Busted at work - OOPS!

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
well talk about a bad week in general,

I get stressed out I fall back on old vices, which for me is coin hunting and book buying. I bought 4 books off of amazon and started to break open coin rolls in my till to look for silver and nickels. One day I got to work to find a note taped onto our daily schedule about to "Do not break open rolls unless absolutely necessary" then my managers told us all to not do the same thing. They talked to everyone but I know for a fact it was a warning to me. I asked my boss if we turn away customers if they bring in a lot of coins also and she said no, but to just not open the rolls unless necessary. EESh give me a break.

then I found out that I might have to have surgery done due to fibroids. Even with insurance I can't afford it. I can't even afford a 1000 MRI they wanted to do on my head, due to faintness and vertigo. Thankfully that was just because of the summertime screwy weather.

On a good note, I found a 1944 and 1955 silver canadian dime and quarter both in the coinstar. I was joking about putting up a craigslist posting about wanting to buy canadian quarters and dimes, LOL. I can hear the groans and see the rolling eyes already. Also I took everyone's advice about the ASEs. So I went to my LCS and asked about ASE and was told they were selling for 37 dollars. I told him silver was at 32 and if he would take 35 for one. he said no because he buys them at 35 and adds on 2 additional dollars. 2012 ASE he told me were 37.50. Eeehh, after what I was told by everyone else, I forgot about those and just bought some buillion. I got one ounce, a US quarter, a quarter tube and a dime tube for 42 dollars. Unfortunately they are the only coin shop that I know of unless I want to go check out a pawn shop or three in town, about 20 miles away. Maybe I will take a weekend off and ask my brother to go pawn shop hopping with me. Maybe next week will be better.

Hugs and Smiles,
garoulady

Upvote 0

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
sheepdog_tx said:
Not to sound rude but I personally dont think a teller, checker, etc should get paid to CRH on the clock. Think about it I'm paying you to take the silver I should be getting from my bank. Hows that fair? IMHO being caught swaping out silver, even if not CRH like obvious silver dollars, should be against company policy and a termable offense.

Tellers, I will agree with, but if you are working retail (I know this first hand), people could give a crap. I only had 1 person ask if I found any collectible coins, and they got SUPER excited over my SUPER RARE 1979 SBA dollars. On the other hand, I've gotten more silver and wheaties handed to me from people who were more concerned with blabbing on their phone and letting their kids raise hell in the store.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Wilmington and Boris, appreciate the positive feedback. Normally they don't give two cents to me coin searching. my oops happened when I opened a full roll of quarters with the quarter holder till half full. Also I am seeing something weird at work. We are getting less plastic wrapped coins and more paper wrapped ones. the paper wrapped ones are from NR strings and sons. Absolutely no canadians or silver. bummer! Give me my brinks plastic wrapped back =(.

a lot of people using the coinstar and I am hearing a lot of silver and canadian getting rejected. Found some newer canadians that I just left on the ledge for some little munchkin to find. Figured they would get a kick out of the "cool" coins. Saw a canadian that differed from the normal caribou head but I had several of that particular one already. Also sent out my batsignal to everyone that I was looking for old canadian quarters and dimes. Only from loose coins of course. I figured that if I get enough canadian quarter that I can turn them in for pure silver. You know ounce of canadian silver for buillion with a tiny overhead. maybe I am not sure yet though.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As someone who used to be a head cashier at a grocery store way in my past life (Back before scanners), I understand why they don't want you to open all of your rolls, or more than you need to have opened. They have to count that not only every night but also again in the morning. Anytime you have to count a large amount of coins individually, it just slows you down getting the job done. I used to raise hell also when cashiers would open their rolls before they needed to. If cashiers laughed or just didn't get it, I took them to the office to count 5 tills while also trying to do their other job of checking customers out. Then I would tell them to imagine doing that with 30 tills, while trying to get my other duties done. They understood pretty quickly. It wouldn't bother me though if a teller unwrapped it, looked through it, and then re-wrapped it in the same wrapper.

Last edited:

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea passing on the expensive MRI, often they will try to push expensive unnecessary procedures. Looks like it turned out ok for you! I hope your health improves. There are some good suggestions above that will help to balance your CRH and job BS. Good luck!

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your going to search your till, keep some crisp notes of all denominations and swap them out for the unfit notes,then bring those unfit notes to the bank for redemption.

...........yea, that a great ideaa. NOT!
That fact that someone even trust a till to this person is amazing....

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Considering I have been a cashier for over 20 years, at one job in particular for 16 of those years, I think by now they realize they can trust me. I don't collect bills except I did save one $10 gold certificate bill. But I have to find it again. But at work now I normally put the coins to the side of my till, on the far left holder that we don't use and at the end of my shift, I call a co-worker over to witness me switching coin for coin out, or dollar bills for coins if I found enough. I use to count tills at night so I definitely understand in a way where the cash office manager is coming from but now they have it totally easy. They have a weighing scale. It takes exactly 3 minutes for them to count down everything, including bills. Sometimes I wish I had one of those but only for silver. LOL =)

On a good note I found a hawaii quarter from the America the beautiful series and a gettsburg quarter. Not bad. wish it had been some silver though. bummer.

Hugs and Smiles,
garoulady

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering I have been a cashier for over 20 years, at one job in particular for 16 of those years, I think by now they realize they can trust me. I don't collect bills except I did save one $10 gold certificate bill. But I have to find it again. But at work now I normally put the coins to the side of my till, on the far left holder that we don't use and at the end of my shift, I call a co-worker over to witness me switching coin for coin out, or dollar bills for coins if I found enough. I use to count tills at night so I definitely understand in a way where the cash office manager is coming from but now they have it totally easy. They have a weighing scale. It takes exactly 3 minutes for them to count down everything, including bills. Sometimes I wish I had one of those but only for silver. LOL =)

On a good note I found a hawaii quarter from the America the beautiful series and a gettsburg quarter. Not bad. wish it had been some silver though. bummer.

Hugs and Smiles,
garoulady

A SCALE TO WEIGH TILLS?!?!?! CHEATERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to sound rude but I personally dont think a teller, checker, etc should get paid to CRH on the clock. Think about it I'm paying you to take the silver I should be getting from my bank. Hows that fair? IMHO being caught swaping out silver, even if not CRH like obvious silver dollars, should be against company policy and a termable offense.

you're entitled to your opinion, but it's that kind of thinking that allows employees to put tracking devices on their company vehicles. That thought that "while you're on my clock, every last waking breath needs to be put towards the advancement of my company." Maybe instead of cubicles they should just lock us in small surveillance rooms at 9am and unlock them at 5pm

Rushfan

Aug 18, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Other
CRH'ing on the job... rocks! Nothing like getting my good pay and benefits while quietly going through a box if halves... then dump /pickup at lunch and do it again...if cashiers do it, more power to them.... if I was a cashier, I know I would...

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
CRH'ing on the job... rocks! Nothing like getting my good pay and benefits while quietly going through a box if halves... then dump /pickup at lunch and do it again...if cashiers do it, more power to them.... if I was a cashier, I know I would...

The only way I was able to do it so much was because the area of the store that I worked in was dead everyday. I do Food Service inside a retail store. Seriously, an average good day for my department is $200 (9AM - 8PM). The most we ever sold was we did $2000+ on Black Friday last year (we opened at midnight). I worked from midnight until 9AM, by myself until 6AM... They told me that roughly $1500 of it was when I was alone. No CRHing that day, lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
well if we converted to pure coin currency, creating new cash drawers that could hold that kinda weight would give some people very much needed jobs.

Just a thought,

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Our work does it from left to right top drawer, Rolled Coins/Stamps, $20, $10, $5, $1. The bottom section is for extra rolled coins, quarters, dimes, nicks, pennies and $50/$100 go under the till. and I have been behaving myself at work. Haven't opened any rolls or found anything. Bummer. On a good note, I have a two week stretch coming up that I might get 50+ hours at work for our new store's grand re-opening. we are changing our stores from Glen's Market to Family Fare. They are expecting a massive amount of people there. I smell silver in the air. mmm, delicious.

anyways, wish me luck. I might be getting some ASEs in town.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread