Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was almost tempted to detect around this grave, but didn't do it. Just imagine all the historical relics buried with this guy! LOL!

george washington.JPG

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This thread just won't die.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry Tim, nobody's detector will go deep enough to see any relics as deep as most bodies are buried. Also I have never heard of people putting wedding rings near graves, they are usually kept by relatives as mementos. Regarding rosaries, I doubt any real silver ones were ever buried out side a grave, these things are passed down through generations. Not many catholics in colonial times in my area anyways, WASPs around here. The only things I have found in colonial church grounds were old coins dropped by folks, and not put there intentionally, and trash like nails left over from church renovations. In the days of yore church grounds were home to many cake sales, picnics, etc and people had no qualms about being amongst the graves.

Wv 49er

Tenderfoot
Apr 14, 2017
Clarksburg Wv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not going to say I have not seen one do it just for military artifacts im going to tell you how many people surrounded him with 2x4s and a couple shovels in tow don't even ask anyone at any cemetery and it ticks me off to see our government dig on any of theses sites reguardless if it was to build on Absolutely No One should be moved from there resting place and any thing removed 24 men surrounded that guy they tiptoed in and just grabbed him his detector demolished and his prizes returned good thing he had a good memory they walked him to his car and waved him off

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You want to know whats there? Isn't it obvious?

Catanza

Mar 27, 2017
South Bend IN
Detector(s) used
At Pro nel Thunder coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems like a bad idea to me but I was talking to a old guys when I was detecting and he was telling me a story about his budy found 5 gold coins at one.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Hunting with my friends this past weekend we hit a park that had an old cemetery near one end with stones that had dates where people died back to the 1800's.
I know this because I walked in there to check a few out but my tools and detector were left in the truck.
When we hunted this park we gave a wide berth to this place...all for these many reasons.

Not even counting the legal or moral issues there are all kinds of ways even hunting near these places can go sideways...quick.

Another problem with this....even if you hunt just the outskirts, sidewalks, maybe not even go inside a cemetery but just hunt outside the property this is 2017 and just one ignorant person or even a hint of a false rumor and things can get out of control quickly.
How many have had issues just hunting curb strips in regular neighborhoods and had the cops called on them...more than one.
You can be outside the property looking in curb strips or sidewalks and nowhere near the cemetery and all it takes is one person that does not like you doing this calls the cops and reports you are inside the cemetery digging up graves.
Sure it's a lie but if you think this can't happen...don't be so sure.
Why even take the chance like this guy did back in 2008?
He was an innocent newbie, didn't think or suspect what he was doing was wrong or disrespectful at all but once the authorities and the media got involved his life and the lives of his whole family changed.
Eventually he was found innocent but it cost him money, humiliation and a whole lot of hassle for a long time.

Grave concerns | Brantford Expositor

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not going to take a gold ring off of anybody's hand or dig up someone. Just hunting in the normal way.
Respect is the big thing here. There are people out there like myself that have real issues with people disrespecting graves. I walk beside the graves or along the backs of the headstones not over them. I've actually walked over and talked to parents who think it's ok to let their kids use the grounds as a playground. These are graves! Peoples relatives and family members that got to move on sooner than the rest of us!

With that being said, Would you like someone tap dancing over or around your families graves? Then show some respect. There's a ton of places to detect that are almost guaranteed to give up more finds.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bad karma

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is just wrong.

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OMG! it's the Walking Thread! Hahaha

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I go where I am sent by my forefathers, no ifs ands or buts about it. "On the Mountain of Death amid the rocks skeletons and petrified oaks." morton 1.jpg

L.C. Baker:occasion14: Always leave the graves looking better than when you arrived. Always remember you are on hallowed ground. If you were not told to go there I would think twice before just searching without a cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions