Buying a Pinpointer

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used the Merlin SXL Pro and the Fisher F-Point. I like them both, in that order. The Merlin has a momentary switch (only on while you keep the buttoin pressed) and is faster to bring into action (and has a headlight and indicator light, buzzer and vibration alert). It is a bit delicate and I baby it to keep it clean (the battery door I have to tape shut to keep attached and keep dirt out). The F-Point has to be turned on and set for sensitivity (only one knob for both) or just left on (battery wasteful and EM noise the detector detects) but is grime/water-resistant and physicaly handier.

The Automax V4 is HUGE. Personally, I wouldn't want to carry that around.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
the automax is big and flimsey.it works ok though, but be prepared to have to glue the probe back on. i have broken three and i am not overly hard on them. i would try to buy one on ebay for cheaper. $79 is kinda steep if you ask me considering the quality.

OP
OP
M

minelab rick

Jul 1, 2006
Charlottesville, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Thanks for the replies.I called Kelly Co and the guy I spoke to recommended the vibraprobe over the automax for the same reasons you guys listed. I'll check e-bay next to see what's out there.

Thanks again

Rick

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
minelab rick said:
Getting ready to buy a pinpointer and wanted everyones feed back on what's hot and what's not. Kelly co has the Automax V4 on sale for $79.00. How about It?

The vibraprobe is water proof,and is good,the automax does pick up good,but awkward to use, I paid 1,190.28 for my automax,But it came with my minelab.

diggndeep

Greenie
Jun 29, 2004
Utah
Detector(s) used
Explorer II w/X-1 probe - GMT
The BEST you can use would be the Sunray X-1. Stays right on the shaft, toggles between the coil & itself. All the others you have to pack in a pocket, too much stuff already. Just my 2 cents...... DD

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
diggndeep said:
The BEST you can use would be the Sunray X-1. Stays right on the shaft, toggles between the coil & itself. All the others you have to pack in a pocket, too much stuff already. Just my 2 cents...... DD

I agree. If they'd get off their laurels and make a version compatable with my F-75 I'd snatch one up in a heartbeat. I've written and begged.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I have a Vibraprobe does a great job,waterproof,very rugged. Since you have a Minelab I would say spend the xtra cash and get the sunray probe. The vibraprobes are great for the easy stuff(coin in side of hole,earring lost in woodchip pile) the Sunray is for the hardcore deep hole cant find the target,I wish Id went the extra mile and got one so I wouldnt have to wish I could find the target at the bottom of the 9 inch hole,HH...Shoot

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I have a bullseye II and a vibrabrobe. the vibrabrobe goes just about everywhere with me. You can't beat it for ruggedness and reliability... and since i tend to do most of my detecting at the beach, the waterproof factor is a huge sell for me

steve

R

RUDY2003

I agree with spez, I too have a vibraprobe and it's excelent for about $100....
Keep safe...

Fleeker

Jan 28, 2007
Hohenwald, Tn.
Detector(s) used
ATPro, GTI 1500, Ace 250 and a ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want a good pinpointer at a reasonable price, you should consider the Wizard Vib Probe II. You can get it for $37.95 from mytoostore.com , plus shipping. However, you might want to modify it so that it is turned on by pulling the trigger instead of using the thumbwheel each time. If you need to know how just email me. I also use a clip on cellphone case for a holster. You don't even know it's there while clipped onto your belt.

Attachments

• Dsc00011.jpg
    Dsc00011.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 319
  • Dsc00013.jpg
    Dsc00013.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 299

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I agree with Charlie. The best probe you can get for the Explorer is the Sun Ray. It stays with the machine and will go up to 3 inches deep as opposed to a Vibra Probe where you have less than an inch. I use the Vibra Probe with my f75 while waiting for Sun Ray to come out with an in-line for it. Come on Ralph!!

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few quick points about the Sunray Probe. Very good probe, You will forget to switch back to the coil a few times when you begin. The unit adds weight to the detector, " Nothing says you can,t keep the probe in a pouch on your waist while detecting to keep the weight off you arm.

Ed D.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I still forget sometimes and really feel like an idiot when I have gone about 20 feet before I realize my error and have to re trace my steps >:( >:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions