Canadian Nickels...

Goldmanford

Aug 1, 2011
North Carolina
I heard that it is illegal to "scrap" copper US pennies...is this the same for Canadian coins? I think coinflation has a nickel Canadian nickel listed at about 9.6 cents each scrap value. That's not a bad turn-around over face value if you could unload them fairly easily. Double your money! :headbang:

LeoTrench-MAINE

Aug 7, 2011
Americas Maritime Province
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canadian nickels are 100% nickel up to 2000-ish, then the 'P' showed up. 'P' is not for Philly, It's for PLATED. 95% steel 5% zink (makes it easier on the dies) with chrome/Nickel plate. Did the same for the 1 cent and it was a transition from 2000 to 2009 (Cu plated 95Steel/5zinc). Many varieties exist. Canada is the largest producer of Nickel (hence the commemorative reverse on the 1951 5 cent coin). 1969 to 2000 Dimes, Nicks, 25 cent and half are all 100% Nickel.

This will probobly happen here in the states soon. Germany used steel/zinc for the 1, 2, 5, and 10 Phennig pieces (with copper and Brass faceings) for along time. {divide a quarter into 100 parts, you're gonna wnat some cheap minor denominations...LOL}

I keep all of my Canuks before 2000 and sort the ones after.

Canada has some fun coins. Check my posts!!

HH

Trench

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Canadian 5 cent coins were 99.9% nickel until 1982, then they were 75% copper and 25% nickel until 2000. Check out the wikipedia article, "Canadian 5 cent." After 2000 they transitioned to plated steel. The 99.9% nickel and steel, five cent coins are magnetic. The 75%/25% copper/nickel ones are not, that is the easiest way to tell. Some 75% copper/25% nickel planchets were used post 2000.

It is illegal to melt canadian coins in canada, in the USA they are fair game!

OP
OP
lovewiibrew

lovewiibrew

Mar 18, 2011
Eastern US
Bringing up an old thread here. An offer for the canadians. I'm interested in buying some pre 82 nickels again for bullion purposes. Most of the lots on Ebay are wayyy over spot. I'm looking to buy some closer to spot. The best I found was about 9.4 cents each. I'm looking for around 8 cents each (around spot). Any canadians here interested in selling some? We could skip the Feebay fees this way. Though it would be nice if you had posts of others who have maybe bought items with you before from the forum.

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
The last box of nickels I searched was in January. I do keep the pre-82s for pure nickel bullion along with any oldies I find. I'm not interested in selling especially not across the border because shipping very heavy currency across the border and considering customs it all adds up to be very expensive.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have quite a few pre 1982 canadian nickels in my personal collection, though I have never gotten a pre 1982 canadian nickel in a nickel roll

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
The pre 1982 Canadian nickels are rejected by coin machines in the US. The value of one nickel is about .10$ each, however if selling at spot, it still only reasonable to sell very large quantities, because shipping charges are killing all the profit. So the only 2 options are: to sell a big stack or to wait until price of nickel rises up to 20$ per pound.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread