d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looking around one and looking in it are different things altogether. Like I said earlier I wouldn't look in one but the parking lot and around it as far as I am concerned would be OK. Now I live in a very rural part of Arkansas and common sense goes along way with me and the people I encounter. No way anyone would think I was digging up bodies but I wouldn't give them the opportunity to even think I was. Plus I am a good guy and ain't prone to jumping out of the traces over little things or worry what people think...d2

rotty23

Nov 9, 2005
Greer SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab quattro and AT Pro
Why would you even ask that question? You should be ashamed of yourself!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I live there are many old churches dating back to the early 1700s. I have had the pleasure of hunting a lot of these churches with the pastors' permission. There are graves on a lot of these church grounds and the pastors told me I could hunt around the graves and I have done so with no remorse since I had permission from those in charge of these grounds. It is not a sin and I will not burn in hell. When I was in fourth grade they put in a housing development near where I live and they literally bulldozed a cemetery with over a hundred graves in it an it was perfectly legal under New York state statutes. Kids came to class with oddities found there for show and tell. Many older cemeteries are built over and have been for years. This may alienate some folks but what about all the Native American and early settler graves dug up in the name of archaeology and science? MDers are not desecrating anything, or digging up graves like the archies do. If a cemetery is abandoned in the woods I see no harm in looking for lost items, there are no decendants left to care, and nobody sees. This thread will probably be locked soon as they all do, perhaps this post deleted.

Last edited:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said Gunsil, but a good rule of thumb is that not all things lawful may be advantageous.

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to, but it's just seems so wrong and I'm not about to ruin detecting for the rest because there's already too many laws against us.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would you do if you found a wedding ring or a silver rosary at the base of a headstone? Many people bury things at a loved one's grave. Those items weren't lost, they were placed there for a reason. Taking them would be lower than low.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I have outright detected in the graveyard. My brother and sister who died at birth were buried in a family plot with those metal funeral home markers as we couldn't afford regular headstones. That worked just fine until the cemetery got a caretaker and he just mowed right over them. Kinda doubtful as to the exact location then, but I detected out the posts of the original markers and put flat markers there so everybody who wants to remember them can. Off to the side of this family plot is an unmarked small grave from when the country was settled there in Washita County OK. Grandpa thought it was a small child that every body forgot and he always decorated it. I got to thinkin I'm the last in this generation that can walk right to the location, so I walked down the road, found some aluminum beer cans and mashed them flat and buried them at the foot and head of the grave. Swing the detector and you can find the grave. All I could do, and I suppose some day it will all be plowed up and they will put a wind farm up there, haha!

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
What would you do if you found a wedding ring or a silver rosary at the base of a headstone? Many people bury things at a loved one's grave. Those items weren't lost, they were placed there for a reason. Taking them would be lower than low.

Take it. Abandoned property IMO.

I used to mow cemetaries with my grandpa. Sooner or later everything not anchored to the earth is removed - no matter who or why it was left there. That's just a fact of cemetary care experience.

Good question. :icon_thumright:

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
I personally wouldn't detect a cemetery. It is not worth the hassle for a few items that could be found. Besides, what would the archies do if they had competition robbing graves? :laughing9:

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ... I thought this thread was about to die ... but it has come back to life.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If when I died, and the cemetery is abandoned and I been dead for over 200 years. No problems if people search only for single coins and jewels. Good hunting and good luck.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If when I died, and the cemetery is abandoned and I been dead for over 200 years. No problems if people search only for single coins and jewels. Good hunting and good luck.

If you've been dead 200 years, I would say there isn't much you could do about it anyway.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never ceases to amaze me when this topic comes up, it is so obviously wrong that anyone suggesting otherwise comes across as the greedy ghouls that they are.

I'd advise if you want to do it [and haven't by any means red through this thread to find out who wants to do what] ,, If anyone wants to do it, use some sense and keep it to yourself and just go ahead and do it if you really must, don't go looking for any confirmations of some nagging doubt you may have.
I could make a nice fortune tomorrow by conking someone on the head and taking his wallet, only my common sense and decency prevents me from doing so.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it. Abandoned property IMO

Not abandoned, left there for a loved one.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people can justify anything immoral, unethical or illegal they do in this world...

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it. Abandoned property IMO.

I used to mow cemetaries with my grandpa. Sooner or later everything not anchored to the earth is removed - no matter who or why it was left there. That's just a fact of cemetary care experience.

Good question. :icon_thumright:
May God bless grandpa and that nobody dig up his grave.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have old cemeteries but no way. IMG_2276.JPG IMG_2278.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk