Carlos III cuff links, NY "Excelsior" button, Religious medal and more...

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took a personal day off work yesterday to enjoy detecting on a prefect spring day. It's so much nicer than being out there when its 25 degrees and I have 5 layers on and hand warmers in my gloves.

I've found that the first couple hours is the most productive for me when I'm trying to listen to the faint signals in the trash pit that is void of nonferrous signals. I think that's because I'm not mentally fatigued from all the chatter yet. Well we had some good rain since I was last at this site a couple weeks ago and not but a few feet from where I dug the 2 Excelsior buttons, I got the coil just right to hear a few more signals.

In one plug I found 4 "buttons" and the weird lead thing that looks like a smiley face. The first "button" out of the plug had a shield on it... I immediately thought "no way is this another real cuff link" (I found a pillars and globe link at a different site a couple weeks ago), then a tombac and then another of the same "buttons" with the shield, finally a flat button and the lead thing. A couple feet away was the 3rd Excelsior button from this site all within a small area. I am pretty sure there is more down there. I will be returning to sift this section... based on the number of buttons from this small area in the last couple hunts, I think there is more down there.

Some NICE forged nails turned up with 3 rose heads in the same plug. A cool religious medal also turned up (still researching it). A 3 ringer, some others odds and ends and a big piece of a bell was in the pit in an area I haven't sifted yet.... very deep and found it digging some big iron and using my pin pointer.

IMG_20160318_083939190.jpg

IMG_20160318_084024855.jpg

IMG_20160318_084114608.jpg IMG_20160318_084138840.jpg

These links are the Carlos III type according to Patriotic & Commemorative Buttons They are actually miniature 8 reales and both shanks are intact. A big wish of mine is to find a connected pair of links one day. It makes me wonder how these got detached with the shanks intact. Perhaps they were also used as cuff buttons instead of links? I was very excited to see these turn up and pretty blown away to find a different style, at a different site, since I didn't even know they existed prior to the pillars and column link from a couple weeks ago.

IMG_20160318_084223996.jpg IMG_20160318_102437813.jpg
Reale Links.jpg

The Excelsior button fell apart before I touched it. Of the three from this spot, the two with more gilt were found detached. After receiving great information from my previous excelsior post, I glued this one back together.

IMG_20160318_084302028.jpg
Cropped.jpg

All three of them back together (new one far right). Does anyone know how many would be on a coat? After finding these three in one area it makes me think there might be the rest of them.

IMG_20160318_084515307.jpg

Edit: Thanks to Bramblefind, I got an accurate identification on the religious medal. Its Italian devotional medal for St. Domenico. It reads "Roma" for Rome. Here is a link to another one http://metaldetectoritalia.forumfree.it/?t=70614005

I finally had some time to research this medal and it has become my favorite find from the hunt. It appears to be a Catholic medal for good health.

On the front is San (Staint) Domenico. Hes holding a horseshoe in one hand and a tooth in the other. Some background on it is "Domenico was in Cocullo Italy for a short time, and left to the local church one molar tooth and the horseshoe of his female mule, which are still preserved in the church with great devotion. The horseshoe has healing power against animal bites, the tooth on those bitten by poisonous snakes." So respectively, on the side he is holding the tooth, there is a snake at his feet, and on the side he is holding the horseshoe, there is an animal at his feet. http://www.italyheritage.com/magazine/2001_04/0104_l.htm

On the back is "Our Lady of Sorrows" who is the Virgin Mary with 7 daggers sticking in her chest. In the small text under her it says "Roma" (aka: Rome) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_Sorrows

Still no idea on age, but based on this site 95% of the finds fall between 1750 and 1860... my best guess on this medal is probably the mid 1800's, although it would be cool if it was earlier!

IMG_20160318_084049461.jpg

I typically don't find this many rose heads on a single hunt. Usually its a handful of square nails for one rose head. Yesterday I got 3 really nice rose heads in one hole all in the pit area. I've seen people post them on here and think they are copper because of the lack of corrosion and how the sound off when in the dirt. I can't explain why rose heads seem to come out in better condition than other nails, but they are indeed iron, and I find many that don't have much corrosion. Here are the 6 from yesterday after tumbling for a few hours. The head on one looks spotless and is by far the nicest condition one yet. I dug about 100 square nails yesterday... all being tumbled now (there are one or two more rose heads in the tumbler too)

IMG_20160317_201831032.jpg
IMG_20160317_204831967.jpg

Any ideas on this one? It was in the hole with the links. It looks like it was cast... perhaps a button? I think the smiley face is just a coincidence :)

IMG_20160318_084233958.jpg

The first target from yesterday turned out to be this rather old button. It has a nice design on it and I was lucky enough to see the broken shank in the dirt embedded in the back of it.

IMG_20160318_084400932.jpg

Edit: Almost forgot... the rivet is one of the anchor rivets. I believe this is my 3rd one with an anchor on it in the 6+ years I've been detecting.... they're almost always blank.

IMG_20160318_110644.jpg

Thanks for looking and good luck swinging before the grass grows too tall :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Upvote 16

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Nice recoveries Brad. The variety at your site is what I miss most about VA. Quality colonial and Civil War is tough to beat. Great quality. Can't wait to see what you sift up. That's my favorite type of hunting. Nice to find the non metallic relics, I hope some pipes show up.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer finds Brad. I would love to find a pair of those cufflinks. I know they've been found around here I just can't seem to dig any. The medallion and New York buttons a great too. The New York buttons I've found have all cleaned up great with a little aluminum jelly.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds there friend! I love it all, especially the religious medal as I also just found last week, a Virgin Mary immaculate conception

I also love your Excelsior button. Hope you find the rest. I've only still found the one at my site. Picture is in my gallery

Thank you SirWalterRaleigh! I checked out your gallery... really nice Excelsior and that Virgin Mary medal is cool :thumbsup: I went back for a couple hours yesterday and removed the sod from a 4'x4' section where the buttons were... didn't find any more, but I did get another civilian button and 1800 LC. I'll widen the search area and hopefully find some more of them.

What a wonderful bunch of recoveries . Congratulations on finding the good targets in the trash

Thank you 46Wheat! I'm constantly amazed at what is masked down there. One of the best feelings is taking a deep shovel full of dirt, dumping it on the ground, and hearing a crisp tone in it.

Nice recoveries Brad. The variety at your site is what I miss most about VA. Quality colonial and Civil War is tough to beat. Great quality. Can't wait to see what you sift up. That's my favorite type of hunting. Nice to find the non metallic relics, I hope some pipes show up.

Thanks a ton Evan! VA is the best :thumbsup: I have Bill to thank you urging me to sift last summer... turns out its more fun than detecting. I'm dying to sift more of the pit, but want to wait until the ground is dry this summer so its easier to sift. Last summer I got about 6 sifting trips in, but one trip I was able to spent the whole day sifting and the results were AWESOME... here is that old post if you hadn't seen it: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...lc-bone-tooth-brush-41-buttons-much-more.html My previous trips turned up the same stuff, just less of it. Then in Dec, I opened a little section a few feet away from where I sifted last summer and a few good things turned up http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...-x2-pligrim-hat-telegraph-insulator-more.html. So... I'm really excited to sift this summer since I know there is a lot left... and I have a half dozen plates and bowls that I'd like to find the rest of the pieces to.

Killer finds Brad. I would love to find a pair of those cufflinks. I know they've been found around here I just can't seem to dig any. The medallion and New York buttons a great too. The New York buttons I've found have all cleaned up great with a little aluminum jelly.

Thanks Joey! I know where you can "find" a set nicer than mine :laughing7: I didn't even know these things existed until a few weeks ago when that one turned up at a diff site 30 miles from this one.... then these surfaced... crazy how stuff like that happens. A year or two ago Abe found a real Spanish 1 real that someone had turned into a button... now that would be cool to find 1/2 real links made with actual Spanish coins. I was really excited to hit those NY buttons with aluminum jelly based on the amount of gilt that was showing when they were dug.... typically I have great results even when just a bit of gilt is showing. Oddly, they didnt clean up too much and I stopped when I saw there were sections that were down to the brass base metal. They still look awesome even glued back together.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That horse shoe been buried for quite a while

Thanks joee5! It actually came out of electrolysis (with a few other things) yesterday and I got hot wax on it this morning.

IMG_20160321_125554.jpg

I always zap the whole shoes even if I store them after... actually just gave a preserved one as a gift and they really liked it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread