CaneField Bandits DOUBLE 1840s Orleans Silver!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

We had one heck of a hunt, finally got all the finds cleaned and examined and ready to post. First off, here's a little video to get you in the mood. ;D

How bout dem crabs? :laughing7:

Shanegalang and I hit the fields Friday afternoon for a nice hunt at our little ole cane field over dar. We said a little thank you to Bernard Bonnier for lifting the Cane Curse off ole Shane and we got swingin out in dat muddy muck. The soup in between the rows looked almost as dark as the gumbo roux Shane's wife made for us last night. :D

We started diggin some Civil War bullets right off, and I got two flat buttons in the field, but it was me that had the Cane Curse cause although I dug a lot of targets, it was really Shane's day. We started out slow, over low heat, stirring frequently. Then I got a suspender clip and Shane got a couple nice cast brass nails. I got some Colonial clay pipe pieces from the field, and we were picking up pottery left and right. Then we got into a trashy area where we were fighting the aluminum monster digging can slaw, and Shane shouted "I think I got a coin!" When I walked over to him, I saw this:

1.jpg

It was an 1840-O Seated Dime. :headbang: Shane's second silver coin (the first was a half real). He was on cloud nine, and we took a break at the truck and guzzled some water and took Action on dat Cane Field again. I knew I had to find a coin to even the score. Then as fast as a hungry Coonie can down a plate of Jambalaya, Shane yelled that he found another coin. This was a SECOND Seated! Half dime this time, 1842-O.

2.jpg

Incredible. I felt the Cane Curse beating me down. I started sweating. I started babbling incoherently. Two Seateds in one hunt. I kept thinking about it. Repeating it in my brain. Shane called me over to take a photo with one of his treasures:

3.jpg

I had to find a coin, CW button, great relic...something! The light started fading, and I raced against it to no avail. It was his day--and he deserves it. Silvers number two and three. Well, we stopped by some old friends, had a beer around a big cast iron kettle and decided to stay the night in the Hacienda Mexicana de los Ratones Muertos. Beautiful little cottage with a spacious front porch near an old plantation home. Breakfast was included. :D

After a good night's sleep we got up and back in dem dar Cane Fields, ya. We had gotten permission for another huge tract of land, and wanted to check out the site of a plantation home. We pounded the fields there with little to show...BUT I did manage to get my coin. It was laying right on top and it beeped at me from the muddy silt of the bottom of the cane row.

4.jpg

Yep. A stinkin' 1915 Wheat. It's been a year since I dug a wheat cent, and digging them is kind of like eating brussel sprouts. You think you might be ok eating them again, and then you eat one and you remember how bad they taste. :D

Then we went to a little get together with some friends and got permission for another huge tract of land. Ate some Jambalaya and Cracklins, plus some damned good homemade sausage and then den we got back in da truck and headed back home to clean our finds, us. Shane's wife made Gumbo late that evening and I would've taken a photo of the beautiful bowl of goodness if I hadn't eaten it all up before I thought about it.

Here are some photos of the finds. First off, this one is for Hill Billy.

5.jpg

Shane's Pottery pieces he eyeballed:

6.jpg

7.jpg

Shane's keepers. Suspender buckle. Cast brass nails. Civil War 45 cal rounds. Barrel tap piece (upper right).

8.JPG

My GawGag. Camp lead, pack studs, parasol clip, pocket watch guts.

9.jpg

1700s clay pipe bowl and pipe stem piece. :thumbsup:

10.jpg

My keepers. Civil war bullets, pottery, suspender buckle, and the grubby wheat penny.

11.jpg

Caution: Seated Liberty Photos Below!

Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB,
First off, let me say "thanks" for the GREAT video. I was seeing doUUble there. :tongue3:
Second, let me say "thanks again" for the video. :occasion14: Some beautiful bayou babes there! :love4:
Third, let me say "thanks again" for the video congrats to both you and Shane on some great finds. I think Shane may have whooped your tail this time, but I'm not losing faith in you. I know you are just giving him a headstart, and also don't want to be cut off from gumbo. :laughing9:
Well done guys, funny post. ;D
-MM-

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome bunch of saves! Love the silver times two.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shanegalang said:
I was extremely excited to find my second and third silver ever! And 2 in one day?? Unheard of. BB thanks for doing the post :icon_thumleft: I think I saw 5 maybe 3 of my cousins in the video :dontknow: Anxious to get back up there for another hunt. That gumbo was even better the next day! Always is. Cheers everyone and HH Shane Canefield Bandits :headbang:

Call those cousins up! I need someone to cheer for me while I dig, and to console me when I get skunked. ;D

HILL BILLY said:
Another Skunkin for BBoy :laughing7: Dem Bones rubbed off own der dat Shanegai.
3 Silbers fo shane , 0 Silbers fo u .hmmm...unbeleavable :whip2:

What I'd do for some of those blue crabs, best eatins der is.
Better bring some next time you visit, make sure dey live too.
dat der video brings back some memories of Norleans in the early 90's.

Hahaha yes I will get a silver this year--and when I do, it'll be old. :D It's time for him to dig a military button and me to get a nice Spanish. 8)

ModernMiner said:
BB,
First off, let me say "thanks" for the GREAT video. I was seeing doUUble there. :tongue3:
Second, let me say "thanks again" for the video. :occasion14: Some beautiful bayou babes there! :love4:
Third, let me say "thanks again" for the video congrats to both you and Shane on some great finds. I think Shane may have whooped your tail this time, but I'm not losing faith in you. I know you are just giving him a headstart, and also don't want to be cut off from gumbo. :laughing9:
Well done guys, funny post. ;D
-MM-

Sounds like you might want to get your eyesight checked. I went in after watching that video, thinking I had tunnel vision, but the doctor said my eyes were just fine. :D I'm happy to see the coins and relics dug. And yes, keep dat gumbo flowing!

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like every body else, I liked the video best.

I will spare everyone the crab jokes.

Did yall find any coins?

Never mind.

I went back to watch the video again and saw the coins.

Congratulations Shane, I don't know what the deal is, but a lot of the Seated and Bust dimes

have bunches of those little dings in em. And no, it's not plow damage on these either BB.

Just a little inside humor.

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hey a great story! and pissed myself laughin at the wheatie/brussel sprout comment :laughing9: sometimes it works out when both have a great day but usually it's lopsided and makes it rough on the underdog on the ride home.
you'll get your day next time! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
Just as I thought,them feilds are treating yall right!!I cant wait to see whats next!! :thumbsup:

Same to you, my friend. Got your e-mail today. Great stuff!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silvers Shane :thumbsup:

Nice video BB :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

How's come I ain't seen dem girls on Swamp People yet :dontknow:

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites MXT Pro
Nice Orleans silver. Liked the video better though. Where did you find them? (the girls not the silver). Wow

Missouri_John

Nov 27, 2006
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Capped Busts and Seated "O's" sounds like a good time to me. I love being able to find New Orleans coins around here

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
I've never liked catching crabs myself :D
First nice finds Buck,some of those shards & Items I see in your post look like some sites that have done well for me. :thumbsup:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

Cru,Sometimes they just go together. ;D Here I am early 90's crabing. :headbang: I will say this I miss them day's. :headbang:

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 423
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply, Timekiller! Yeah, it is a GREAT and at times Strange culture down here. I'm loving it. And loving the diggin' too! :icon_thumright:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Thanks for the reply, Timekiller! Yeah, it is a GREAT and at times Strange culture down here. I'm loving it. And loving the diggin' too! :icon_thumright:

Best Wishes,

Buckles
Glad your having a good time Man,Yea that furniture knob with the square hole is getting back there.I've found this one in my hand & not 10ft away got a piece of cut silver.Of course funiture can be around for a long time but your shards scream late 1700's-early1800's to me.
The site below I use alot to ID shards which in turn pays off knowing the age of a site.It has a colonial section & post colonial.
http://www.jefpat.org/diagnostic/Post-Colonial Ceramics/Shell Edged Wares/Shell Edged Wares Main.htm
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 734
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 743

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
lol -- en tres lenguas! Pero no voy a dormir en la Hacienda Mexicana de los Ratones Muertos. Sacre blu. Andi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread