Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Buttons from Today's Hunt Including Unusual "James Burk/Philadelphia" Backmark

Well the power is back on and all is well again in South Jersey. Winds have now died down to a soft breeze, but let me tell you that when I was out detecting in the woods this morning with my buddies, we had to beware of falling limbs and branches!

I went back to the site that I found my second set of colonial silver cufflinks yesterday (http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,383724.0.html). The wind was so loud that at times I could not hear the threshold of my detector and it slowed me down a bit, but I still manages some nice buttons including a collar button, a spun-back button and some great backmarks including W. WALLIS and a sweet button with the Gilt remaining on the back. I am not familiar with the backmark, JAMES BURK/PHILADELPHIA. Maybe someone has information on the maker.

016.JPG

012.JPG

Thanks for looking!
Neil

Upvote 0

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Buttons from Today's Hunt Including Unusual "James Burk/Philadelphia" Backmark

Nice group of buttons :icon_thumright: Congrats!!!

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Buttons from Today's Hunt Including Unusual "James Burk/Philadelphia" Backmark

Nice assortment of buttons!
No listings for that backmark in Tice :icon_scratch:

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"

That's some serious gilt on that button. Nice.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

HCW said:
That's some serious gilt on that button. Nice.

90 of the buttons I find at this site are not even identifiable, so finding any with the backmark and gilt remaining is even more amazing.

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wow that thing is shiny. Very nice. Front is toast I take it?

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great buttons, congrats

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Elad said:
Wow that thing is shiny. Very nice. Front is toast I take it?

Toasted like the roll of a Philly Cheesesteak!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

James Burk in most likelyhood was not a button maker but a merchant who had his name put on the back of the button that perhaps was made by Benedict & Burnham, since their gilded buttons seemed to be of high quality like yours. Many, many buttons that have names on the back are not the makers name but a merchant who paid to have his name on the back on dry goods he was selling.
There was a James Burk at 15 South Front St Philiadelphia in the right era, not sure if it was the Sr or Jr, but I would estimate the button to be the same era as the Benedict buttons, 1834-1843 time frame.

I know there are TNet members who have access to the Philadelphia City Directory for that time frame and they should be able to look up that name, address and see if in fact they were mechants that would have dealt with clothing containing buttons.

If a James Burk, either the father or the son James was a clothing merchant than I think that would be your answer, but I can saw with some certainty there was no button company/maker by the name of James Burk.

No. 85. MRS. JAMES BURK. (1792-1873).

In 1827, signed "T S". 36" x 28".

Nee Richards, a native of England, wife of James Burk, commission mer-
chant
, with his business at 15 South Front Street, Philadelphia. Their
residence at the time of the painting of the portrait was the Gothic Man-
sion, on the north side of Chestnut Street between 12th and 13th Streets.
She died at 2012 Vine Street and was interred in Laurel Hill Cemetery. In
her will, dated 1866, she leaves to her daughter Julia Johnson "the two
oil paintings of myself and my dearly beloved Husband ; being of a similar
size and hanging in the Parlor." A son James, born in Philadelphia in
1 81 7, was matriculated at the University of Pennsylvania in 1837.

Don

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Don in SJ said:
James Burk in most likelyhood was not a button maker but a merchant who had his name put on the back of the button that perhaps was made by Benedict & Burnham, since their gilded buttons seemed to be of high quality like yours. Many, many buttons that have names on the back are not the makers name but a merchant who paid to have his name on the back on dry goods he was selling.
There was a James Burk at 15 South Front St Philiadelphia in the right era, not sure if it was the Sr or Jr, but I would estimate the button to be the same era as the Benedict buttons, 1834-1843 time frame.

I know there are TNet members who have access to the Philadelphia City Directory for that time frame and they should be able to look up that name, address and see if in fact they were mechants that would have dealt with clothing containing buttons.

If a James Burk, either the father or the son James was a clothing merchant than I think that would be your answer, but I can saw with some certainty there was no button company/maker by the name of James Burk.

No. 85. MRS. JAMES BURK. (1792-1873).

In 1827, signed "T S". 36" x 28".

Nee Richards, a native of England, wife of James Burk, commission mer-
chant
, with his business at 15 South Front Street, Philadelphia. Their
residence at the time of the painting of the portrait was the Gothic Man-
sion, on the north side of Chestnut Street between 12th and 13th Streets.
She died at 2012 Vine Street and was interred in Laurel Hill Cemetery. In
her will, dated 1866, she leaves to her daughter Julia Johnson "the two
oil paintings of myself and my dearly beloved Husband ; being of a similar
size and hanging in the Parlor." A son James, born in Philadelphia in
1 81 7, was matriculated at the University of Pennsylvania in 1837.

Don

Thanks, Don. I should have guessed that it may have been a merchant. I found enough Wannamaker buttons to realize that the merchant's name sometimes appear on the buttons, not the button maker's.

I did a quick online search and also found reference to a James Burk, who opened an upscale clothing shop on NY's (what was then mostly residential) Wall Street in 1821. According to what I read, he was originally accountant and a "commission merchant" before becoming a "non-tailor" clothier in Philadelphia in 1817.

Another search result shows the receipt for a purchase: "Receipt for Richard Ashhurst from James Burk for 10 plaid cloaks. November, 1822." So there are other possibilities.

If I recall, the Collingswood Library has Philadelphia directories going back as far as the late 18th century. Thanks for your help in pointing me in the right direction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread