Caribs & Columbus

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Columbus had recounted how peaceful Arawaks in modern-day Bahamas were terrorized by pillagers he mistakenly described as "Caniba," the Asiatic subjects of the Grand Khan. His Spanish successors corrected the name to "Caribe" a few decades later, but the similar-sounding names led most archaeologists to chalk up the references to a mix-up: How could Caribs have been in the Bahamas when their closest outpost was nearly 1,000 miles to the south?

But skulls reveal the Carib presence in the Caribbean was far more prominent than previously thought, giving credence to Columbus' claims.

Face to face with the Caribbean's earliest inhabitants

Previous studies relied on artifacts such as tools and pottery to trace the geographical origin and movement of people through the Caribbean over time. Adding a biological component brings the region's history into sharper focus, said Ann Ross, a professor of biological sciences at North Carolina State University and the study's lead author.

Ross used 3D facial "landmarks," such as the size of an eye socket or length of a nose, to analyze more than 100 skulls dating from about A.D. 800 to 1542. These landmarks can act as a genetic proxy for determining how closely people are related to one another.

The analysis not only revealed three distinct Caribbean people groups, but also their migration routes, which was "really stunning," Ross said.

https://www.sott.net/article/427167...th-America-not-a-myth-but-were-they-cannibals

Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Cool article, I didn't realize there was that much controversy, I just thought most archaeologists accepted the Carib/Taino relation as common knowledge.

Here are a couple of trade beads that I dug many years ago at a Carib site in St Lucia. Venetian made, some were made around 1480 but probably came over in the very early 1500's where they were traded with the Taino in the north. (There were some Taino style shell beads with them, and a couple of Taino celts which were common trophy items on Carib sites from raids/trades.)

The Carib and Taino art and pottery is quite different in the lower Caribbean.

ED10FBA7-A292-4D43-A625-C3B3EC31831D.jpeg

49BFC575-693C-4703-8C1F-BBBA52CC89F6.jpeg

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh man, those Chevron beads!!!!!! Bucket List!!:headbang:

When I look at the shell artifacts of the Caribs/Tainos I am reminded of our own S. FL artifacts. Of course they are all coastal so are similar...but FL is close enough to have plenty of influence. Great topic.

Last edited:

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I read somewhere that a large group of Florida natives got into canoes and left for the islands to escape the depredations of the Spanish incursions. So they must have had knowledge of the Caribes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread