Carlos III cuff links, NY "Excelsior" button, Religious medal and more...

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took a personal day off work yesterday to enjoy detecting on a prefect spring day. It's so much nicer than being out there when its 25 degrees and I have 5 layers on and hand warmers in my gloves.

I've found that the first couple hours is the most productive for me when I'm trying to listen to the faint signals in the trash pit that is void of nonferrous signals. I think that's because I'm not mentally fatigued from all the chatter yet. Well we had some good rain since I was last at this site a couple weeks ago and not but a few feet from where I dug the 2 Excelsior buttons, I got the coil just right to hear a few more signals.

In one plug I found 4 "buttons" and the weird lead thing that looks like a smiley face. The first "button" out of the plug had a shield on it... I immediately thought "no way is this another real cuff link" (I found a pillars and globe link at a different site a couple weeks ago), then a tombac and then another of the same "buttons" with the shield, finally a flat button and the lead thing. A couple feet away was the 3rd Excelsior button from this site all within a small area. I am pretty sure there is more down there. I will be returning to sift this section... based on the number of buttons from this small area in the last couple hunts, I think there is more down there.

Some NICE forged nails turned up with 3 rose heads in the same plug. A cool religious medal also turned up (still researching it). A 3 ringer, some others odds and ends and a big piece of a bell was in the pit in an area I haven't sifted yet.... very deep and found it digging some big iron and using my pin pointer.

IMG_20160318_083939190.jpg

IMG_20160318_084024855.jpg

IMG_20160318_084114608.jpg IMG_20160318_084138840.jpg

These links are the Carlos III type according to Patriotic & Commemorative Buttons They are actually miniature 8 reales and both shanks are intact. A big wish of mine is to find a connected pair of links one day. It makes me wonder how these got detached with the shanks intact. Perhaps they were also used as cuff buttons instead of links? I was very excited to see these turn up and pretty blown away to find a different style, at a different site, since I didn't even know they existed prior to the pillars and column link from a couple weeks ago.

IMG_20160318_084223996.jpg IMG_20160318_102437813.jpg
Reale Links.jpg

The Excelsior button fell apart before I touched it. Of the three from this spot, the two with more gilt were found detached. After receiving great information from my previous excelsior post, I glued this one back together.

IMG_20160318_084302028.jpg
Cropped.jpg

All three of them back together (new one far right). Does anyone know how many would be on a coat? After finding these three in one area it makes me think there might be the rest of them.

IMG_20160318_084515307.jpg

Edit: Thanks to Bramblefind, I got an accurate identification on the religious medal. Its Italian devotional medal for St. Domenico. It reads "Roma" for Rome. Here is a link to another one http://metaldetectoritalia.forumfree.it/?t=70614005

I finally had some time to research this medal and it has become my favorite find from the hunt. It appears to be a Catholic medal for good health.

On the front is San (Staint) Domenico. Hes holding a horseshoe in one hand and a tooth in the other. Some background on it is "Domenico was in Cocullo Italy for a short time, and left to the local church one molar tooth and the horseshoe of his female mule, which are still preserved in the church with great devotion. The horseshoe has healing power against animal bites, the tooth on those bitten by poisonous snakes." So respectively, on the side he is holding the tooth, there is a snake at his feet, and on the side he is holding the horseshoe, there is an animal at his feet. http://www.italyheritage.com/magazine/2001_04/0104_l.htm

On the back is "Our Lady of Sorrows" who is the Virgin Mary with 7 daggers sticking in her chest. In the small text under her it says "Roma" (aka: Rome) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_Sorrows

Still no idea on age, but based on this site 95% of the finds fall between 1750 and 1860... my best guess on this medal is probably the mid 1800's, although it would be cool if it was earlier!

IMG_20160318_084049461.jpg

I typically don't find this many rose heads on a single hunt. Usually its a handful of square nails for one rose head. Yesterday I got 3 really nice rose heads in one hole all in the pit area. I've seen people post them on here and think they are copper because of the lack of corrosion and how the sound off when in the dirt. I can't explain why rose heads seem to come out in better condition than other nails, but they are indeed iron, and I find many that don't have much corrosion. Here are the 6 from yesterday after tumbling for a few hours. The head on one looks spotless and is by far the nicest condition one yet. I dug about 100 square nails yesterday... all being tumbled now (there are one or two more rose heads in the tumbler too)

IMG_20160317_201831032.jpg
IMG_20160317_204831967.jpg

Any ideas on this one? It was in the hole with the links. It looks like it was cast... perhaps a button? I think the smiley face is just a coincidence :)

IMG_20160318_084233958.jpg

The first target from yesterday turned out to be this rather old button. It has a nice design on it and I was lucky enough to see the broken shank in the dirt embedded in the back of it.

IMG_20160318_084400932.jpg

Edit: Almost forgot... the rivet is one of the anchor rivets. I believe this is my 3rd one with an anchor on it in the 6+ years I've been detecting.... they're almost always blank.

IMG_20160318_110644.jpg

Thanks for looking and good luck swinging before the grass grows too tall :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Upvote 16
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding work as usual OutdoorAdv,

Crazy that you were able to recover both of those cuffs, and a variant I've never seen before. Good luck digging the rest of that Excelsior coat.

Cheers,

Jon

Thanks a ton Jon! Hey... any idea how many more Excelsior buttons I'd be looking for? My knowledge of Civil War uniforms is limited. I googled that these would be on a NY Officers uniform... coat maybe. From the images it looks like there is at least 8 buttons. I couldn't imagine that they'd all be down there with that many missing. If so, they would have to be pretty deep. Really looking forward to sifting this section once it dries out some more.

Those Carlos III links must have had an iron link in them. They are in the pit area, so perhaps the link broke and they were thrown out.... I couldn't imagine it breaking and both falling off in the same 4" area. OR that article isn't accurate and the smaller ones were also used as buttons and not just cuff links.

Brad

Last edited:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I know I must sound like a broken record Brad, but I can't believe you keep coming home with a nice pile of quality relics each time you return to this mega-pounded site. Says a lot about your detecting skills and knowing your machine very well. Those cuff buttons are really awesome and something I've never been able to put my coil over. With all these leftovers at your site I have to believe there are still some coins hiding there, and I would be surprised if you didn't coax one out of the ground very soon. Have a great weekend!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Carlos III cuff links, NY "Excelsior" button, Religious medal and more...

Brad it seems to me you have two more cuff buttons to find buddy! Lol.

Those square rose heads are so cool. Those things bent their way through the wood grain and one even pulled a 180-turn, probably upon hitting a knot. That's great.

Joking aside those reale buttons are cool and I've never seen one of those anchor rivets. Nice digs man.

Steve

Last edited:
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know I must sound like a broken record Brad, but I can't believe you keep coming home with a nice pile of quality relics each time you return to this mega-pounded site. Says a lot about your detecting skills and knowing your machine very well. Those cuff buttons are really awesome and something I've never been able to put my coil over. With all these leftovers at your site I have to believe there are still some coins hiding there, and I would be surprised if you didn't coax one out of the ground very soon. Have a great weekend!

Thanks a ton Bill! I cant believe it either! Without the knowledge of where I dug the good stuff here, I would not be investigating the signals I'be been digging lately. ha With the grass growing back in for the season, and all the signals in a 3 acre area picked clean, I think anything on the verge of detection will be locked away until the grass dies off next winter. I am very excited to sift this summer though. I have many spots I have been marking off this winter that I want to sift in the summer. A few coins have turned up in the pit, previously masked, so I hope there are still a few more surprises. Also that large bell piece was totally masked in the pit... which made me excited to know that large brass can still be hidden there... the amount I have left to sift is overwhelming.

Brad it seems to me you have two more cuff buttons to find buddy! Lol.

Those square rose heads are so cool. Those things bent their way through the wood grain and one even pulled a 180-turn, probably upon hitting a knot. That's great.

Joking aside those reale buttons are cool and I've never seen one of those anchor rivets. Nice digs man.

Steve

Thanks a ton Steve! I'm dying to find some attached links... colonial ones! Interestingly I was reading more about forged nails the other day and the nails that are bent at a 90 degree angle could have been done so when the nail passed through the second board and they bent it to lock them in place. However, I think you're right on that one, it looks like it gracefully curved when it hit a knot or something. haha

Check this out... its amazing that each of these nails were made like this and each one took minutes to make. No wonder they would collect the nails after a structure burned down to reuse them.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You always sniff out the goods buddy. It's amazing how much the changing moisture content, approach angle, your mental alertness....all of these things can affect the hunt. I love those links brother. They are an awesome find. The connecting wire is very thin in those and can easily be broken or bent and pulled apart before the links will be severed.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just checked the tumbler and what I thought was just a loop from some horse tack, turned out to be another Jaw Harp... or whats left of one! Still cool to get some iron surprises on there. A rectangle buckle I dug yesterday tumbled really nice too with nearly all rust gone after 24 hours in there.

IMG_20160318_153839.jpg

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks a ton Jon! Hey... any idea how many more Excelsior buttons I'd be looking for? My knowledge of Civil War uniforms is limited. I googled that these would be on a NY Officers uniform... coat maybe. From the images it looks like there is at least 8 buttons. I couldn't imagine that they'd all be down there with that many missing. If so, they would have to be pretty deep. Really looking forward to sifting this section once it dries out some more.

Those Carlos III links must have had an iron link in them. They are in the pit area, so perhaps the link broke and they were thrown out.... I couldn't imagine it breaking and both falling off in the same 4" area. OR that article isn't accurate and the smaller ones were also used as buttons and not just cuff links.

Brad

Hey Brad,

The total number of buttons would depend on the coat manufacturer- google has a few period examples that sport a single lines of 6-8 buttons and the more decorative coatee/frock with duel lines of buttons...upwards of 18 buttons. As a cadet at VMI my coatee had over 20 :laughing7: Hard to say for certain, however if all 3 were dug from the same pit there is a good chance the others are still there. Looking forward to your follow up digs

Jon

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Brad. That is a really nice set of finds. The Carlos cuff links are just killer... and you got two of them! WOW.

Best of luck to you in the field!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks casper!

Nice bunch of finds congrats

Thanks trapperart!

You always sniff out the goods buddy. It's amazing how much the changing moisture content, approach angle, your mental alertness....all of these things can affect the hunt. I love those links brother. They are an awesome find. The connecting wire is very thin in those and can easily be broken or bent and pulled apart before the links will be severed.

Thanks a ton Abe! Yeah man, it always surprises me. I slow to a crawl when I dig good targets and cover out in a radius... dig anything I can hear. Then a week later, in the same spot it sounds different. The craziest time this happened to me was when I dug the 2 KGI's within a few feet of each other last summer... every hunt for a while I would comb that same section for months and nothing... so I stopped checking. Last Dec I dug a deep US large cent right next to where they were... and it was a nice repeatable signal. Biggest difference was the ground was soaked over winter.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Brad,

The total number of buttons would depend on the coat manufacturer- google has a few period examples that sport a single lines of 6-8 buttons and the more decorative coatee/frock with duel lines of buttons...upwards of 18 buttons. As a cadet at VMI my coatee had over 20 :laughing7: Hard to say for certain, however if all 3 were dug from the same pit there is a good chance the others are still there. Looking forward to your follow up digs

Jon

Jon, Thanks a ton man! I'm hoping a whole coat was tossed out with the trash. ha My concern is when I empty the dirt out of this 10'x10' section to sift, I will end up breaking them. They seem very fragile as it is just breaking the dirt clod apart. ha The three have been about 8" deep and just a whisper... maybe I'll remove the sod and then detect it first in layers.... so if there are more I don't damage them. I'll definitely keep everyone posted when I get back to sifting.

Congrats Brad. That is a really nice set of finds. The Carlos cuff links are just killer... and you got two of them! WOW.

Best of luck to you in the field!

Thanks Tom! I dug just a link to some cuff links a while ago. I'm tempted to clip the link and string these two back together to display. ha

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Brad that cuff is killer:headbang:
Nice assortment there those nails are cool to..

~Blaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks a ton Bill! I cant believe it either! Without the knowledge of where I dug the good stuff here, I would not be investigating the signals I'be been digging lately. ha With the grass growing back in for the season, and all the signals in a 3 acre area picked clean, I think anything on the verge of detection will be locked away until the grass dies off next winter. I am very excited to sift this summer though. I have many spots I have been marking off this winter that I want to sift in the summer. A few coins have turned up in the pit, previously masked, so I hope there are still a few more surprises. Also that large bell piece was totally masked in the pit... which made me excited to know that large brass can still be hidden there... the amount I have left to sift is overwhelming.

Thanks a ton Steve! I'm dying to find some attached links... colonial ones! Interestingly I was reading more about forged nails the other day and the nails that are bent at a 90 degree angle could have been done so when the nail passed through the second board and they bent it to lock them in place. However, I think you're right on that one, it looks like it gracefully curved when it hit a knot or something. haha

Check this out... its amazing that each of these nails were made like this and each one took minutes to make. No wonder they would collect the nails after a structure burned down to reuse them.

OMG dude just watched this i will never look at a square old nail the same way again!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow - that was an amazing video. That took a tremendous amount of both muscle power, skill and experience. Would've been really cool to see him put a rosehead on that nail. Thanks for posting that!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad that cuff is killer:headbang:
Nice assortment there those nails are cool to..

~Blaze

OMG dude just watched this i will never look at a square old nail the same way again!

Thanks man! Pretty awesome isn't it. I wonder if a skilled blacksmith would make two at once so there was no down time waiting for the iron to heat back up. It looked like it took 3 heats to make one nail, so if he wasnt working on two at once, he would be twiddling his thumbs.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow - that was an amazing video. That took a tremendous amount of both muscle power, skill and experience. Would've been really cool to see him put a rosehead on that nail. Thanks for posting that!

Thanks man! There were some others on youtube where they did the rose heads on them, but I really liked this guys video so I picked it. ha I watched some of his other videos where he makes his own tools and stuff.... I really liked finding iron tools before, but after seeing a blacksmith make some of them, I like them even more. ha I want to see one make a drill bit like I dug a couple weeks ago. ha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread