paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the coolest and weirdest site I've found all year, and I only just stumbled across it! I was sweeping a steep hill in the woods with an odd furrow going down it when I hit on a flat button signal. And then another not 6 inches away, and then another... By the end of the first hunt (which was less than 3 hours long) I had over 60 buttons. The next day I found 30 more. I've been hitting the spot as hard as I can before winter sets in and I'm up over 150 buttons at this point with no end in sight!

DSC01031.JPG

What's particularly odd is it's near an 1820's mill site, but it doesn't seem to be directly related to the mill. The buttons are pretty tightly grouped going down the hill, but in the direction leading away from the mill. At first I thought it was a spill from a jar, but on the last few hunts I've started to find scatter that couldn't be explained by that. The other odd aspect are the associated finds. You'd think that with all those buttons there'd be tons of coins, but nope. In fact the associated relics are pretty weird themselves:

DSC01071.JPG DSC01074.JPG DSC01075.JPG DSC01076.JPG

Lots of suspenders parts and bits of clipped lead and copper. The brass tag is "VanWormer & McGarvey, Albany," dates from 1866 to 1876, and is off a stove. Only two spoon bowls and no musket balls or bullets. While I might not know what this site was, the variety and quality of buttons is nothing short of spectacular!

DSC01033.JPG DSC01034.JPG DSC01037.JPG

Multiple sporting buttons including the one with the horse which I love. The last one seems to be a dog, but was run over. There area actually quite a few buttons which seem to have been run over and very solidly crushed which seems difficult given how soft the soil is around here. :dontknow:

DSC01044.JPG DSC01045.JPG

Lots of colonial tombac buttons including one with a drilled shank, but no dandy buttons which was another oddity. The broken tombac has a beautiful etched pattern to it and I've been looking for the rest of it. The ground is very fine grained clay and quite moist. Initially I was worried that they would be chewed up by ground action, but it actually seemed to have preserved them better and I found a a bunch with their gilt still intact:

DSC01040.JPG

I had to do a bit of a lemon juice soak, but it worked perfectly and I especially like how the 2 and 3-piece buttons ended up looking. I was also able to get many of the backmarks visible and found the corresponding info:

• Leavenworth & Kendrick “Extra Rich” (c.1830’s)
• B & Burnham “Extra” (c. 1834-1843)
• Haydens & Co “Double Gilt” (c. 1827-1840’s)
• Wadhams Coe & Co “Extra Rich” (c. 1835-1837)
• Keeler & Freeman New York “Treble Gilt” (c. ~1828-1832)
• Robinson Jones & Co (c. 1828-1836)
• Scovills “Double Gilt” (c. 1827-1840)

Quite a few different makers and not many duplicates. The best grouping are the military buttons though.

DSC01046.JPG

I absolutely love finding military buttons of any sort and I've never come across such a variety in one spot. The highlight has to be this one:

DSC01051.JPG DSC01052.JPG

It's a very early NY State Militia button, c. 1800-1815! These are rare to find in any condition, but with the silver wash it's absolutely gorgeous!

DSC01057.JPG DSC01058.JPG

And then an 1820's or 1830's federal rifleman button which was a first for me! But not the only rifleman's button of the spot:

DSC01060.JPG

This one is a Regiment of Rifleman cuff button. Apparently they could be ordered in a Roman type font instead of the more familiar script ones. It's dated from 1808-1811 so War of 1812 era, but not necessarily related. I did also find a Federal Regiment of Artillery button from that time period:

DSC01054.JPG DSC01055.JPG

Again these are dated from 1808-1811 and is quite an uncommon find around here. The only other one I found was years back, at a tavern site. There were a handful of somewhat newer military buttons as well:

DSC01048.JPG DSC01049.JPG DSC01059.JPG DSC01062.JPG

I love how the Federal officer's button turned out after the lemon juice treatment and the backmark dates it to the 1850's. The crushed general service button is also 1850's. Finally the little button is an 1830's naval officer's cuff button.

Any one of those could be my favorite find for a site, but the next button really takes the cake and has to be the highlight of the spot!

DSC01064.JPG DSC01066.JPG

A Zachary Taylor presidential campaign button from 1848!!! :hello2: Rough & Ready was his nickname from the Second Seminole War and his military service is what made him so popular at the time so it was front-and-center on the campaign buttons.

It took a long time to clean this properly due to the construction. The back is just tinned iron and very delicate so these usually don't hold up too well in the ground, but this one turned out as close to perfect as you could ask and somehow still has a standup shank!

While those are the highlights, there are dozens more buttons and quite a few are nicely designed:

DSC01038.JPG DSC01067.JPG DSC01068.JPG DSC01069.JPG DSC01070.JPG

There's definitely more hiding at the site, but the ground will freeze solid this week so it'll have to wait for the spring. It's quite the mystery; so many relics and buttons but no money changing hands. Hopefully some more relics can shed some light on what was going on around there from 1800-1850, but it had to have been an important or popular spot to attract so many gentlemen and military men over the years. More digging is in order, but the wait is going to be a killer. :laughing7:

That Zachary Taylor button makes my year though! Talk about ending the season on a high note!

Upvote 38

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! That's awesome!

I'm thinking it was a muster point for militia and regular army with lots of men getting uniforms issued and shedding civilian clothes.

Or maybe the local "camp meeting" grounds.

There is a spot in Loudoun county VA that I got permission on a long time ago. It was an "ordinary" - which in colonial times was an inn that served meals and offered sleeping quarters to travelers. Research told us that they mustered in soldiers for the Rev War, 1812, and Civil War at this place. There was an amazing mix of relics that came out of the ground including lots of buttons (although not as many as you're finding).

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking it was a muster point for militia and regular army with lots of men getting uniforms issued and shedding civilian clothes.

Or maybe the local "camp meeting" grounds.

There is a spot in Loudoun county VA that I got permission on a long time ago. It was an "ordinary" - which in colonial times was an inn that served meals and offered sleeping quarters to travelers. Research told us that they mustered in soldiers for the Rev War, 1812, and Civil War at this place. There was an amazing mix of relics that came out of the ground including lots of buttons (although not as many as you're finding).

See that's what I was thinking too, but you'd think they'd be dropping musket balls or bullets. I found tons of bits of lead sheet cut into small pieces and many with nail holes like they were scrapped pieces being recycled so it would fit perfectly, but no finished or fired bullets. :dontknow:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible button bonanza! I have seen large amounts of buttons found near paper mills since they used rags to make paper and stripped the buttons off. Was the nearby mill a paper mill?

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Amazing! It's like a button cache. I'm not really a button expert by any means but this seems incredibly rare to ever find something like this. I'm voting banner!!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Wouldn't it make more sense that there was a bunch of clothes destroyed and the buttons are what remain?

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible button bonanza! I have seen large amounts of buttons found near paper mills since they used rags to make paper and stripped the buttons off. Was the nearby mill a paper mill?

I think you just nailed it! It explains why it's pretty much only buttons and other clothing bits. They must have had workers sitting on the hill stripping the clothing of anything metal and any coins they found they probably just pocketed. It was a very prominent mill in the town so they must have been working through loads of old clothing and these buttons are just the ones that escaped. Thank you so much; that's fantastic info!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very nice collection.Congrats

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing! It's like a button cache. I'm not really a button expert by any means but this seems incredibly rare to ever find something like this. I'm voting banner!!

Thank you; definitely not something you stumble on everyday! I've had the privilege of covering a tavern site that had never been detected before and that produced 60 or so different buttons and four military ones. Until now I thought that was as good as it gets for buttons, but this blows that out of the water!

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't it make more sense that there was a bunch of clothes destroyed and the buttons are what remain?

Only if I had found sets. All of the military buttons were singles which would be unlikely if whole uniforms were burned. The mill theory makes sense because the workers stripping the clothing likely tried to save most of the buttons for scrap and the ones I found were just the comparatively few that they lost during the process.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! What a haul. Must have been some fun signals to dig up, anywhere from pretty low tones to silver quarter signals I would guess and they all turned out to be buttons. I like Steve’s theory. Also with so many buttons and not a single thimble, something weird was going on. Congrats

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freakin amazing they must have had a RIP my button off fight day lol those would make a great display. Well done

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two things I like to find most are buttons and coppers. Amazing to see that post a few weeks ago about the guy who found all the coppers and then this....! This is the site of a lifetime!!!! To find all these in one hunt seems banner worthy to me! I really like that 1812 regiment button. What a great bunch of stuff congrats!!! It sounds like a site to ponder and dream about all winter! If they were tearing up clothes you never know you might find some coins that were sewn into the clothes.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the coolest and weirdest site I've found all year, and I only just stumbled across it! I was sweeping a steep hill in the woods with an odd furrow going down it when I hit on a flat button signal. And then another not 6 inches away, and then another... By the end of the first hunt (which was less than 3 hours long) I had over 60 buttons. The next day I found 30 more. I've been hitting the spot as hard as I can before winter sets in and I'm up over 150 buttons at this point with no end in sight!

View attachment 1780629

What's particularly odd is it's near an 1820's mill site, but it doesn't seem to be directly related to the mill. The buttons are pretty tightly grouped going down the hill, but in the direction leading away from the mill. At first I thought it was a spill from a jar, but on the last few hunts I've started to find scatter that couldn't be explained by that. The other odd aspect are the associated finds. You'd think that with all those buttons there'd be tons of coins, but nope. In fact the associated relics are pretty weird themselves:

View attachment 1780638 View attachment 1780640 View attachment 1780641 View attachment 1780642

Lots of suspenders parts and bits of clipped lead and copper. The brass tag is "VanWormer & McGarvey, Albany," dates from 1866 to 1876, and is off a stove. Only two spoon bowls and no musket balls or bullets. While I might not know what this site was, the variety and quality of buttons is nothing short of spectacular!

View attachment 1780645 View attachment 1780646 View attachment 1780647

Multiple sporting buttons including the one with the horse which I love. The last one seems to be a dog, but was run over. There area actually quite a few buttons which seem to have been run over and very solidly crushed which seems difficult given how soft the soil is around here. :dontknow:

View attachment 1780652 View attachment 1780653

Lots of colonial tombac buttons including one with a drilled shank, but no dandy buttons which was another oddity. The broken tombac has a beautiful etched pattern to it and I've been looking for the rest of it. The ground is very fine grained clay and quite moist. Initially I was worried that they would be chewed up by ground action, but it actually seemed to have preserved them better and I found a a bunch with their gilt still intact:

View attachment 1780654

I had to do a bit of a lemon juice soak, but it worked perfectly and I especially like how the 2 and 3-piece buttons ended up looking. I was also able to get many of the backmarks visible and found the corresponding info:

• Leavenworth & Kendrick “Extra Rich” (c.1830’s)
• B & Burnham “Extra” (c. 1834-1843)
• Haydens & Co “Double Gilt” (c. 1827-1840’s)
• Wadhams Coe & Co “Extra Rich” (c. 1835-1837)
• Keeler & Freeman New York “Treble Gilt” (c. ~1828-1832)
• Robinson Jones & Co (c. 1828-1836)
• Scovills “Double Gilt” (c. 1827-1840)

Quite a few different makers and not many duplicates. The best grouping are the military buttons though.

View attachment 1780655

I absolutely love finding military buttons of any sort and I've never come across such a variety in one spot. The highlight has to be this one:

View attachment 1780657 View attachment 1780658

It's a very early NY State Militia button, c. 1800-1815! These are rare to find in any condition, but with the silver wash it's absolutely gorgeous!

View attachment 1780659 View attachment 1780660

And then an 1820's or 1830's federal rifleman button which was a first for me! But not the only rifleman's button of the spot:

View attachment 1780665

This one is a Regiment of Rifleman cuff button. Apparently they could be ordered in a Roman type font instead of the more familiar script ones. It's dated from 1808-1811 so War of 1812 era, but not necessarily related. I did also find a Federal Regiment of Artillery button from that time period:

View attachment 1780669 View attachment 1780670

Again these are dated from 1808-1811 and is quite an uncommon find around here. The only other one I found was years back, at a tavern site. There were a handful of somewhat newer military buttons as well:

View attachment 1780673 View attachment 1780674 View attachment 1780675 View attachment 1780676

I love how the Federal officer's button turned out after the lemon juice treatment and the backmark dates it to the 1850's. The crushed general service button is also 1850's. Finally the little button is an 1830's naval officer's cuff button.

Any one of those could be my favorite find for a site, but the next button really takes the cake and has to be the highlight of the spot!

View attachment 1780677 View attachment 1780678

A Zachary Taylor presidential campaign button from 1848!!! :hello2: Rough & Ready was his nickname from the Second Seminole War and his military service is what made him so popular at the time so it was front-and-center on the campaign buttons.

It took a long time to clean this properly due to the construction. The back is just tinned iron and very delicate so these usually don't hold up too well in the ground, but this one turned out as close to perfect as you could ask and somehow still has a standup shank!

While those are the highlights, there are dozens more buttons and quite a few are nicely designed:

View attachment 1780651 View attachment 1780679 View attachment 1780680 View attachment 1780681 View attachment 1780682

There's definitely more hiding at the site, but the ground will freeze solid this week so it'll have to wait for the spring. It's quite the mystery; so many relics and buttons but no money changing hands. Hopefully some more relics can shed some light on what was going on around there from 1800-1850, but it had to have been an important or popular spot to attract so many gentlemen and military men over the years. More digging is in order, but the wait is going to be a killer. :laughing7:

That Zachary Taylor button makes my year though! Talk about ending the season on a high note!

I'm speechless & got excited thinking of what digging all those Early or Mid 1800's button's
&
That Z .T. ' rough & ready ' is in amazing condition ...it was waiting for you.
Davers

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Great site,

Some of my best sites have came from just being out there and stumbling onto them.

Who knows how they all got there.

I'd dig that site until there was nothing left but threshold from the machine.

Jer

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

This makes a lot of sense. I've never heard that before. Learned something today! :icon_thumright:

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was an old wool mill, they would have removed the buttons from any old wool clothing prior to "recycling" the material. Probably just a dumping spot for the buttons/trash. I believe there was some other postings on here a few years back where people were finding TONS of old buttons in the woods near an old woolen mill.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you just nailed it! It explains why it's pretty much only buttons and other clothing bits. They must have had workers sitting on the hill stripping the clothing of anything metal and any coins they found they probably just pocketed. It was a very prominent mill in the town so they must have been working through loads of old clothing and these buttons are just the ones that escaped. Thank you so much; that's fantastic info!
I have seen posts and stories where people have located large button dumps near paper mills. I myself have found well over 200 buttons and dozens of suspender clips near an old paper mill, granted I am working the areas where the old worker houses stood.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread