paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the coolest and weirdest site I've found all year, and I only just stumbled across it! I was sweeping a steep hill in the woods with an odd furrow going down it when I hit on a flat button signal. And then another not 6 inches away, and then another... By the end of the first hunt (which was less than 3 hours long) I had over 60 buttons. The next day I found 30 more. I've been hitting the spot as hard as I can before winter sets in and I'm up over 150 buttons at this point with no end in sight!

DSC01031.JPG

What's particularly odd is it's near an 1820's mill site, but it doesn't seem to be directly related to the mill. The buttons are pretty tightly grouped going down the hill, but in the direction leading away from the mill. At first I thought it was a spill from a jar, but on the last few hunts I've started to find scatter that couldn't be explained by that. The other odd aspect are the associated finds. You'd think that with all those buttons there'd be tons of coins, but nope. In fact the associated relics are pretty weird themselves:

DSC01071.JPG DSC01074.JPG DSC01075.JPG DSC01076.JPG

Lots of suspenders parts and bits of clipped lead and copper. The brass tag is "VanWormer & McGarvey, Albany," dates from 1866 to 1876, and is off a stove. Only two spoon bowls and no musket balls or bullets. While I might not know what this site was, the variety and quality of buttons is nothing short of spectacular!

DSC01033.JPG DSC01034.JPG DSC01037.JPG

Multiple sporting buttons including the one with the horse which I love. The last one seems to be a dog, but was run over. There area actually quite a few buttons which seem to have been run over and very solidly crushed which seems difficult given how soft the soil is around here. :dontknow:

DSC01044.JPG DSC01045.JPG

Lots of colonial tombac buttons including one with a drilled shank, but no dandy buttons which was another oddity. The broken tombac has a beautiful etched pattern to it and I've been looking for the rest of it. The ground is very fine grained clay and quite moist. Initially I was worried that they would be chewed up by ground action, but it actually seemed to have preserved them better and I found a a bunch with their gilt still intact:

DSC01040.JPG

I had to do a bit of a lemon juice soak, but it worked perfectly and I especially like how the 2 and 3-piece buttons ended up looking. I was also able to get many of the backmarks visible and found the corresponding info:

• Leavenworth & Kendrick “Extra Rich” (c.1830’s)
• B & Burnham “Extra” (c. 1834-1843)
• Haydens & Co “Double Gilt” (c. 1827-1840’s)
• Wadhams Coe & Co “Extra Rich” (c. 1835-1837)
• Keeler & Freeman New York “Treble Gilt” (c. ~1828-1832)
• Robinson Jones & Co (c. 1828-1836)
• Scovills “Double Gilt” (c. 1827-1840)

Quite a few different makers and not many duplicates. The best grouping are the military buttons though.

DSC01046.JPG

I absolutely love finding military buttons of any sort and I've never come across such a variety in one spot. The highlight has to be this one:

DSC01051.JPG DSC01052.JPG

It's a very early NY State Militia button, c. 1800-1815! These are rare to find in any condition, but with the silver wash it's absolutely gorgeous!

DSC01057.JPG DSC01058.JPG

And then an 1820's or 1830's federal rifleman button which was a first for me! But not the only rifleman's button of the spot:

DSC01060.JPG

This one is a Regiment of Rifleman cuff button. Apparently they could be ordered in a Roman type font instead of the more familiar script ones. It's dated from 1808-1811 so War of 1812 era, but not necessarily related. I did also find a Federal Regiment of Artillery button from that time period:

DSC01054.JPG DSC01055.JPG

Again these are dated from 1808-1811 and is quite an uncommon find around here. The only other one I found was years back, at a tavern site. There were a handful of somewhat newer military buttons as well:

DSC01048.JPG DSC01049.JPG DSC01059.JPG DSC01062.JPG

I love how the Federal officer's button turned out after the lemon juice treatment and the backmark dates it to the 1850's. The crushed general service button is also 1850's. Finally the little button is an 1830's naval officer's cuff button.

Any one of those could be my favorite find for a site, but the next button really takes the cake and has to be the highlight of the spot!

DSC01064.JPG DSC01066.JPG

A Zachary Taylor presidential campaign button from 1848!!! :hello2: Rough & Ready was his nickname from the Second Seminole War and his military service is what made him so popular at the time so it was front-and-center on the campaign buttons.

It took a long time to clean this properly due to the construction. The back is just tinned iron and very delicate so these usually don't hold up too well in the ground, but this one turned out as close to perfect as you could ask and somehow still has a standup shank!

While those are the highlights, there are dozens more buttons and quite a few are nicely designed:

DSC01038.JPG DSC01067.JPG DSC01068.JPG DSC01069.JPG DSC01070.JPG

There's definitely more hiding at the site, but the ground will freeze solid this week so it'll have to wait for the spring. It's quite the mystery; so many relics and buttons but no money changing hands. Hopefully some more relics can shed some light on what was going on around there from 1800-1850, but it had to have been an important or popular spot to attract so many gentlemen and military men over the years. More digging is in order, but the wait is going to be a killer. :laughing7:

That Zachary Taylor button makes my year though! Talk about ending the season on a high note!

Upvote 38

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett GTI 2500, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I truly enjoyed reading through your entire post, what an amazing collection of finds Max! :occasion14:
I've detected a number of woollen, grist and lumber mill sites here in Ontario, but I've never made finds in quantity like yours.

You've inspired me to now research for paper mills in my area. :thumbsup:
Dave

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Any idea what this piece is and how it relates to the other relics that you found at the site Max? :icon_scratch:

Dave

Attachments

• DSC01076-crop.JPG
    DSC01076-crop.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 38

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any idea what this piece is and how it relates to the other relics that you found at the site Max? :icon_scratch:

Dave

It's a broken off tip of a skeleton key.

I really enjoyed doing research on this find. Thanks to paleomaxx for sharing. Now I know way more than I need to about making rag paper in the 19th Century.

It fascinates me to see the complex processes people went through back then to get something that today is as ubiquitous and disposable as paper.

It makes you wonder what we do today that will make people in 200 years roll their eyes and shake their heads in disbelief.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is what I call a button collection ! Love those military buttons. Those should all display very nicely.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paleo, first off, congrats on exploring and finding such an awesome spot. Its an incredible collection so far, and I'd bet there are a lot more waiting too!

I think the theory of the dump from the mill is the most likely. I would treat the finds like a mining prospector. They have probably been scattered down the hill from the main dump over time and you need to work up the slope until you stop finding any more items (or to the tip of the hill if it goes that far). When you run out of targets, get a 4 - 5 foot bottle probe and start checking the area for a buried trash pit.

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing finds. Button dumps and coin dumps on here give me hope :notworthy:

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing! A lifetime's worth of button finds for many of us. Congrats!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer hunts, fantastic site! :occasion14:

Gregg3131

May 24, 2015
Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Limited Edition
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible collection

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on all those button, you found some real nice ones!
That is awesome you were able to find documentation of that site being a paper mill.
If you are curious, here is a video about paper in the 18th and 19th centuries:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread