paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the coolest and weirdest site I've found all year, and I only just stumbled across it! I was sweeping a steep hill in the woods with an odd furrow going down it when I hit on a flat button signal. And then another not 6 inches away, and then another... By the end of the first hunt (which was less than 3 hours long) I had over 60 buttons. The next day I found 30 more. I've been hitting the spot as hard as I can before winter sets in and I'm up over 150 buttons at this point with no end in sight!

DSC01031.JPG

What's particularly odd is it's near an 1820's mill site, but it doesn't seem to be directly related to the mill. The buttons are pretty tightly grouped going down the hill, but in the direction leading away from the mill. At first I thought it was a spill from a jar, but on the last few hunts I've started to find scatter that couldn't be explained by that. The other odd aspect are the associated finds. You'd think that with all those buttons there'd be tons of coins, but nope. In fact the associated relics are pretty weird themselves:

DSC01071.JPG DSC01074.JPG DSC01075.JPG DSC01076.JPG

Lots of suspenders parts and bits of clipped lead and copper. The brass tag is "VanWormer & McGarvey, Albany," dates from 1866 to 1876, and is off a stove. Only two spoon bowls and no musket balls or bullets. While I might not know what this site was, the variety and quality of buttons is nothing short of spectacular!

DSC01033.JPG DSC01034.JPG DSC01037.JPG

Multiple sporting buttons including the one with the horse which I love. The last one seems to be a dog, but was run over. There area actually quite a few buttons which seem to have been run over and very solidly crushed which seems difficult given how soft the soil is around here. :dontknow:

DSC01044.JPG DSC01045.JPG

Lots of colonial tombac buttons including one with a drilled shank, but no dandy buttons which was another oddity. The broken tombac has a beautiful etched pattern to it and I've been looking for the rest of it. The ground is very fine grained clay and quite moist. Initially I was worried that they would be chewed up by ground action, but it actually seemed to have preserved them better and I found a a bunch with their gilt still intact:

DSC01040.JPG

I had to do a bit of a lemon juice soak, but it worked perfectly and I especially like how the 2 and 3-piece buttons ended up looking. I was also able to get many of the backmarks visible and found the corresponding info:

• Leavenworth & Kendrick “Extra Rich” (c.1830’s)
• B & Burnham “Extra” (c. 1834-1843)
• Haydens & Co “Double Gilt” (c. 1827-1840’s)
• Wadhams Coe & Co “Extra Rich” (c. 1835-1837)
• Keeler & Freeman New York “Treble Gilt” (c. ~1828-1832)
• Robinson Jones & Co (c. 1828-1836)
• Scovills “Double Gilt” (c. 1827-1840)

Quite a few different makers and not many duplicates. The best grouping are the military buttons though.

DSC01046.JPG

I absolutely love finding military buttons of any sort and I've never come across such a variety in one spot. The highlight has to be this one:

DSC01051.JPG DSC01052.JPG

It's a very early NY State Militia button, c. 1800-1815! These are rare to find in any condition, but with the silver wash it's absolutely gorgeous!

DSC01057.JPG DSC01058.JPG

And then an 1820's or 1830's federal rifleman button which was a first for me! But not the only rifleman's button of the spot:

DSC01060.JPG

This one is a Regiment of Rifleman cuff button. Apparently they could be ordered in a Roman type font instead of the more familiar script ones. It's dated from 1808-1811 so War of 1812 era, but not necessarily related. I did also find a Federal Regiment of Artillery button from that time period:

DSC01054.JPG DSC01055.JPG

Again these are dated from 1808-1811 and is quite an uncommon find around here. The only other one I found was years back, at a tavern site. There were a handful of somewhat newer military buttons as well:

DSC01048.JPG DSC01049.JPG DSC01059.JPG DSC01062.JPG

I love how the Federal officer's button turned out after the lemon juice treatment and the backmark dates it to the 1850's. The crushed general service button is also 1850's. Finally the little button is an 1830's naval officer's cuff button.

Any one of those could be my favorite find for a site, but the next button really takes the cake and has to be the highlight of the spot!

DSC01064.JPG DSC01066.JPG

A Zachary Taylor presidential campaign button from 1848!!! :hello2: Rough & Ready was his nickname from the Second Seminole War and his military service is what made him so popular at the time so it was front-and-center on the campaign buttons.

It took a long time to clean this properly due to the construction. The back is just tinned iron and very delicate so these usually don't hold up too well in the ground, but this one turned out as close to perfect as you could ask and somehow still has a standup shank!

While those are the highlights, there are dozens more buttons and quite a few are nicely designed:

DSC01038.JPG DSC01067.JPG DSC01068.JPG DSC01069.JPG DSC01070.JPG

There's definitely more hiding at the site, but the ground will freeze solid this week so it'll have to wait for the spring. It's quite the mystery; so many relics and buttons but no money changing hands. Hopefully some more relics can shed some light on what was going on around there from 1800-1850, but it had to have been an important or popular spot to attract so many gentlemen and military men over the years. More digging is in order, but the wait is going to be a killer. :laughing7:

That Zachary Taylor button makes my year though! Talk about ending the season on a high note!

Upvote 38

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was an old wool mill, they would have removed the buttons from any old wool clothing prior to "recycling" the material. Probably just a dumping spot for the buttons/trash. I believe there was some other postings on here a few years back where people were finding TONS of old buttons in the woods near an old woolen mill.
I didn't know that woolen mills "recycled" old wool. I thought they would just be taking sheep's wool and turning it into bolts of woolen fabric. I think that most used wool went into fiber for paper mills.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen posts and stories where people have located large button dumps near paper mills. I myself have found well over 200 buttons and dozens of suspender clips near an old paper mill, granted I am working the areas where the old worker houses stood.

So you think they may have had a dump where they tossed the buttons as opposed to recycling them for the brass? I was thinking that this was the work spot and then they weathered down the hill over the years because of how evenly distributed they were around. If there was a singular dump spot would they have dug a pit somewhere? If so that's what I need to be looking for!

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Wow! Very cool! I like the paper mill theory. How about someone doing laundry for hire?

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exit sluce for the mill. All those buttons probably got torn off clothing while they were wrestling logs. Water sent them down the hill in the wash.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably a paper mill. They would take old clothing, reprocess it into paper and toss the buttons.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the buttons being the remains from old clothes and rags being used in relation to the mill is probably correct. The only alternative that comes to mind, is if the buttons came to rest where they are now as a result of being discarded some distance away from the mill as part of the chamber pot refuse. Nearly all folks used rags as TP back then, and the used rags and any buttons you may have pulled off before wiping would go out with the pot to be dumped, and would not be worth recycling at that point to most folks. Lots of buttons dug in privies for the same reason.

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn’t get any better. I would take this hunt over a gold coin or two any day, any year! Awesome!!

aj

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot I apologize but Banner all day long and a few days after. Tommy

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just wow
Hope u find more

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you think they may have had a dump where they tossed the buttons as opposed to recycling them for the brass? I was thinking that this was the work spot and then they weathered down the hill over the years because of how evenly distributed they were around. If there was a singular dump spot would they have dug a pit somewhere? If so that's what I need to be looking for!
I have seen articles in W&E Treasures and American Digger about large dumps full of buttons that were associated with paper mills. One was found by Bill Ladd in I believe Rhode Island. It's a well known fact that paper mills in the 19th century collected rags to add fiber to the paper. Whether there is a concentrated dump nearby may be difficult to determine. I have not been able to find one near the paper mill I've been hunting.
If you Google "paper mill button dump" you will get hits on YouTube videos of people digging such dumps.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool bunch of buttons - CONGRATS

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DUUUUDE!
That NY Militia button you found is indeed rare. I found a pair of them with gold gilt a few years back - the first two buttons I ever found:

cleaned2.jpg

I love the silver wash on yours! Congrats on all so many great buttons!

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congrats on a great haul. Absolutely mind blowing.

That button in the 6th image that you think may be a dog looks an awful lot like the back side of how a dinosaur was drawn. Tail towards the viewer to get an idea of the size of "it".
If I understand correctly, the "brontosaurus" as depicted until only 5 years ago, was actually a montage of many different dinosaurs with the bones incorrectly joined together.
Brontosaurus LINK

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a cache of buttons. It looks like Christmas has come a lil' early to your house. That is a great variety of old Historical buttons. Very Well Done and a Hewge' Congrats. Think of all the fun you'll have just dreaming of the buttons waiting to be found by you on your next return trip and Hunt. What a Great display and story you'll have to go along with this button bonanza. Merry Christmas.

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this button find is interesting in manifold ways, especially historically, and very unusual. I am voting banner.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this button find is interesting in manifold ways, especially historically, and very unusual. I am voting banner.

Thank you so much! This spot really has been fascinating, not only because of the finds themselves, but the history around them. DCMatt has been doing some awesome research on the area and the mill was indeed a paper mill using rags as part of the process. Apparently there was also a second paper mill downriver just a bit that was in operation during almost the same years as this one. Both were abandoned in the 1890's when the process they used became less profitable compared to newer methods.

These buttons were removed from the rags along with any other metal or ceramic bits that could damage the pulping knives and rollers. The crushed buttons I've found were likely ones that they missed and went through the rollers. There are some spots I need to check for button dumps based on the new information and I definitely need to check out the second mill site when the spring comes around. Until then there's a lot more research to be done!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am speechless to be honest. I do not even know what to say. One of the most interesting post I have seen in a long time. You in no time have a massive desirable button collection!
Merry Christmas.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am speechless to be honest. I do not even know what to say. One of the most interesting post I have seen in a long time. You in no time have a massive desirable button collection!
Merry Christmas.

Thank you so much! Buttons have always been one of my favorite relics to dig and this spot has been a dream to explore. Definitely my best new spot of the year and I'm so glad I posted it because the info I've gotten from you guys has been amazing. Talk about a learning experience! :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread