Changed Tactics Again...and Found SPANISH SILVER!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earlier this week I was detecting along the river bank near my house and found a bottle dump coming out of the river bank. I decided that I would try the dump again this morning with some better digging tools. I found a bunch of decent bottles (see the Bottles and Glass Forum for that post) so I thought my morning was complete. On the way back home I decided to detect an area that I have detected many times before...it's a pasture right beside my house. I have several old maps from the 1700s showing a village site in the area but I have never found anything older than the late 1800s...until today!

The signal was kind of scratchy until I flipped the plug...then it was giving me a consistent 92 reading on my F-75. I saw the edge and knew it was silver...I was thinking a Vicky quarter but was ecstatic to see that it was a clipped 2 reale Pistareen!!! There is hardly any wear on this coin at all and must have been clipped very near the date of circulation...1720s.

I've been detecting for 5 years and so far every year I have found Spanish silver! This is my first clipped silver which makes it even more special to me. I'm just over the moon right now!

Attachments

• 9 October 2010 004.jpg
    9 October 2010 004.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,298
  • 9 October 2010 005.jpg
    9 October 2010 005.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,291
  • 9 October 2010 008.jpg
    9 October 2010 008.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1,286
  • 9 October 2010 011.jpg
    9 October 2010 011.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,285
Upvote 0
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a very nice example of a clipped Spanish coin...Congrats. One a year for five years straight is not bad. Keep it up.

NJ

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N.J.THer said:
That is a very nice example of a clipped Spanish coin...Congrats. One a year for five years straight is not bad. Keep it up.

NJ

Thanks! If I can maintain one per year I will be very happy!

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice Reale ...congrats ! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
There's a new one, and now I can no longer say I don't know of a cut piece of Spanish silver dug up this way. They were pretty sloppy but being done right at half it was definitely the intention to separate into pieces.

I'm actually surprised that we don't see more clipped Spanish here...I wonder why.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:
There's a new one, and now I can no longer say I don't know of a cut piece of Spanish silver dug up this way. They were pretty sloppy but being done right at half it was definitely the intention to separate into pieces.

I'm actually surprised that we don't see more clipped Spanish here...I wonder why.

Rick, the fella from Southern ON that passed away in 86, all he would find there was cut reales, and never a whole coin. Just a guess but it could be from a shortage of small denomination coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread