Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Been a while since I posted, but the Bandits have had two great hunts. Here's the video compilation, with a Big Bug Surprise that that is a video-only bonus. :laughing7:

The first hunt, Diggergirl (my wife) went along and she totally showed me up. I mean, I wasn't just surpassed--I was skunked! Quindy was right when he said she'd be a "Holy Terror" with her new Tesoro Tejon. :help: We'd decided to have a nice romantic metal detecting trip, so we got out in the cane fields at first light. The hunt started out with me digging what I thought was a gun part with a bench number on it, but it turned out to be agricultural junque. Then she dug a large copper that I didn't recognize. Folks, she has never dug a Large Cent, but she's already dug a 1700s French copper--and now as it turns out she's got a King George III. This one is a Half Stiver from 1813, coined for the territories in Guyana of Essequibo and Demerary. (I have never dug a KG, strangely enough!)

183_0860.JPG

Then not long after she comes up to me smiling and holding what appears to be a small cannonball. If I didn't love her I'd have broken my F75 over my knee. :laughing7: For her to find TWO items that I'd never ever dug in 22 years... and in one hunt to boot. So of course, we had to get this verified--because I've seen too many iron balls come from mixed occupation sites to believe that every one is a cannonball. But the weight and diameter were right, and Cannonballguy verified that this is a 1 pound Grape Shot. This is either pre-CW (less likely) or was outdated ordinance that was taken from the arsenals in Baton Rouge or New Orleans by the Confederates when Louisiana seceded. Here is a before/after electrolysis photo:

183_0865.JPG HPIM4856.JPG

I dug a plain flat button, then a barrel tap. Then she comes over with a wax fob seal made out of SILVER. Great find there! Again, something I've never dug one of--and in silver instead of brass to top it off. :D Here are photos of her and my finds, as well as close-ups of the half stiver and fob seal. (P.S. note the wheat cent that was shot with a pistol her finds photo).

HPIM4849.JPG HPIM4851.JPG HPIM4852.JPG

HPIM4853.JPG HPIM4854.JPG HPIM4855.JPG

OK so then the next day I decide to go out with Shanegalang to see if my luck had turned around. It had. :thumbsup:

I walked right out in the cane field and dug a semi key Barber Dime! 1894-O!

183_0870.JPG

Then not long after I got another silver!

183_0875.JPG

This one turned out to be a Spanish Silver! 1811 Half Real in nice shape!

183_0879.JPG 183_0882.JPG

Nice to add to the spanish silver totals for this 2014 (this is #8). After recovering close to 30 spanish silvers last year, it's been a bit of a slump in 2014 for many reasons--but the good finds are still being made.

HPIM4861.JPG HPIM4862.JPG

HPIM4863.JPG HPIM4864.JPG

HPIM4866.JPG

Happy Hunting,

Buck and the Bandits

Cane Bandits.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 26

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice going on the silvers Buck. Looks like you're gonna have to start sneaking out of the house and leaving the wife at home if you expect to find anything.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going on the silvers Buck. Looks like you're gonna have to start sneaking out of the house and leaving the wife at home if you expect to find anything.

Haha yes. Well I did leave her at home last Friday and neither Shanegalang nor I found squat. I mean, I did find a buffalo nickel and 2 flat buttons. :D

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Missed this one…great group of finds there…didn't expect any less…but funny people see the good stuff now and then from us but how many days do we get out and find squat! or nothing we would post up...

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Missed this one…great group of finds there…didn't expect any less…but funny people see the good stuff now and then from us but how many days do we get out and find squat! or nothing we would post up...

It's true. Went out once more and got a Civil War knapsack hook and a clay marble. Not enough to post for an all-day hunt. :(

In the past, I've believed in posting it all...but it's too time consuming to make a post for just that much...

-Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread