointing out something specific ?

Nothing specific, did not read it yet, just trying to find more of the Spanish viewpoint of the various pirate events. Although written in modern times, such books usually give references to original documents and location of such documents. It seems that literature about the pirates in the Caribbean is 99% in the English language. There must be vast amounts of documentation in spanish archives, but it does not seem a popular subjects of Spanish scholars.

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello my friend Kanacki,
When you mentioned 'Cano', I flashed on the '40 tons of silver' Drake is alleged to have dumped there; but which Cano Island is the real one, if either?
Don........

Hello Don

You can see the map below dated around 1600? You will see the name Cano.

ila de cano 1606.JPG

You can see the island north of Panama its location was well known even in Drakes Time. However suspect the whole story was mixed up by the surviving Spanish Nuestra Señora de la Concepción ( Cacafuego ) captured off Ecuador who believed they saw the English Throwing silver over the side? Most likely they was throwing ballast and replacing the ballast with the silver ingots. That I believe later added to confusion that created the myth that Drake through silver over the side. What convinces me is three very old credible versions no mention what so ever any silver was jettisoned.

Kanacki

OP
OP
A

atodisco

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I didn’t realize this had blown up so much! Just to offer a little more history on the document itself, it was created by a patrol that Morgan had sent out after the sacking of Panama to raid some of the surrounding towns, since they didn’t find as many valuables as they’d hoped in Panama City. As the patrol was heading back from the raid, they ran into some remnants of the Spanish army, so they veered off the road, found a spot to hide/bury the heaviest of the treasure, and then forded a river to avoid the Spanish. The lieutenant in charge then drew up the chart, with directions and notes addressed to Morgan on how to find it. According to the story (and this is what we are researching now) by the time they made it back, the rest of the ‘army’ was getting ready to head back north to the boats. Since the treasure was on the smaller yet still cumbersome side, Morgan decided to leave it, (maybe he thought he’d come back at a later date to grab it, but then after settling in as governor of Jamaica, figured he was comfortable enough and didn’t bother). So the story goes that the map just kept getting passed down his ‘adopted’ family line (there are conflicting reports about him adopting nieces and cousins etc who inherited his things once he passed away).

Louis Morgan attempted to stage an expedition in the 1920s with this same map. But he never made it to Panama due to poor fund management. We didn’t realize there were 2 other Morgans also searching around the same time, which is super interesting.

Thanks for all the discussion! We have a trove of documents and will continue our research but will also share what we can here because it’s so great to see everyone’s responses.

-Amanda, Chris, and Rachel

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the added details, Amanda. I love discussing this type of topic on TreasureNet. So interesting! Have you read this classic book on Morgan's raid? The Sack of Panama by Peter Earle. There are other accounts and books about the raid but this book is a good introduction along with Exquemelin's account, of course.

When I hear various treasure legends and stories (and in a place like Panama, you hear many a good yarn), I try to analyze and break down each detail to try to determine if it makes sense, and can each/any detail be confirmed by research (admittedly difficult given the dearth of records from the era, although there are some). In terms of the raid, yes, it's well-documented that Morgan didn't find as much treasure as hoped, mostly because the Spanish had time to prepare and they loaded a huge ship with all the most valuable treasure (along with the women, children, and the "important" citizens), which barely escaped the English in time. Also, the fire that was set by the Spanish didn't make it any easier to find valuables as the majority of the town was destroyed.

When you say that Morgan sent out a patrol to raid nearby towns (to get more treasure), I wonder which nearby towns you are referring to? Panama was very sparsely populated at the time and as a result, the Spanish lived in only a very few and well-documented towns on the whole isthmus, mostly located on 2 "roads" (really mule trails) called the Camino de Cruces and the Camino Real. This was due to the lack of people on the isthmus at the time and for added security. The Camino de Cruces is the road that Morgan followed for the raid on Panama City- He started on the north coast where he quickly took Fort San Lorenzo, then went up the Chagres river to the town of Cruces (which was stripped of all resources and abandoned when he arrived). Cruces is where the Camino de Cruces begins and the trail went all the way to the original site of Panama City (approx. 30km). Panama City was, by far, the most secure city in that part of the country and anything of value would have been stored there, since they had large vaults and soldiers to protect it.

The only other Spanish towns at that time were: Portobelo on the Atlantic coast (Morgan had already sacked it years before), and Nata on the Pacific coast, but it was located about 150 km from Panama City as the crow flies and this is where the Mayor of Panama and and others escaped to after the raid. However, we know that Morgan didn't go to Nata since there were Spanish reinforcements there and plus it was much too far for the effort. Any other settlements were mere way stations on the roads, which contained nothing of significant value. A lot of people don't realize how desolate Panama was up until the early 19th century. Indeed, a big reason that Panamanians wanted independence from Colombia in later centuries was because they were largely ignored by Colombia, who looked at Panama as a "backwater and backwards" part of the country with very few people or resources.

Your other statement, "Since the treasure was on the smaller yet still cumbersome side, Morgan decided to leave it," I don't understand what you mean here. Smaller yet cumbersome side of the isthmus? Yes, that's true but they are already there and clearly have enough men to extract any treasure (plus they reportedly had over 600 Spanish/Panamanian prisoners to help transport treasure if needed). Panama Viejo is located on the Pacific Coast and they would be heading north/northwest to return to Fort San Lorenzo via the Cruces Trail so unless they headed in a complete opposite direction to a settlement no one has heard about, it's seems that any treasure they found and buried wouldn't be too much out of their way to retrieve. Please correct me if I have misunderstood.

I've attached a historical Panama map for reference which shows the route that Morgan took to and from Panama City for his raid. Even though the map was made about 90 years after Morgan's attack, you can see that Panama was still sparsely populated. Maybe you mean the patrol headed almost due north up the Camino Real to raid some of the minor way stations (Maria Enrique, Venta Chages, etc.) but I don't believe that is likely since the Spanish would have abandoned these little settlements and/or there was always the chance that the Spanish would have soldier reinforcements there. There would be little of value there unless a treasure mule train happened to be camping there for the night on it's way north to Portobelo and there is no record of one at that time. I would guess that the English/Morgan would avoid the Camino Real altogether, since it was too much of a risk at that point.

Now I wasn't there when it happened (haha) but what I understand from my research is that Morgan did send out patrols into the countryside/bush after taking Panama, but to round up various citizens who escaped and were hiding; in order to torture them into revealing where they hid any remaining valuables. There were no other settlements in the vicinity in which to raid, unfortunately, for Morgan.

These are just some things to think about. I'm not trying to discourage you and your friends from investigating as I would certainly look into it, especially if I had a possible family connection to an infamous historical figure (and a supposed "treasure map"). But I assume you are looking for feedback because you posted here, and these are just some random thoughts from a Panama veteran who has searched in many of these places on the isthmus. By the way, I still have connections in Panama and if you ever want to be put in touch with an English-speaking, reliable, and knowledgeable guide there, send a private message and I will put you in touch with him.

Attachments

• MorganRoute.png
    MorganRoute.png
    618 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
Perdido,
great post, really to the point.
Maybe even too precise. My feeling is that interpretation of old stories and legends should also take into account the subjective distortions of the story.

When you say that Morgan sent out a patrol to raid nearby towns (to get more treasure), I wonder which nearby towns you are referring to? Panama was very sparsely populated at the time and as a result, the Spanish lived in only a very few and well-documented towns on the whole isthmus, mostly located on 2 "roads" (really mule trails) called the Camino de Cruces and the Camino Real.
Would it be realistic to consider that Henry Morgan and his heirs would somewhat embellish the story, by not mentioning the atrocities that were committed during the raid on Panama. That in reality (I believe there are eyewitness accounts to confirm that) Henry morgan sent his people in search of the people of Panama who did not have the fortune to find refuge on ships, boats and islands that were out of reach of the pirates. they would have had to bury their silver and gold or gather what food and valuables they could and run for cover in the countryside, forests, caves or whatever shelter they could.
The pirates would hunt them down. Torture them to reveal where there was treasure and try to sell them for ransom. Henry Morgan would also have sold the town itself back to it's inhabitants, like he did with other towns, if Panama had not burned down.
Killing in battle was considered acceptable. Ransom was acceptable. Plundering was acceptable. Torturing civilians was considered a much more despicable crime. So Henry Morgan sent his people to search for food. If they did other evil things, he chose not to know about it. Does that sound plausible?
As for treasure maps.
when I found my first treasure shipwreck in 1970, I quickly had to learn how to draw a treasure map, to be able to return to the spot. I learned from the indigenous people. Remember, there was no GPS or anything of that kind then. Compass bearings proved very inaccurate. The old fishermen showed me how to lineup 2 landmarks in one direction and 2 landmarks in a different direction as close to 90 degrees apart as possible.
Later I learned how to find similar ways to find my sites underwater and out of sight of land.
I used to draw these treasure maps in a book. Over the many years a good amount of treasure maps accumulated.
Did I ever go back to my treasure sites? Actually very few of them. Mostly a matter of logistics, when the sites are continents apart. Did I leave treasure behind? Most definitely. Lots.

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Would it be realistic to consider that Henry Morgan and his heirs would somewhat embellish the story, by not mentioning the atrocities that were committed during the raid on Panama. That in reality (I believe there are eyewitness accounts to confirm that) Henry morgan sent his people in search of the people of Panama who did not have the fortune to find refuge on ships, boats and islands that were out of reach of the pirates. they would have had to bury their silver and gold or gather what food and valuables they could and run for cover in the countryside, forests, caves or whatever shelter they could.
The pirates would hunt them down. Torture them to reveal where there was treasure and try to sell them for ransom. Henry Morgan would also have sold the town itself back to it's inhabitants, like he did with other towns, if Panama had not burned down.
Killing in battle was considered acceptable. Ransom was acceptable. Plundering was acceptable. Torturing civilians was considered a much more despicable crime. So Henry Morgan sent his people to search for food. If they did other evil things, he chose not to know about it. Does that sound plausible?

Great points, OceanScience. I remember reading some of those accounts of Morgan using torture against the Panama civilians who weren't fortunate enough to escape and/or were caught in the aftermath of the raid. He was in a pretty pissed-off mood because at least one treasure ship had escaped (largely the result of his men getting sauced when they discovered the wine cellar) and then the city burning down, preventing Morgan from being able to ransom the city like he had with other cities. I know he tried to ransom the 600+ Panamanian prisoners after he marched them to Chagres but he wasn't able to make that work.

I also remember several years ago when I was talking to an English friend of mine about the differences between Morgan and Drake. He winced and said that Morgan was an absolute scumbag- a murderous, vile pirate, while he felt that Drake was honorable and very much a respected privateer (and not a pirate). Besides his mortal enemies, the Spanish, Drake reportedly treated people well. Another difference was that Drake was a great sailor while Morgan barely got by.

Last edited:

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
Morgan's feat was to use a motley crew made out of all sorts of adventurers and buccaneers, like an army. No easy task. Somebody compared it to herding a flock of cats. The buccaneers originated from various nations. Basically hunters, living a nomadic life in small groups. The one thing they had in common, was being persecuted by the Spaniards. Not much different were the brazilwood lumberjacks from Campeche, another significant part of morgan's crew. (see Dampier)
An interesting turn of events is the final destiny of the ship that carried most of the treasure and VPI's of Panama to safety, out of Morgan's reach. The "Santisima Trinidad". This great ship was later captured by Sharpe. Ringrose and Dampier were part of the crew. They captured the greatest treasure ever. The Nautical charts that opened the west coast of South America to the British. They sailed this ship around the southern tip of South America, to the Caribbean and bought the pardon for their acts of piracy with that treasure.
I always felt that the remains of that ship would be a fantastic source of information about the pirates. Specially since she is buried under deep mud. Mud is the best preservative for shipwrecks.

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
Treasure map

Here is one of my treasure maps of more modern style. Our boat is anchored on the exact spot where the "OXFORD", Morgan's flagship sank. The magnetometer survey showed a typical scatter pattern of cannon form an exploded ship. Perfectly preserved under at least 2 feet of mud.
We have the mountains of the background that we can lineup with features in the foreground. The precision of the spot is within about 10 feet or even better.
The problem is that the picture was taken about 30 years ago. Some of the features in the foreground have probably changed over time. Thus, the accuracy has been degraded. Maybe by as much as 200 feet.
Something similar or worst has to be expected for Morgan's treasure map. We might have to deal with uncertainty in the range of miles.
OXFORD.jpg

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Archaeologists from Texas State University diving near the Lajas Reef discovered a large section of hull from what they believe to be Henry Morgan's flagship, 'Satisfaction'.

The wreck, which contains numerous unopened cargo boxes and coral-encrusted chests, appears to match the age and design of five ships Morgan lost off the reef in 1671.

01spanishshipwreck.ngsversion.1431482400904.adapt.1900.1.jpg

Captain-Henry-Morgan-ship-found-discovered-located-Panama.jpg

The team of explorers, led by Fritz Hanselmann, the university's Chief Underwater Archaeologist, previously discovered six iron cannons that belonged to Morgan nearby. lost Satisfaction and four other ships amid rough seas and shallow reef around the fort of Castillo de San Lorenzo.

Morgan's name was later taken on by the Captain Morgan rum company. All artefacts found will remain property of the Panamanian government, and will go on display at the Patronato Panama Viejo.

With all the news reports the story went dead rather quickly. There is fact many wrecks near the Lajas Reef all similar time period. I thought the discovery was little presumptuous in declaring the vessel one of Morgans ships. Even trying to identify a ship by cannons are fraught with danger because some times captured Spanish guns was re used on English warships.

Lajas Reef claimed Many Ships. I suspect the wreck of "Good Jesus" lost 1598 was one of the many wrecks on that reef.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will tell you a funny story.

I remember one such trip my vessel came as a tourist vessel on Cruise. The customs went over the vessel. We had nothing give any indication of anything else. Kept our mouths shut played the tourist. Meanwhile flew in cargo and equipment needed. And out fitted the vessel. Thinking we had done every thing super clandestinely and was pretty smug with ourselves having totally fooled authorities. Came the day loading all the supplies and equipment into the vessel. A little boy about 5 years old came up and tugged my hand and said in a little childlike innocent voice "Hey Mister are you guys treasure hunters" :laughing7:

No matter how discreet you are? There is always someone watching and putting two and two together.

Kanacki

Last edited:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Hola Kanacki

As a foreigner one is always watched, and discussed with others; its another channel on the TV of life, no mal-intent just entertainment.
I imagine I have a red strobe just over my head.
I never carry an open tool, just starts too many discussions.

5 of us came in separately and the waitress asks us what we are looking for. jeez

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
Archaeologists from Texas State University diving near the Lajas Reef discovered a large section of hull from what they believe to be Henry Morgan's flagship, 'Satisfaction'.

The wreck, which contains numerous unopened cargo boxes and coral-encrusted chests, appears to match the age and design of five ships Morgan lost off the reef in 1671.

View attachment 1733274

View attachment 1733275

The team of explorers, led by Fritz Hanselmann, the university's Chief Underwater Archaeologist, previously discovered six iron cannons that belonged to Morgan nearby. lost Satisfaction and four other ships amid rough seas and shallow reef around the fort of Castillo de San Lorenzo.

Morgan's name was later taken on by the Captain Morgan rum company. All artefacts found will remain property of the Panamanian government, and will go on display at the Patronato Panama Viejo.

With all the news reports the story went dead rather quickly. There is fact many wrecks near the Lajas Reef all similar time period. I thought the discovery was little presumptuous in declaring the vessel one of Morgans ships. Even trying to identify a ship by cannons are fraught with danger because some times captured Spanish guns was re used on English warships.

Lajas Reef claimed Many Ships. I suspect the wreck of "Good Jesus" lost 1598 was one of the many wrecks on that reef.

Kanacki

What a fine example of a scientist. Shameless is the word that comes to mind.
This shipwreck was already well known 40 years ago. The late Robert Marx even mentions it in his book "Shipwrecks of the Western Hemisphere"

Wait, now I get it: Morgan set up a store on the beach. He brought a ship laden with trade goods. Nevermind there is no place for the pirates. Trade is more important. After all we don't want to get into a trade war with the Spaniards.

Morgan to Pegleg: you, keep the store. Accept only cash, silver and gold. Definitely no credit cards. In the meantime I quickly go to Panama city and give a bad time to our clients who are late on payments. I am fed up. One gives credit to the clients and then they default on payments. I am going to threaten them to burn down their houses if they don't pay immediately. And with interests. We need to show them that business means business.

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola treasurediver

I see the irony also?

While archaeologists criticize treasure hunters for the ethics of the exploitation of shipwrecks for commercial benefit resulting into poor scientific research outcomes?

It seems a little hypocritical that Texas State University used funding for a project from a company that has economic motives for promoting Henry Morgans Rum is hardly impartial altruistic motive to sponsor an archaeological project?

The article reeks of manipulated Scientific research to promote Captain Morgans Rum. It does not take much imagination the marketing arm of Captain Morgan influenced those scientific conclusions.

Kanacki

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
hey guys, shall we form a semicircle to howl at the moon ? (ain't it awful)

We have monetized the world (human part anyway) and indeed this seems an integral part of the progression of 'civilization'. A company gave money to a University and the professor and some students got some free summer diving; and the professor got a paper and some publicity as well.
And repeatedly we see Captain Morgan's Rum. Seems like a win-win.
Full Disclosure: Captain Morgan's Rum was my drink of choice (quit eventually).

Would it be better if the site were to be selected by professionals, and then the results withheld 'in the public's interest' ?
All paid for by the public without discussion.

compromises all around

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread