afmo

Jan 29, 2017
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TreasurePro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stand by # 15. Each to their own.
It's not to each their own though. There's plenty of laws that prohibit the ghoulish practice, not to mention both common sense and decency.

Add on the fact that people doing stuff like this are eventually going to ruin the ability to metal detect for all of us and it's a pretty cut and dry discussion.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
My headstone...
Here lies Escape
Metal Detecting Permitted
Good Luck!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I caught you detecting where my people are laid to rest, you wouldn't be posting your finds here on Tnet.

OP
OP
junkhunt

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't trying to start a flame war here. All I did was ask a simple question that needed a simple answer. WOW, now here is some make a little childish threat.

May you be berried under a billion pull tabs. I have never been on a hunt in a cemetery and thinks to the people with respectful answers I now know what I need to know I will never hunt a cemetery.

Thank you

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry about it junkhunt. The question gets asked probably at least a couple times a year and the response is always emotional. That's just the kind of topic it is. It is really great that you asked ahead of time.

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Common sense tells you its totally wrong,but there are those that have no morals and would do anything if they thought they could find something valuable

Maybe or maybe not. I could give folks a wide range of scenarios that will make people pause from an old Indian burial ground to burial spots of people not in a graveyard. Also given the cultural shift in America not sure that such views could change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Has anybody hunted cemeteries? I don't know if hunting a cemetery would be looked at as disrespectful or would be like anyplace else.
We have some cemeteries here that go back to the early 1800s and sure would like to see whats there. :angel7:

I have. I've no hangups on the issue.

I was discreet, of course. Cemetaries way out in the country before dusk. I only found clad and trash that I took with me. The real find was 7 brass grave plates in a line everyone has been driving over for who knows how long. I cut 2 inches of sod around them, left them exposed as "holes" and tossed the sod into the pasture. Perhaps there will be 7 holes noticed in the road by some caretaker. They can thank their gods on my behalf.

See how grey life really is!

OP
OP
junkhunt

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry about it junkhunt. The question gets asked probably at least a couple times a year and the response is always emotional. That's just the kind of topic it is. It is really great that you asked ahead of time.
Thanks for your reply.

Some people here are making it sound like I'm going to dig up a coffin and be a grave robber, That be further from the truth.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really ? " I don't know if hunting a cemetary would be looked at as disrespectful " Seriously? , that would be the definition of a " junkhunt"

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe I read that Memorial Day started after the Civil War when families would meet at burial sites and that is how the tradition got started. I personally wouldn't do it. Unless I was dressed up like a ghost. Lol

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know of several old forgotten cemeteries. I look around them when I am close but not in them for the simple reason if someone was to show up the first thing they would think is that I was digging up bodies for jewelry or some such stupid reason. Just like most folks here think when they see me with a detector that I'm looking for gold. If you detect around one or not regardless always fill in your holes...d2

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one of the oldest cemetary in the county on my land and did never detect in the cemetary. If I see one, he will get off believe me.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would never detect in a cemetery, but here's my take on it. The general public would think you're a jerk for doing it because it's hallowed ground. But those same people do nothing to keep that hallowed ground in presentable shape. I've found dozens of small cemeteries that are in deplorable condition. Knocked over grave markers, tree branches everywhere, haven't been mowed in decades, beer bottles and trash strewn about and so on. Hard to be self-righteous when you're sitting on your butt doing nothing to improve these places.

In my opinion, the worst thing that can happen to you isn't dying, it's being forgotten after your gone. I always pick up a few tree branches and toss the beer bottles out of the cemeteries I encounter. Let's those that are buried there know that someone remembers them and cares about the condition of their final rest place...

afmo

Jan 29, 2017
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TreasurePro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When one of you gets caught and it makes the local news and some politician makes it his mission to put an end to metal detecting, some of you will have no one to blame but yourselves.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Junkhunt,

Pretty common question actually, all those post after are also pretty common answers.

All legalities to the side there are just some things that folks will risk going to jail over because it is a question of morality, maybe you find one where it is legal. cool, but how most people are going to react is not going to be legal, but would it stop them.

Onlookers often already have very crazy thoughts running through their minds seeing us hunt, and often express that through some pretty wild questions; now mix that with the emotional state most feel when at burial grounds.

So again, even if you have legal documents signed by a judge with you while in the process, I do not think that is really going to help you when confronted.

Just my thoughts.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I remember reading in a Metal Detecting magazine (back in the late 80's or early 90's) about this same question.

Their hunting sites were "abandoned" church grounds and graveyards. Anything outside of the cemetery was considered fair game, while inside the cemetery itself was off limits. Their quest was things dropped while going into or coming from the graveyard. They also detected the church grounds with some nice finds.

Personally, no problem with the areas around abandoned sites but, for those still in use though --- please have respect for the living and their feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread