Cache hunting vs. archaeologists

Hobo

May 20, 2014
Nv, Mt, Ca ,Id. Az, I'm a hobo
Detector(s) used
Deus, GB2,GB Pro & Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In National forest you can not bury a 50 yr old coin and legealy dig it up. The only difference between archaeologist and me is a license. Much stuff would be lost forever and turn to dust and iron oxide if it wernt for treasure hunters and detectorist. I don't have much use for most archaeologists.

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old thread, but I still run into this crap on a daily basis. How many of you people *****ing about archaeologists have a degree in archeaology or anthropology? None of you? Shocking. I put you in the same category of people who think that vaccinations cause autism. Is it possible that the people who go to school for 4 to 6, even 10 years probably know more about things than you do? The world isn't against your TH'ing. We all want the same thing, which is why we do what we do. Educate yourselves instead of just crying about it. 9/11 wasn't an inside job, the Boston Marathon was not a false flag, Sandy Hook wasn't a bunch of actors, and archeaologist's aren't out to F you over.

</rant>
====================================================
Oh how I really want to argue a few things you put into this post.
But I will fully refrain due to the consequences I KNOW that would occur afterwards.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old thread, but I still run into this crap on a daily basis. How many of you people *****ing about archaeologists have a degree in archeaology or anthropology? None of you? Shocking. I put you in the same category of people who think that vaccinations cause autism. Is it possible that the people who go to school for 4 to 6, even 10 years probably know more about things than you do? The world isn't against your TH'ing. We all want the same thing, which is why we do what we do. Educate yourselves instead of just crying about it. 9/11 wasn't an inside job, the Boston Marathon was not a false flag, Sandy Hook wasn't a bunch of actors, and archeaologist's aren't out to F you over.

Well Dave - that's your take. I completely disagree. I have met 4 Arch's in my life and all of them were self centered complete jerks. I was as nice as can be and wanted to show them one of my great finds. They wanted nothing to do with me....when they found out I was a treasure hunter. They were all very nice when sitting around talking, everything changed as soon as I told them what I did. People live by their experiences......tell us about yours, how the Arch's welcomed you with open arms to dig "their sites" - I highly doubt it. I seriously wonder who needs to educate themselves?

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

</rant>

Too funny!! Your a treasure hunter! :laughing7: In your post, you just did the same thing as the people you are complaining about! :BangHead:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right on Midden Monster.
I generally agree with everything you said.
I posted this because of this link:

http://www.newsok.com/video/1555052/

It just get's up my gall. Our stupid gov't needs a severe kick in the butt.

The last sentence makes no sense.
"The army corp of engineers says they don't want anyone digging there because someone might accidentally dig up indian artifacts"

Well, if they issued permits or had someone with them to watch over them than this wouldn't happen would it?
How about the idea that others might actually like to see what was dug up?
What really gets your gal is when you here the archies whining about us like we're uneducated heathens. Bet at least 70% of the TNetters here have more under their hats than 99.9% of em! You read constantly that they don't have the funding to excavate blah blah. So they just leave things to rot or get thrown on the pile when some state agency decides to build something. If you look at Englands system it's good! The landowner gets a cut, you get the rest, and their Museums are chock full! If "we" recover items and document how different is that than someone who slept through classes and still got a archie degree????

Army Corps of Engineers!?!?! Don't know about anyone else here but I've seen them screw up more than they've done good and at a higher price!!

Like I said, there's a lot of people here with more skills and hands on experience / knowledge than most all of the Archies.

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My comments is # 20, and I would like to thank those who wrote comments after me.
Thanks for your post Sam: My post will be very short and simple so the archies can understand,:BangHead:
From what I have SEEN or understand about them=they are legalized grave robbers and thieves (Uneducated)

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Grave robbers and thieves! Wish I knew about it when I was younger. I thought it was musty and boring. Cleaning rocks with little brushes and stuff.

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grave robbers and thieves! Wish I knew about it when I was younger. I thought it was musty and boring. Cleaning rocks with little brushes and stuff.
YEP, that too. I once walked into one of the holes they dug and almost broke bones. 4' wide 6' long but quite hidden by
undergrowth. Now wish I had taken photos of the place. dug holes up the ying yang and they throw dirt at detectorists who cover 6'' deep holes.
one of my brothers once had an archie threaten him with jail unless he turned over certain items. Another archie begged him to don't threaten people ( a good archie.) to get what they want. The items are still not in the museum. I just wonder what museum they went to. HO, HO, Ho. santa claus comin'

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the word "museum" is mention. It is interesting they want treasures hunters to find treasures and turn them over to them. Better idea, is for them to purchase metal detectors for the staff, and let them do the research during working hours, spending many hours everyday reading old newspapers and old books, interview many people, get permission from land owners, and give them 50% of everything found, and let them keep the rest. Another problem is that museums do not pay income taxes, which us treasure hunters do. In Connecticut, There is also state income taxes.

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
White's Coin Master 6000/D -- Garrett GTI 2500 -- Etrac
Primary Interest:
Other
====================================================
Oh how I really want to argue a few things you put into this post.
But I will fully refrain due to the consequences I KNOW that would occur afterwards.

Send them in a private message then. I got to piss and moan about my opinions, I don't see wh you shouldn't get the same courtesy.

Same thing for you, dude. I can't fix it if I don't know it's broken.

Nobody has written comments for many years on this forum. That is why I wrote my comments, which I stand by. While the world is not out to F treasure hunters, it seem that archaeologist does. I have been a treasure hunter since 1964, and research more history books then you ever did. Do not insult me about Sandy Hook, because the story is true and I live in Connecticut. I have no need for archaeologists, but I do share my information with town and city libraries and history associations. I support my family with my finds, pay state and federal income taxes, and share with the poor. Tell us all what you and your friends do with the treasures that you all find. I take all the vaccinations that my doctors order. I cry over 9/11, and Sandy Hook victims, but not over your kind.

FWIW, I'm not out to F anyone over, and neither is anyone I work with. I ask your forgiveness for my quick anger and thoughtless post -- it's one of those hot button issues, you know, and I'm not awesome at containing myself when I've got just a computer between me and the world. I don't doubt that the majority of you know more about what's out there than me or any of my pals, and that street smarts > book smarts 9 times out of 10, but it rubs me raw to have people I've never met call me names, or assume I'm dishonest because of what I do. If any of you are ever out in Utah, look me up and I'll do my damndest to change your perceptions.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While this is a old forum, I feel a need to response. I believe that Archaeologists are really treasure hunters. I believe, we, treasure hunters are entitle to find water and buried treasures, and share with the owners, and pay our income taxes, and support our families, and enjoy the hunt.
This is # 18 on page 2.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody has written comments for many years on this forum. That is why I wrote my comments, which I stand by. While the world is not out to F treasure hunters, it seem that archaeologist does. I have been a treasure hunter since 1964, and research more history books then you ever did. Do not insult me about Sandy Hook, because the story is true and I live in Connecticut. I have no need for archaeologists, but I do share my information with town and city libraries and history associations. I support my family with my finds, pay state and federal income taxes, and share with the poor. Tell us all what you and your friends do with the treasures that you all find. I take all the vaccinations that my doctors order. I cry over 9/11, and Sandy Hook victims, but not over your kind.

This is # 20 on page 2.

oldsmith

Mar 13, 2014
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold, Garrett propointer, teknetics t2 se, tessoro sand shark,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting thread here, I much enjoyed reading all the posts by well experienced and informed tnet memebers. I am a treasure hunter through and through , and every find I make is treasure to me. For the past several years I have researched and detected my home area for historical artifacts relating to the fur trade and western migration. I know of a person in the area that is part of a historical society here and felt that some of my finds would be interesting to her. I contacted her and she was eager to see what I had found , well, she was blown away with what I had shown her. My artifacts and coins covered an era of over 200 years. She works closely with a government archeologist and has introduced me to him via email. He seems like a decent guy who stated that he would rather work with me than against me. I hope this relationship works out because the history should be shared with the public and they are welcome to take pictures of my finds. One thing that I am certain of is that I have beat the bush, paddled up and down rivers, read books and articles, hovered over maps and google earth, on my own time and found locations that have been overlooked. I love this hobby and will persue it till I can't do it anymore.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

Here's a real life experience I had with this crowd awhile back.

Signed up along with a lot of other detectorists for an online archeology course given by an Ivy League University in the US.

In the open discussion area I posted a thread along the following lines..."Are archeologists prepared to work with detectorists"....As justification I mentioned that with limited budgets, etc...it might not be a bad idea on their part to consider this option.

I received a fair amount of positive feedback in the beginning, especially from European archeologists who were taking the course....then this yahoo from Germany who's nothing more than a member of a historical society chimes in that 95% of us are thieves and grave robbers...lol...

I sent pm's to the moderator and the course giver asking them to rein this jerk in which they refused to do....so obviously the supported his position rather than being respectful towards our community.

That's when I took the gloves off....my response was it's kind of funny why you allowed this joker to treat us this way considering that not that long ago your crowd were in fact grave robbers and thieves and to a large extent still are today...

I told them I was admin on a detecting forum of 5,000 or so members and given their attitude I would never sanction any cooperation between our 2 communities and am retracting my participation from the course and please cancel my account asap.

Let's just say I was steamed big time....also most of the European archeologists who were participating dropped out also out of disgust at the behavior that was allowed very amateur to say the least.

Regards + HH

Bill

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks,

Here's a real life experience I had with this crowd awhile back.

Signed up along with a lot of other detectorists for an online archeology course given by an Ivy League University in the US.

In the open discussion area I posted a thread along the following lines..."Are archeologists prepared to work with detectorists"....As justification I mentioned that with limited budgets, etc...it might not be a bad idea on their part to consider this option.

I received a fair amount of positive feedback in the beginning, especially from European archeologists who were taking the course....then this yahoo from Germany who's nothing more than a member of a historical society chimes in that 95% of us are thieves and grave robbers...lol...

I sent pm's to the moderator and the course giver asking them to rein this jerk in which they refused to do....so obviously the supported his position rather than being respectful towards our community.

That's when I took the gloves off....my response was it's kind of funny why you allowed this joker to treat us this way considering that not that long ago your crowd were in fact grave robbers and thieves and to a large extent still are today...

I told them I was admin on a detecting forum of 5,000 or so members and given their attitude I would never sanction any cooperation between our 2 communities and am retracting my participation from the course and please cancel my account asap.

Let's just say I was steamed big time....also most of the European archeologists who were participating dropped out also out of disgust at the behavior that was allowed very amateur to say the least.

Regards + HH

Bill
Hello Bill, NOW you can have happier hunting. It only takes one egghead to corrupt good manners. I for one am glad you took the action you did.:occasion14::headbang::hello2:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
elh,

Thanks for the pat on the back....the other reason I backed away from the course is I was in revenge mode and didn't want to continue and put our community in a bad light.

I was ready to dice and slice them big time....must be my celtic blood...lol.

The fact is which I explained to them clearly in the forum the vast majority of detectorists detect in areas where the soil has been disturbed big time....plowed fields, parks, sports fields, etc...which have been landscaped, resoded, filled, etc...so nothing we find is in context from a historical perspective.

Regards + HH

Bill

Last edited:

Hobo

May 20, 2014
Nv, Mt, Ca ,Id. Az, I'm a hobo
Detector(s) used
Deus, GB2,GB Pro & Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The population is increasing, public land is decreasing, available areas to detect are decreasing, regulations are increasing, the Forrest Service prohibits removing any relic, coins or artifacts from it public land .It won't be too long before a permit will be required to operate metal detector in some areas. Most recreational gold mining has been banned in Calif. I'm getting old and I intend to do my own thing, keep a low profile and keep my mouth shut.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions