Cave found with Confederate muskets, saddles and crates

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very odd for a 11 year old to be scared about taking some rusty old buried civil war guns buried in a cave 3-1/3 miles from town...more amazing a 13 year old couldn’t convince em to dig into the “crates” to see what was in them....are you sure your not kin of Honest Samuel?

I’m surprised your parents didn’t have you lead them to this cave..surely they were wise enough to have known the value at the time.

At least your here sharing it with this little group of treasure hunters.

Caches

Mar 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yes I posted the first post to state how we found it and then a second post as an update so I wasn’t throwing a bunch of information at one time. I joined this site cause I thought there would be some kind of support on what to do cause I don’t just go treasure hunting when we found it. But this site is looking to be a joke from all the criticism just from my first ever post on here.

Unfortunately, when it comes to matters of treasure... People will be people. They are generally terrible. You and your brother won't be able to trust a living soul with this find. My advice is keep it strictly confidential between the two of you. Practice the highest degree of secrecy.

Just ignore the trolls here. I know the site is overflowing with them. These are people who simply have nothing better to do with their lives. So its better to just have compassion for them and let them try to scrape together what little badly needed self-validation they can. Just remember that most of them really have no clue what they're talking about. The "Likes" from their fellow trolls are the only fuel that keeps them going.

Good luck with your find.

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, when it comes to matters of treasure... People will be people. They are generally terrible. You and your brother won't be able to trust a living soul with this find. My advice is keep it strictly confidential between the two of you. Practice the highest degree of secrecy.

Just ignore the trolls here. I know the site is overflowing with them. These are people who simply have nothing better to do with their lives. So its better to just have compassion for them and let them try to scrape together what little badly needed self-validation they can. Just remember that most of them really have no clue what they're talking about. The "Likes" from their fellow trolls are the only fuel that keeps them going.

Good luck with your find.

Trolls?! Most all of us are long standing members who've earned the trust of our fellow members. The "Trolls" as you call them, are in fact some of those who sign up, and immediately claim, usually with scant evidence, that they have found, or are about to uncover, the worlds greatest's treasures. If that isn't trolling, I don't know what is!

Last edited:

Caches

Mar 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Trolls?! Most all of us are long standing members who've earned the trust of our fellow members. The "Trolls" as you call them, are in fact some of those who sign up, and immediately claim, usually with scant evidence, that they have found, or are about to uncover, the worlds greatest's treasures. If that isn't trolling, I don't know what is!

I have a recommendation for you and others... Take a deep look inwardly and ask yourselves where you are getting this sense of entitlement that makes you think anyone should have to prove anything to you. Anyone who ever comes here and begins to share information about their projects immediately gets lambasted by people endlessly demanding concrete evidence that proves their whole story isn't a complete lie in the first place. The poster eventually gets drowned out by skeptics who's real life treasure hunting experience never went beyond scanning public parks with a $300 metal detector. This guy could have found something I for one would love to hear more about but probably won't get a chance to because the same ole troll clan has already turned him off to the entire community.

People don't owe you anything. You should feel fortunate to hear anything about this find. If you choose to believe its all a lie (most probably a projection of your own tendencies) then simply ignore the post or remain silent until the OP chooses to divulge the information you feel so entitled to.

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have recommendation for you and others... Take a deep look inwardly and ask yourselves where you are getting this sense of entitlement that makes you think anyone should have to prove anything to you. Anyone who ever comes here and begins to share information about their projects immediately gets lambasted by people endlessly demanding concrete evidence that their whole story isn't a complete fabrication. The poster eventually gets drowned out by skeptics who's real life treasure hunting experience never went beyond scanning public parks with a $300 metal detector that sees no more than 2 ft underground. This guy could have found something I for one would love to hear more about but probably won't get a chance to because the same ole troll clan has already turned him off to the entire community.

People don't owe you anything. You should feel fortunate to hear anything about this find. If you choose to believe its all a lie (most probably a projection of your own tendencies) then simply ignore the post or remain silent until the OP chooses to divulge the information you feel so entitled to.

You can get down off your high horse now. Entitlement is a two way street my friend. You feel awfully entitled to call out others and insult them yourself....

Seeking out further information or evidence of their claims isn't being a troll, it's peer review, it's critical thinking, it's being a seeker of the truth.

Last edited:

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure who said I contacted the FBI. No one knows about this except the people on this page, my brother and my grandparents.

==========

Don't underestimate the audience you reach here. When you say "No one knows about this except the people on this page", I don't think you are taking into consideration of the number people who are not members here, but are still able to read posts and maps. When I took this snapshot your thread had been viewed 2,595 times in a day and a half time span. Not so few is it ? Just be careful and I hope what you have is a nice piece of history.

2020-04-10 01_28_46-TreasureNet - Active Topics ..png

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you have to understand that this site has been around for a long time and we have seen a lot of april fools jokes and just others that have lead us on
and on and on just for us to find out they were scamming us for their amusement
a pic is worth a thousand words here - i hope your find is true

Yes I posted the first post to state how we found it and then a second post as an update so I wasn’t throwing a bunch of information at one time. I joined this site cause I thought there would be some kind of support on what to do cause I don’t just go treasure hunting when we found it. But this site is looking to be a joke from all the criticism just from my first ever post on here.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome to TreasureNet Jake !
I'm wondering since this is apparently 2 different eras of finds in one spot,
I'm wondering if this was a Basement of an old house or bunker at one time.
Your apparently traveling a good Distance to get there, So I understand you can't just stick everything in a Backpack & Hike out,
but looking forward to what ever you feel comfortable sharing in pics with us next time there.

Congrats & Good luck with your Treasure :coffee2:

By the way, you said it's been about 6 years since you were first there.
If it's sitting exactly the same for 6 years, I'd call it "Abandoned" And/or "unknown"

perhaps Take a Newspaper there, Lay it at a Spot where anyone who goes there would Move it.
or thread Stretched at about Chest High across the Entrance.
so animals can't molest it.
at least Something you can check each time to know, no one else has been there.

p.s.
Don't post any pics that show landmarks in the back-round that can be recognized :treasurechest:

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not give out any more clues. At all. Also, take a look on Google or another search engine and look for either "civil war hat" or WWI hat and even Spanish American war hat, then you will have a better idea on your own of what you actually have.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another treasure hunters trick is to disable the camera's location settings if your phone is so equipped.
No use giving away the location where a photo was taken by posting the photo online with a geo tag embedded on it.

• Select the Camera app from the “all apps” section.
  • Tap left menu on the display.
  • Click “Settings,” then toggle “Save location” to off.

This is very interesting and I'm looking forward to more posts and images. But like Goodguy says above, turn off or disable the GPS location for images before snapping images and check regularly because my phone has turned it back on before.
And absolutely make sure to do a double-check for and remove any GPS location before posting an image.

Thanks for posting, best of luck and whatever you do stay safe and cautious. (All the information and comments can be hard to filter but you're handling it pretty well for a 19 year old new member.)

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it’s still quite aways off. I’m not gonna tell you where it’s at or even close to where it’s at. Lol. I may of said fort Gibson to throw you off and it really be outside of gore or Webber’s falls. I’m not stupid to tell even close to it’s location. But good luck.

This is your latest post in this thread. You keep giving out way too much info. Somebody is going to find it before you go back, or is that your play all along?!?

[Edited: attack on other Member and his thread Removed : Don't go there if you Like being Here :sadsmiley: I'm loosing my Patience {jeff of pa}
]

Last edited by a moderator:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
This isn't another episode of "Church Swaller" is it? Anybody writing a book about this yet?

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jake for your sake I hope this is real as it sounds like an awesome treasure adventure. The first thought most have is that it can't be civil war if there's stuff from that era and a wwI item... but who know's how it got there. I'll keep following this thread to see some pictures when you go back! If you get good pictures people on this site will help you identify and preserve it. Don't give any clues as to the whereabouts or it will be found by others and taken away from you. If this is a joke it's a good one.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well welcome to T-Net, I never got 107 replies to my first post!

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some more questions while we wait for the follow up pictures that can help us visualize what has been found:

You said you and your brother first discovered it when you were 13 and he was 11 and that when you went back there it was a boat ride to the disembarkment point and then another 3.5 hours hike to the cave. (so about 8-10 hours round trip travel time, not including exploration time of the cave) What made you and your brother at such a young age travel so deep and far into the woods? Did you have a map or a clue it was there or were you just random wandering in the woods and stumbled across it?

You said there were boots in there. Were they in matched pairs or just single shoes? Did they have laces or buckles? Were they of leather or fabric of some sort? Where they Ankle high, calve high?

In re-reading your first couple of posts, you just went back to it recently and brought out one of the guns and one of the hats.

Were the items stacked neatly in the cave or were they a jumble?

Were there other items in there, such as household items?

Was there any trash in there (old bottles, cans etc)?

What do you estimate was the newest item in there?

You said there were multiple guns. Did they appear to all be the same model?

You said there were crates. Were they open crates or sealed crates?

Were they metal or wood crates? What was inside them?

Were the items near the entrance or farther back in?

Last edited:

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some more questions while we wait for the follow up pictures that can help us visualize what has been found:

You said you and your brother first discovered it when you were 13 and he was 11 and that when you went back there it was a boat ride to the disembarkment point and then another 3.5 hours hike to the cave. (so about 8-10 hours round trip travel time, not including exploration time of the cave) What made you and your brother at such a young age travel so deep and far into the woods? Did you have a map or a clue it was there or were you just random wandering in the woods and stumbled across it?

You said there were boots in there. Were they in matched pairs or just single shoes? Did they have laces or buckles? Were they of leather or fabric of some sort? Where they Ankle high, calve high?

In re-reading your first couple of posts, you just went back to it recently and brought out one of the guns and one of the hats.

As the saying goes..."Inquiring minds want to know".

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jake,

Word to the wise.........

Please take photos of the artifacts just as they lay without first handling them, especially since they are rotting and will disintegrate.
Preserving them as is, is a painstaking task but is necessary to maintain their value. Something to study up on in your spare time.

Be careful not to get any archaeologists involved unless you just want to donate the find to a museum for posterity.
If you do decide to do that then whatever you do, do not disturb the artifacts. Let the professionals take it from there.

If the word gets out about your find and the artifacts are ruined by your actions and you can be identified, Jail time and fines are sure to be imposed.
Think this through before taking on the liability of the consequences.

That's why genuine significant finds are never posted/advertised by professional treasure hunters unless they have first reported their finds to the proper authorities and comply with recovery guidelines. Of course most treasure finds are kept absolutely secret for obvious reasons.

Only minor artifacts found here and there are generally posted by amateurs. That is why your post is getting so much attention.

Google: Mel Fisher and Doc Noss for a couple examples of what treasure hunters face.

Better safe than sorry,
Good luck my friend.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jakewc10

Greenie
Apr 8, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You’ve been trying to dig the location out of me this entire post and it’s not happening. Yes I gave a fake location because of people like you. You’ve been trolling my post this entire time starting with your comments about the boat I took to get there. Yes me and my brother grew up rough with a well for water we had to pump and a generator for electric that we only ran at night before bed. We had full range to go and do anything we wanted as long as our chores were done. We were taking the boat up and down the rivers bow fishing. Sorry we weren’t sheltered like you were and probably grew up with AC. So stop trying to troll this post and trying to find my location. You’re literally the only person on here that’s given me a hard time just cause your lil brain can’t comprehend that someone actually found something. I’ll delete this hole thread and just say forget this site cause I just joined to share what I found and to get advise cause I don’t treasure hunt but dealing with people like you i might as well of posted it on a Facebook group. I’ll get pics next weekend cause this is Easter weekend and got plans with family.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think GoDeep is after your "treasure". I think he was after the truth. We're standing by waiting to help you identify items as you show them.

After all - YOU were the one who posted the story on an international website. As Yoda might say: "Way to keep a secret, that is not."

What are you looking for?

PS - How about this for helpful - your pistol may be what's left of an 1836 R. Johnson (Middleton, Conn) percussion pistol. Converted to percussion in the 1850's - they were used in the Civil War.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread