Cache Hunting research

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
Ok, for the most part all I've ever found is the occasional spill cache.
Obviously you can't just go up to the rest home and shake people
down for information on where they buried their milk jug so...
Where's a decent place to look for possible cache sites?
What books/public records would someone look through?
That sorta thing is the cache I'm looking for at the moment :)

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
Suggestion: those same old folks would be happy to tell you about moonshiners they knew. Or outlaws they knew. Or corrupt public officials they knew. Then look for one who didn't have children to spend daddy's money. Then trace down where he lived. The cache (if any) will be where he could see it without leaving the house. You will probably have to work through 100 prospects to get one hot lead. Good luck and happy hunting, or more properly, happy research.

Chip V.

OP
OP
C

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
yeahhh...not many moonshiners or outlaws in Nebraska though. Ok, Jesse James maybe, but he was mostly Missouri. Spose the childless people are the best shot :)

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Get them talking about banks, did they ever lose money because of bank failure.
They might let you know they didn't trust banks back in the 30's. Ask what did
folks do to keep their money safe.
Caches were places ordinary as well as rich people hid valuables. Spills are not
caches. See if your library has "Tressure Hunter's Manuals #6 and #7 by Karl
von Mueller. If not go to Amazon.com. The best lessons of where and why
people hid their money and why many were never recovered. Then you have
to use your imagination and research. Old timers are prime sources. Don't
think you will just go out detecting and sooner or later you wil hit one.
One more thing, if you don't like libraries or books or old maps, this venue of
treasure hunting is not for you.

K

Kentucky Kache

SWR said:
Oddly enough, most of the old timers I know or have known had no money to bury in the first place. For reasons unknown, cache hunters seem to be mesmerized into believing the masses had extra money lying around to hide back in the thirty's. :icon_scratch:

I would try again to explain it to you, but it's like spinning my wheels.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
SWR said:
Oddly enough, most of the old timers I know or have known had no money to bury in the first place. For reasons unknown, cache hunters seem to be mesmerized into believing the masses had extra money lying around to hide back in the thirty's. :icon_scratch:
Oddly enough my family were dirt poor in the depression in the thirties. They were still richer than people whom had money because they busted their tail to earn a meager living and plant a garden, sew and mend their own cloths,raise goats and chickens for eggs, meat and milk. They even saved a few silver dollars and silver dimes and quarters in mason jars. It was not extra money but hard earned money that was not turned into the banks.

If you did not trust banks yesterday, then you don't trust them today or tomarrow. If that's the case, then where is your money? In your pocket, mattress, hidden in the wall, buried in the yard? Invested in collectible items?

I don't trust anyone to hold my money for me and I have more then two nickels to rub together. How about you?

I'm patriotic but I'm the one that earned my money and earned the right to hold it, spend it and invest it my way. The banks didn't earn the right to hold my money or the freedom to spend it or squander it. You have the freedom to hold, spend or hide your money the way you see fit.

K

Kentucky Kache

SWR said:
Seamuss said:
Oddly enough my family were dirt poor in the depression in the thirties.

No. That is not odd, but the norm for being in the depression in the thirties. I am glad to hear they survived, and salted away a few silver coins in a glass jar.

This might come as a surprise, but a few silver coins salted away in a glass jar would be known as a cache, which is the target object of cache hunters.

K

Kentucky Kache

SWR said:
Cache Crazy said:
SWR said:
Seamuss said:

No. That is not odd, but the norm for being in the depression in the thirties. I am glad to hear they survived, and salted away a few silver coins in a glass jar.

This might come as a surprise, but a few silver coins salted away in a glass jar would be known as a cache, which is the target object of cache hunters.

I must have missed the part where they buried the glass jar and forgot where it was ::)

No one said THEY did. Some people did. How do we know? Because some have been found. Can't argue with proof like that, can you?

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Detector(s) used
SWR said:
Cache Crazy said:
SWR said:
Seamuss said:

I must have missed the part where they buried the glass jar and forgot where it was ::)
My aunt is ninety now. She thinks she is going to take it with her when she goes. She doesn't remember that some of the younger family members where already given some of the family silver. I have about three dozen morgans and ten dollars worth of dimes and quarters(face value) that grandma gave me years ago. That generation had sometimers also. Sometimes they remembered and sometimes they didn't

I feel rich because I was taught the value of life over the value of money because I only have one life and money will come and go as easy as water on a ducks back. Well, maybe not easy as it sounds.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I heard this expression from depression era relatives "Root hog or die".
Without the safety nets we have now the depression hardened and honed
them to always "make do". As far as extra money or extra anything in the
40s I wasn't exposed to it and never heard talk of anyone burying a fortune.
Sure there are bonafide caches out there I guess but the only ones I am
sure of were of ordinary people finding a windfall like gold bars or coins and
then hiding them for safekeeping. And most of those were recovered later.
The big treasures we mostly hear of were found by accident.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seamuss said:
SWR said:
Oddly enough my family were dirt poor in the depression in the thirties. They were still richer than people whom had money because they busted their tail to earn a meager living and plant a garden, sew and mend their own cloths,raise goats and chickens for eggs, meat and milk. They even saved a few silver dollars and silver dimes and quarters in mason jars. It was not extra money but hard earned money that was not turned into the banks.

If you did not trust banks yesterday, then you don't trust them today or tomarrow. If that's the case, then where is your money? In your pocket, mattress, hidden in the wall, buried in the yard? Invested in collectible items?

I don't trust anyone to hold my money for me and I have more then two nickels to rub together. How about you?

I'm patriotic but I'm the one that earned my money and earned the right to hold it, spend it and invest it my way. The banks didn't earn the right to hold my money or the freedom to spend it or squander it. You have the freedom to hold, spend or hide your money the way you see fit.
CAN I GET AN AMEN!!!!

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Detector(s) used
jog said:
Seamuss said:
SWR said:

CAN I GET AN AMEN!!!!
I second that. All those in favor. Amen

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Detector(s) used
Cache Crazy said:
SWR said:
Seamuss said:

Yes and I learned to reuse and recycle from my family before the word recycle was used in a public vocabulary.

My aunts house will take weeks to empty out from her saving every little thing to reuse. The word hoard makes me thing of her every time I hear it. Some of the stuff is even valuable.

OP
OP
C

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
wow...didn't realize my post was gonna start a put up
or shut up debate lol

Ron in Nebr

Apr 14, 2008
CowboyKolo said:
yeahhh...not many moonshiners or outlaws in Nebraska though. Ok, Jesse James maybe, but he was mostly Missouri. Spose the childless people are the best shot :)

Check into your local history a bit better if possible. I live in north central Nebraska, and about 20 years ago a county history book was published that included a good section on the effects that nationwide prohibition had in our area. There WERE moonshiners in Nebraska- the book talks about raids on several local moonshine operations that were described as being very professionally run that produced a very large amount of 'shine. One of these locations is pretty close to where I live, hopefully I'll be able to check it out someday. Remember, like I mentioned, prohibition was nationwide, and people were thirsty nationwide. The southeast wasn't the only place where moonshine was made. Also, this book mentions stills being raided long after prohibition was repealled, at least up into 1940's.

As for outlaws, Nebraska had it's fair share too. Up where I'm from Doc Middleton was the one who's most talked about- all kinds of stories about him exist including entire hidden underground corrals where he kept his stolen herds of horses. Read also once about somebody's grandpa telling a story about some $70,000 being stolen off a train near Seneca NE back in the 1880's or so, with no mention of it ever being recovered....haven't been able to find any more info on that though. And I'm sure there's more, especially if a person took the time to sift through old newspapers in libraries and local historical societies.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Aw now, we all just need to cool our heals a little.
Caches are out there.

Some are Big. They are few and far between.
Some are Small. They are many and not far between.

Many are found and never mentioned.
Many are bloviated over time.

I just want to find the one I am searching for. :thumbsup:

K

Kentucky Kache

Actually, EVERYBODY had money back then. They didn't have MUCH of it, and I guess that was a pretty good reason for hiding it. These small caches are the ones I would mostly look for. Big ticket caches are few, and I wouldn't waste my time on most of them, unless you have a lead that gives you reason to believe.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
I agree CC. At this time, I am doing the lead thing. :thumbsup:

ldablo

Apr 21, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Master Hunter CX Plus