Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Kentucky Kache said:
SWR said:
Cache Crazy said:
SWR said:
Seamuss said:
Oddly enough my family were dirt poor in the depression in the thirties.

No. That is not odd, but the norm for being in the depression in the thirties. I am glad to hear they survived, and salted away a few silver coins in a glass jar.

This might come as a surprise, but a few silver coins salted away in a glass jar would be known as a cache, which is the target object of cache hunters.

I must have missed the part where they buried the glass jar and forgot where it was ::)

No one said THEY did. Some people did. How do we know? Because some have been found. Can't argue with proof like that, can you?
Of course he can.. Arguing about damn near everything is why he gets out of bed in the morning... :argue:

K

Kentucky Kache

NHBandit said:
Kentucky Kache said:
SWR said:
Cache Crazy said:
SWR said:
Seamuss said:
Oddly enough my family were dirt poor in the depression in the thirties.

No. That is not odd, but the norm for being in the depression in the thirties. I am glad to hear they survived, and salted away a few silver coins in a glass jar.

This might come as a surprise, but a few silver coins salted away in a glass jar would be known as a cache, which is the target object of cache hunters.

I must have missed the part where they buried the glass jar and forgot where it was ::)

No one said THEY did. Some people did. How do we know? Because some have been found. Can't argue with proof like that, can you?
Of course he can.. Arguing about damn near everything is why he gets out of bed in the morning... :argue:

You got that right.

Billonthehill

Greenie
Nov 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
Do not own one yet.
I have just read thru this thread and it jiggled loose a memory.

Lannie had silver. He traded manure for silver dollars. He had the largest manure company in the city. His office was a trailer house next to the mountains of cow, sheep and chicken manure piles. On his cluttered desks were jars of silver dollars.

He would trade one yard of manure for one silver dollar. It was 1976.

Manure was seven dollars a yard.

Today one yard of manure is twenty six dollars from manure yards in the city.

or one silver dollar.

Lannie liked to bury coins. He had a two acre junkyard around his house five miles away from his manure company. He would go home from work in the evening and bury mason jars full of silver dollars. Below the junk cars.

He had a map.

One day Lannie died. He had never married and had no children. The estate was in probate for years. The map has never been found. The junkyard changed hands. Many times. Cars sat and rusted......

As far as I know the property still sits with rusting autos. Waiting for urban renewal.

And Lannies treasure to be found. Jar after jar of silver dollars. Maybe thirty years worth he buried. Perhaps tens of thousands. He never trusted banks. He was rich beyond belief and a simple humble man. He kept every dollar he ever made. In silver.

I know. He told me. Not all of it but most. Before he died. A long time ago. I figured the rest out from my family telling me about him. We were related. Maybe thirty years now since he died.

And I just remembered. Ha ha ha ha ha...... I do have a story. There is much more that I have not spoken of. Everything I wrote is true but the name.

I will be in the city soon. Will see if the junkyard still remains.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
If the junkyard remains and you can get access to it, it may be time to purchase a detector. Just a thought.

K

Kentucky Kache

Billonthehill said:
I have just read thru this thread and it jiggled loose a memory.

Lannie had silver. He traded manure for silver dollars. He had the largest manure company in the city. His office was a trailer house next to the mountains of cow, sheep and chicken manure piles. On his cluttered desks were jars of silver dollars.

He would trade one yard of manure for one silver dollar. It was 1976.

Manure was seven dollars a yard.

Today one yard of manure is twenty six dollars from manure yards in the city.

or one silver dollar.

Lannie liked to bury coins. He had a two acre junkyard around his house five miles away from his manure company. He would go home from work in the evening and bury mason jars full of silver dollars. Below the junk cars.

He had a map.

One day Lannie died. He had never married and had no children. The estate was in probate for years. The map has never been found. The junkyard changed hands. Many times. Cars sat and rusted......

As far as I know the property still sits with rusting autos. Waiting for urban renewal.

And Lannies treasure to be found. Jar after jar of silver dollars. Maybe thirty years worth he buried. Perhaps tens of thousands. He never trusted banks. He was rich beyond belief and a simple humble man. He kept every dollar he ever made. In silver.

I know. He told me. Not all of it but most. Before he died. A long time ago. I figured the rest out from my family telling me about him. We were related. Maybe thirty years now since he died.

And I just remembered. Ha ha ha ha ha...... I do have a story. There is much more that I have not spoken of. Everything I wrote is true but the name.

I will be in the city soon. Will see if the junkyard still remains.

Was it Lannie himself who told you approximately where he buried the silver? And that he had a map?

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Yep. Might want to invest in a strong magnet too. Recycling car parts might pay for the project as well, depending on the age of the scrap autos. I'd hesitate to call this a junkyard, but haven't seen it, either.

If there really are that many junkers around, it may be time to literally junk them. Scrap iron. Salvage older car parts. What wasn't very valuable in 1976 can be quite valuable today, and well-worth the additional expense of dismantling/salvage.

Might even pay to invest in a cat rental to scrape the first inch or two of soil into larger piles of debris for easier recycling. Anything under 2 inches reacting to a detector would logically be a possible good target.

One wonders where Lonnie was storing his manure piles as well: one of the better places to hide jars of coins. Kind of like putting them in the privy.

K

Kentucky Kache

Tuberale said:
One wonders where Lonnie was storing his manure piles as well: one of the better places to hide jars of coins. Kind of like putting them in the privy.

Good thinking. Time to invest in a box of rubber gloves...the kind that goes all the way up the arm. :tongue3:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Kentucky Kache said:
Tuberale said:

Good thinking. Time to invest in a box of rubber gloves...the kind that goes all the way up the arm. :tongue3:
I WON'T say the obvious here. (musn't, musn't, musn't).

But anyone who has actually had experience in fungi and their substrates knows that little would be left of those piles today after 35 years.

K

Kentucky Kache

Tuberale said:
But anyone who has actually had experience in fungi and their substrates knows that little would be left of those piles today after 35 years.

True.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Caches definitely are real. People did hide stuff, there was a time when people stopped trusting banks, or, had little access to banking services. Sometimes, they cached money for security purposes. If their farmstead was burglarized, they might get some worldly possessions, but they wouldn't get the money saved for the mortgage note, or next seasons seed bill.

Obviously, almost everyone went back to retrieve their caches, which means that whatever remains 'out there' is going to be a result of a pretty unusual chain of circumstances- which in turn means that sizable caches are going to be very, very, very rare.

As others mentioned, you also have to consider what sort of people were liquid enough to cache meaningful sums of money. There seems to be this bizarre, romanticized image of hardscrabble 'Depressioners' working hard for a meager sum, only to go run off and bury it somewhere. Possible, but pretty damn unlikely.

I'm guessing the best-case scenario for a gold coin cache is an eccentric, wealthy merchant who died suddenly in the 30's... or, remote places used by bootleggers.

K

Kentucky Kache

LSMorgan said:
Obviously, almost everyone went back to retrieve their caches, which means that whatever remains 'out there' is going to be a result of a pretty unusual chain of circumstances- which in turn means that sizable caches are going to be very, very, very rare.

Maybe not all that rare considering how many people have been on this earth before there were banks, or in times when banks were not trusted. There have been a LOT of people who have used the earth, or other hiding places as their bank. But I wouldn't worry about the big caches so much. The smaller ones are the ones most people would have cached.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Money is kept "on hand" for a variety of reasons, not all of which seem logical by today's standards.

Historically, there have been many "bank crashes". Had you lost all your saved money in one of those cases, you would think VERY carefully about putting your money back into one. Mostly these crashes (kind of like stock-market crashes) were in the 1800's. But early 1900's had MANY, MANY bank robberies: so many, in fact, that the FBI and other federal law enforcement officials didn't want people to know how INsecure their money was in a bank. That's how federal banking insurance came about. FDIC. First limited bank account insured to $10,000 per account, which forced some people to have mutliple accounts in order to have their savings insured. Later was increased to $100,000 per account, and considering today's inflation will probably increase again shortly.

Billonthehill

Greenie
Nov 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
Do not own one yet.
Kentucky Kache said:
Was it Lannie himself who told you approximately where he buried the silver? And that he had a map?

Lannie was 85 years old then and as tough as nails. He was my sisters uncle by marriage. My sister bought the manure business from him in 1979 and ran it until her and her husband sold it in 1980. Lannie sat in his trailer one night talking about government, dodging taxes, John Birch Society, silver and a long list of other topics which usually raise the blood pressure.

He grinned and inferred things. Not really stating what he was saying but talking in "what if's". I was a young man and he knew me to be an honest person and he talked a bit past boundaries knowing he could trust me. I guess he could.

He said he had "marked down" the location of his jars. To me that meant map.

I was only at his house a few times but it was a couple acres of cars and trucks. Jammed together. In the middle was his trailer and a very large garden. Around the property was a ten to twelve foot solid corrugated fence he had welded into place. Naturally there were dogs.

He was a leader of a tax protest group that had sponsored a man to run for Governor. The run was unsuccessful and afterwards the man was arrested for tax evasion. I don't think he ever did time but when he ran for Governor he angered a lot of politicians.

Lannie had A LOT of silver. He pushed silver before the Hunt brothers did. The family never received anything like silver from his estate. I had moved on and had forgotten about this story until yesterday. Once I thought about it the facts came drifting back. That was 35 years or so ago.

I wonder.......................................

Billonthehill

Greenie
Nov 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
Do not own one yet.
As far as the manure piles.....

My sister and husband kept the property where the manure piles was located. They ended up selling it to a developer. Today there is a Target, Home Depot and tire store on that piece of ground. Manure is lonnnnng gone.

But Lannies house? I think it is still there behind another junkyard. I am sure many of you on this site have driven past it time after time. I would be willing to bet there are some who knew this man I am talking about. I drove past the other junkyard as recently as two months ago. This is in a major city in Colorado. Strange but everything around this area has been developed for years. This one little square area has not changed since the early 60's.

There is a possibility that a silver cache exists there.

Hmmm. Destiny?

Hope you all read about me. Not getting shot but getting rich. LOL!!!!!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
homestake said:
CowboyKolo said:
yeahhh...not many moonshiners or outlaws in Nebraska though. Ok, Jesse James maybe, but he was mostly Missouri. Spose the childless people are the best shot :)
Try researching Two Gun Hart. And see who his half brother was. Nebraska is a prime cache hunting state. Turn your headlights on.
Don't know about Two Gun Hart. I do have reference to Chase Gish who cached gold nuggets in Nebraska. See Treasure Map Atlas by Thomas P. Terry, p. 83. Same source includes a "Flyspeck Bill" cache of $300,000 in gold and silver coins near Rushville, Sheridan County; Gold coin cache near Alliance, Box Butte County at Point of Rocks; a cache buried by Tony Harris of gold and silver coins at Chimney Rock in Morrill County; Buffalo Bill Cody Buried a cache of gold coins near Scott's Rest Ranch, near North Platt; a rancher named Wiggins buried several caches on his ranch South of Gothenburg. Terry's Treasure Map Atlas lists 49 similar leads in his book which he published in 1979. I'm certain there are others.

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Man, I love the thought of researching and hunting for caches. I love research.
But interviewing old folks ... I have to remind myself that the old folks of today weren't really around in the 1800's, and were probably just little kids during the Great Depression.
Does anyone else fall into the mindlessness of thinking folks in the rest homes are between, lets say, 80 - 150 years old; or is it just me?

K

Kentucky Kache

midnightmoon said:
Man, I love the thought of researching and hunting for caches. I love research.
But interviewing old folks ... I have to remind myself that the old folks of today weren't really around in the 1800's, and were probably just little kids during the Great Depression.
Does anyone else fall into the mindlessness of thinking folks in the rest homes are between, lets say, 80 - 150 years old; or is it just me?

They weren't around in the 1800's, but they grew up with people who were.
I'm only 48, and I've known people who were born in the 1800's.
Also, not all treasure was buried in the 1800's. Talk to those old people.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions